TVD still humble

I don’t want to nitpick your point too much but arguably his best games were against the toughest teams on our schedule

Everyone keeps talking about the 300+ and 3+ streak. And rightfully so. It’s an insanely good streak. BUT:

UVA
UNC
Pitt
Duke
FSU
NC State

Remind me where the good defenses were?

UVA and UNC were literally historically bad. And we lost both those games. Duke doesn’t have 1 kid on their team who we recruited. Those are awful defenses.

Again, he deserves a ton of praise. We are and should be excited. All of that. But let’s see where we stand after A&M.

Advertisement
Everyone keeps talking about the 300+ and 3+ streak. And rightfully so. It’s an insanely good streak. BUT:

UVA
UNC
Pitt
Duke
FSU
NC State

UVA and UNC were literally historically bad. And we lost both those games. Duke doesn’t have 1 kid on their team who we recruited. Those are awful defenses.

Again, he deserves a ton of praise. We are and should be excited. All of that. But let’s see where we stand after A&M.
Pitt on average gave up 264 yards passing.
UVA on average gave up 240 yards passing.
UNC 238
duke 311
FSpoo 233
nc state 207

not justifying it either...but what he did was impressive no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

UVA
UNC
Pitt
Duke
FSU
NC State

Meh. I dont know if that is fair. You can say that about every QB in the country pretty much that doesnt play in the SEC.

UVA
UNC
Pitt
Duke
FSU
NC State

I’m not saying you’re off base I’m just simply pointing out the obvious that two of his best games were against Pitt and NC St, the two ranked teams we played

But the entirety of the ACC is mediocre so yeah, to make it to this next level that people are talking about he’s gonna have to show out against the A&Ms and Clemsons of the world

I’ve tempered expectations this year a bit. I mean I’m as big a fan as anyone of him but he’s losing Rambo, new OC, it’s another year…we know it’s not that simple

But I’m not going to have some back and forth about TVD. I don’t really think that’s what you’re after either. Just adding some perspective to the hype

Hopefully TVD spreads it around a little more this year. He threw to the right a lot last year. That is something defenses can key on and take away.

Advertisement
Hopefully TVD spreads it around a little more this year. He threw to the right a lot last year. That is something defenses can key on and take away.
He's probably not going to have much of a choice but to spread it around. Rambo and Harley are gone, and those two guys accounted for 136 completions last year (out of 295 total among all players). WRs are going to need to step up, but so is TVD to make certain he's putting them in position for success.

UVA
UNC
Pitt
Duke
FSU
NC State

In his defense, Lashlee only ever seemed to want to open the playbook when we were down. And with Manny running the defense, we weren't stopping much.

Advertisement
I just hope we don't take the ball out of his hands to achieve that balance on O. I remember JJ doing this to Marino and it sucked.

The rest of the article was just pathetic.
Marino was over the hill by the time Jimmy showed up. The problem was that Marino was selfish and only gave a **** about his numbers. Jimmy knew that he needed to at least try to run the ball and play defense to win and Marino wasn't going to go along with that. Besides being unable to hit on a franchise running back, trying to keep an obviously diminished Marino happy sucked up far too much of Jimmy's time.

There's a reason why Aikman has three rings, he was willing to sacrifice his own individual numbers in order to win.

Marino was over the hill by the time Jimmy showed up. The problem was that Marino was selfish and only gave a **** about his numbers. Jimmy knew that he needed to at least try to run the ball and play defense to win and Marino wasn't going to go along with that. Besides being unable to hit on a franchise running back, trying to keep an obviously diminished Marino happy sucked up far too much of Jimmy's time.

There's a reason why Aikman has three rings, he was willing to sacrifice his own individual numbers in order to win.
What about the Fins total inability to build a defense for 14/17 years of his career ? At the end of the day his style as a qb didn't mesh with Jimmy's philosophy. Doesn't take from JJ's coaching resume or Marino's standing as one of the most prolific passers in football history. I can only imagine what a guy like him would do in today's more wide open NFL.

Advertisement
Balance is great when you can actually get production from both sides. If we're still running the ball into a wall of defenders because our line can't block, I don't want to see 35 1 yard runs.
Part of that was bad O line blocking which should get fixed with the new coaches. Another problem was Lashlee had little to no creativity in his run game. Also as much as I love Rooster he is not an inside runner.

Aikman has three rings because he had, perhaps, the greatest OL in the history of the game in front of him. He had a HOF WR, RB, and TE as well. It had nothing to do with him not going for stats, but everything to do with the team around him. JJ treated Miami like he was still in Dallas, and it didn't work. Not because of Marino, but because he didn't have a roster full of HOF for a supporting cast that was needed to run what he ran in Dallas.

****, that's just on the O side of things. His defences were awesome as well.

I give JJ all the credit in the world for building that Dallas team, but he never came close to having that Dallas OL or Emmitt Smith to run through those holes you could drive a truck through while at Miami. It wasn't Marino wanting to go for stats, but wanting to win. He was still their best weapon, even if he wasn't the 1984 version of himself. It can be said that JJ was just as washed up as Marino by that point.

"Humble".

ZomboMeme 30102021175834.jpg

Advertisement
Aikman has three rings because he had, perhaps, the greatest OL in the history of the game in front of him. He had a HOF WR, RB, and TE as well. It had nothing to do with him not going for stats, but everything to do with the team around him. JJ treated Miami like he was still in Dallas, and it didn't work. Not because of Marino, but because he didn't have a roster full of HOF for a supporting cast that was needed to run what he ran in Dallas.

****, that's just on the O side of things. His defences were awesome as well.

I give JJ all the credit in the world for building that Dallas team, but he never came close to having that Dallas OL or Emmitt Smith to run through those holes you could drive a truck through while at Miami. It wasn't Marino wanting to go for stats, but wanting to win. He was still their best weapon, even if he wasn't the 1984 version of himself. It can be said that JJ was just as washed up as Marino by that point.
Guess who built that roster? Jimmy.

It's not an accident that as he rebuilt the Miami Defense, it became more and more obvious that Marino was declining. Amazing that you think that Johnson was washed, a mere 2 years after winning two consecutive Super Bowls. Had Jimmy continued to build that roster out, and been able to move on from Marino(Which wasn't ever happening, because South Florida would have revolted), odds are Jimmy would have found success. Unlike Elway, who accepted what Shanahan brought in when he showed up , and was willing to change the way he played to give himself a better chance at winning, Dan was all about himself. When a guy plays for TWO hall of fame coaches and has one SB appearance, it makes you wonder if there's something wrong with the player, not the coach. Shula failed Dan by not reining him in, honestly, Don was probably cruising to retirement, the younger Shula wouldn't have stood for the one man offense.

I heard a rumor a long time ago that Marino used to walk around Pitt’s campus with autographed pictures of himself to hand to people when they came to ask him for one. If true, arrogance like that will make you unteachable.
For whatever it’s worth, when I was an intern, I visited the Dolphins Marketing Department for an errand and Dan walked into my elevator as I was leaving. Said “hey boys” and started talking to us about where we worked. I’m not saying he wasn’t arrogant but I have heard nothing but positive stuff about Marino prior to that and that experience solidified it for me.

For whatever it’s worth, when I was an intern, I visited the Dolphins Marketing Department for an errand and Dan walked into my elevator as I was leaving. Said “hey boys” and started talking to us about where we worked. I’m not saying he wasn’t arrogant but I have heard nothing but positive stuff about Marino prior to that and that experience solidified it for me.
Who knows if the rumor I heard was true, probably it wasn't. People can change. Glad your experience was a positive one.

Who knows if the rumor I heard was true, probably it wasn't. People can change. Glad your experience was a positive one.
I've heard stories of Dan being a **** (wanting to jump the deli line at Publix stating "do you know who I am?", wanting to charge kids for autographs, etc) but to be honest, I don't really give a ****, he's still the man to me

Advertisement
Back