Trust Richt

Don't build him up but don't knock him down either. Let his record speak for itself when the games are finally played.

The guy is a good coach. He is not elite and isn't gonna suddenly transform into an elite coach. But he's very capable of winning it all here and hopefully he does before his time is up.

I haven't read anyone that has stated other wise. Its human nature to question why he didn't win it all at UGA. With the money and recruiting he had, a logical guess would be staff hires. Look no further than Saban and Meyer on the strength of their staffs. Its a fair conversation.

Advertisement
So we go from having Al Golden to having Mark Richt, and people are still finding things to cry about. Good grief Miami fans, get your **** together.

He did not have the money. UGA averaged seventh in football spending from 2008 and 2013. That, combined with draconian drug policies, a UGA police force that literally goes out of its way to arrest UGA athletes, and an AD he wanted his own guy from the moment he got on campus.

Richt has his issues, but with support from the administration that he didn't get at UGA, he can win big at Miami.

Don't build him up but don't knock him down either. Let his record speak for itself when the games are finally played.

The guy is a good coach. He is not elite and isn't gonna suddenly transform into an elite coach. But he's very capable of winning it all here and hopefully he does before his time is up.

I haven't read anyone that has stated other wise. Its human nature to question why he didn't win it all at UGA. With the money and recruiting he had, a logical guess would be staff hires. Look no further than Saban and Meyer on the strength of their staffs. Its a fair conversation.

LOL, the same crap was said about our former HC and we see what that got you.

Many of you obviously don't learn from your past and blind allegiance.

there's a difference between being happy with change and being happy to have a successful head coach

When shannon was let go we were excited for change and shortly removed from the glory days so a lot of the online boards were ecstatic to have someone new in.

Yet MANY were skeptical that he wasn't qualified with only an average record at Temple on his resume

This is not the same hire as our last five coaches, or any that we have ever had.

Richt is the only proven Head Coach Miami has ever hired. JJ and Howard hadn't accomplished nearly as much as Richt until they got here.

-He's got the 4th most wins in first 15 seasons in the history of college football at a power 5 school the entire time in the SEC of all conferences

-Miami has averaged 5.5 losses the last decade since 2006, Georgia 3.8 with only one season of more than five losses and one season at 5

-Georgia has an average of 7th in recruiting over the last decade and has finished outside the top 10 only twice (11th and 12th). Miami has average finish of 15 with top finish of 2 with the 2008 class(which drastically skews it higher not to mention complete lack of development and the clasee never panned out). Also the disasters of the 2011 season where we finished 33rd! and 27th last year.

-Richt was the play caller for two FSU national titles

-While Richt was play caller at Georgia he went:

01' -- 8-4 (first year)
02' -- 13-1 second year on campus...
03' -- 11-3
04' -- 10-2
05' -- 10-3
06' -- 9-4
07' -- 11-2

Average of a little more than 10 wins per season. Unheard of at Georgia since Dooley and even better than him in terms of percentage.

Miami's last ten win season? ****ING 2003 when we lost to Ohio State. We beat the Noles and won 11 games that year

let the man hire who he wants. Whether you wanted butch, herman, fuente, whoever. It would have been a worse hire than Richt. He's one of the best coaches in college football and our program has gone to **** the last fifteen years and we're lucky to have him.

our blind allegiance? Are fans not allowed to like a coaching hire ever then with your logic? You think those two statements are the same? You can like and question at the same time. I haven't read anyone that stated this isn't a good hire.

were you happy about Jimmy being hired, butch, coker, shannon, Golden? if you were even remotely happy about any hire miami has ever had than you had less reason to be happy then than you do now. he's the only proved one.

I admittedly held on to long with the Coker regime, but I was 100% against Shannon and Golden.

if we got urban meyer or nick saban would we have to "wait and see" before being happy and supportive of the coach?
Both have proven themselves at 2 different schools and won NC's at both. So that isn't an apples to apples. How many NC's has Mark won again? Aren't you even a little concerned why he has never won an NC?

smh people on here hoping he fails and hedging their bets just to try and be right on a message board

Who is hoping he fails? You're projecting now. No one has said that.

Also where is the negative data? There was a reason he was fired. What was it, 2-15 or something in big games over the last 7-8years.

Anyone can cherry pick good stats. Take a harder look over the last 5 years vs his 15 year career at UGA.
replies in bold

to the first point you highlighted on my line about Ohio State. My reference to a "10 win season" was talking about a season in which we won 10 or more games. Correcting me and saying 11 doesn't really change anything but if it makes you feel better then sure go ahead

to your second reply...My point about blind allegiance is that it is not blind at all for those of that follow football. It was not a phone interview where we hired a new head coach who's never coached before and we have no knowledge of who they are and what kind of success they can have. We have 15 plus years of records to look at before deciding if we want to back this coach. that is not blind allegiance. That is looking at the fact that he is a good head coach and rolling with it.

to your point about the national championship.. If Georgia gets 5 more yards in 2012 and beats Alabama and goes on to win the national title is he still fired this year? maybe, maybe not. If georgia's receiver doesn't drop that pass and get five more yards in that game is Richt all of a sudden a much better coach than he is right now because he would have won a national championship? I know it's a what-if but it's a fair question I think because that's how close he was and the game literally came down to one play(and georgia would have rolled notre dame). Did he win it? no. Can't argue that, but again no coach who was available this offseason has so i'm not worried there.

Would something as little as five yards change a view on a coach for not winning a title? He has been very close several times and has fallen short against Saban (arguably going to be top 3 coach of all time) and Meyer. Maybe i'm alone but I'm okay with that. I don't expect Richt to be Meyer or Saban. As much as I hate it, they are two of the greatest coaches in college football history. Would I be happier if he won 10 championships at Georgia? yes, but obviously he wouldn't be available if he did.

Because we are saying he's a proven coach doesn't mean we won't expect greatness from him here. Do I expect him to beat Jimbo and FSU? yes. Will I settle for average records in big games? No. However I'm not comparing Richt to Meyer and Urban, I'm comparing Richt to Coker, Shannon, and Golden and i'm happy that our program is 100 times better instantly with his hiring..

Coaches don't win championships and leave unless they are thrown out. (see larry coker above and gene chizik). No coach has ever won a championship before coaching at miami (in college, not referring to Saban and the bills). That's okay and a lot of us fans see that. Miami is a different beast, it brings the best and worst out in coaches. Those coaches who have it in them get the chance to succeed at Miami.

Point i'm trying to make is, obviously we all want a head coach that has won a national title, but how many head coaches that won national titles are currently available and interested in coaching at miami? unless i'm crazy, Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Stoops, Miles, etc. weren't available. It's easy to say a coach hasn't done something but this isn't build a coach on Madden. Who's available is who's available. Of course richt would be a better coach if he won a few national titles. But then he wouldn't be our coach right now. Same with any of our previous coaches.

What I see is a great coach. Not an elite coach, but a great one. Who now is in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, in a terrible division with great chance at finally overcoming the hurdle of winning it all.

There are plenty of negative stats to go off of I completely Agree. You know why I choose not to concern as much about them? because the "georgia decline" took place exactly as Richt lost play calling ability. He also screwed up and hired Martinez at DC which almost cost him his job (probably did in the grand scheme of things as it hindered them those years). That's why I am patiently waiting to see who is hired as DC.

he's 38-35 against ranked teams. is that amazing? No. But it is very good in my opinion while in the toughest conference in football.

Do you know when the last time Miami won vs a ranked team on the road? 2009 against FSU

It's Been Awhile Since Miami Beat a Ranked Team on the Road | Eleven Warriors

I see both sides of it. I'm eager to see if Richt still has it in him to call an offesne at an elite level. I'm willing to give him the doubt because nearly all of the negatives people see in him occurred while he wasn't calling plays. Maybe i'm not giving him enough blame for the failures at Georgia. But when a coach is hired and states he wants to call plays again and you look up his success when he was the one calling plays and it was incredible, it's hard not to be excited. Who knows though, that's what we will have to see

Last edited:

So you're comparing Richt to Golden? That's a lazy, mopish take. Richt has got class. He's got a resume. And he's a Cane. Weigh in after he's completed his staff - and completed a season.

Advertisement
The guy was just fired from his jab last month for non performance, and on top of that, his teams were slightly above average the past 3 years.

He was fired because Georgia fans think they are one coach away from being Alabama and didn't realize how good they had it with a guy who averaged 10 wins per year.

To put it in perspective, Phil Fulmer was terminated for "non-performance" in 2008 after nine 10+ win seasons. Since Fulmer, they are 43-44. There's not a bunch of coaches out there just waiting to come and win 13 games per year at your program.

Exactly. People don't realize how hard it is to win a national championship. Bobby Bowden and Tom Osborne were two the winningest coaches in college football. It took them 20+ years to win one. We all consider Urban Meyer an elite coach. Probably the best in the business. Do you realize that two of his three championships were won with the previous guy's players? Stoops, Tressel, Miles all have won it with the previous guys players and they're considered elite coaches. Chizik and Coker also did and they're gone.

Miami's last ten win season? ****ING 2003 when we lost to Ohio State. We beat the Noles and won 11 games that year

We lost to oswho in the 03 Fiesta and finished the season 12-1, We beat the Noles in the 04' Orange bowl. That was the year we played them twice and our record was 11-2. That's what I was trying to clarify. You were blending two seasons.

So you're comparing Richt to Golden? That's a lazy, mopish take. Richt has got class. He's got a resume. And he's a Cane. Weigh in after he's completed his staff - and completed a season.

NO

We lost to oswho in the 03 Fiesta and finished the season 12-1, We beat the Noles in the 04' Orange bowl. That was the year we played them twice and our record was 11-2. That's what I was trying to clarify. You were blending two seasons.

touche, it's been too long. My point exactly! ha

Advertisement
This fan base has been so battered and bruised lmao

That's the hilarious and infuriating part of it all.

If we are all being honest, we are stoked as **** to finally have a coach like Richt after the debacle we have had shoved down our throat for the last 12 years.

If we are equally as honest, we are still a pretty **** spoiled fan base, at least those of us that have experienced everything post-70s. So, we all have the compulsion to over analyze and concern ourselves with every single detail. Honestly, short of Saban or Meyer, that is probably unavoidable.

Personally, I'm f-ng tired. I'm letting go and letting Richt.

UM

I just hope Richt can put the fire back into this team. He seems like a nice coach and I hate nice coaches. I want somebody with the attitude like Saban or the Pirate.

What is this blind allegiance? Don't believe in a coach who has won 145 games in his first 15 seasons which is 4th most of all time ever? Hes not qualified enough, it's not like he doesn't annually bring in top 5 top 10 classes, right? LOL some of you are idiots.

Says the one who supported al golden in 2015. :durantunimpressed:

there's a difference between being happy with change and being happy to have a successful head coach

When shannon was let go we were excited for change and shortly removed from the glory days so a lot of the online boards were ecstatic to have someone new in.

Yet MANY were skeptical that he wasn't qualified with only an average record at Temple on his resume

This is not the same hire as our last five coaches, or any that we have ever had.

Richt is the only proven Head Coach Miami has ever hired. JJ and Howard hadn't accomplished nearly as much as Richt until they got here.

-He's got the 4th most wins in first 15 seasons in the history of college football at a power 5 school the entire time in the SEC of all conferences

-Miami has averaged 5.5 losses the last decade since 2006, Georgia 3.8 with only one season of more than five losses and one season at 5

-Georgia has an average of 7th in recruiting over the last decade and has finished outside the top 10 only twice (11th and 12th). Miami has average finish of 15 with top finish of 2 with the 2008 class(which drastically skews it higher not to mention complete lack of development and the clasee never panned out). Also the disasters of the 2011 season where we finished 33rd! and 27th last year.

01' -- 8-4 (first year)
03' -- 11-3
04' -- 10-2
05' -- 10-3
06' -- 9-4
07' -- 11-2

Average of a little more than 10 wins per season. Unheard of at Georgia since Dooley and even better than him in terms of percentage.

let the man hire who he wants. Whether you wanted butch, herman, fuente, whoever. It would have been a worse hire than Richt. He's one of the best coaches in college football and our program has gone to **** the last fifteen years and we're lucky to have him.

our blind allegiance? Are fans not allowed to like a coaching hire ever then with your logic? You think those two statements are the same? You can like and question at the same time. I haven't read anyone that stated this isn't a good hire.

were you happy about Jimmy being hired, butch, coker, shannon, Golden? if you were even remotely happy about any hire miami has ever had than you had less reason to be happy then than you do now. he's the only proved one.

I admittedly held on to long with the Coker regime, but I was 100% against Shannon and Golden.

if we got urban meyer or nick saban would we have to "wait and see" before being happy and supportive of the coach?
Both have proven themselves at 2 different schools and won NC's at both. So that isn't an apples to apples. How many NC's has Mark won again? Aren't you even a little concerned why he has never won an NC?

smh people on here hoping he fails and hedging their bets just to try and be right on a message board

Also where is the negative data? There was a reason he was fired. What was it, 2-15 or something in big games over the last 7-8years.

Anyone can cherry pick good stats. Take a harder look over the last 5 years vs his 15 year career at UGA.
replies in bold

to the first point you highlighted on my line about Ohio State. My reference to a "10 win season" was talking about a season in which we won 10 or more games. Correcting me and saying 11 doesn't really change anything but if it makes you feel better then sure go ahead

to your second reply...My point about blind allegiance is that it is not blind at all for those of that follow football. It was not a phone interview where we hired a new head coach who's never coached before and we have no knowledge of who they are and what kind of success they can have. We have 15 plus years of records to look at before deciding if we want to back this coach. that is not blind allegiance. That is looking at the fact that he is a good head coach and rolling with it.

to your point about the national championship.. If Georgia gets 5 more yards in 2012 and beats Alabama and goes on to win the national title is he still fired this year? maybe, maybe not. If georgia's receiver doesn't drop that pass and get five more yards in that game is Richt all of a sudden a much better coach than he is right now because he would have won a national championship? I know it's a what-if but it's a fair question I think because that's how close he was and the game literally came down to one play(and georgia would have rolled notre dame). Did he win it? no. Can't argue that, but again no coach who was available this offseason has so i'm not worried there.

Would something as little as five yards change a view on a coach for not winning a title? He has been very close several times and has fallen short against Saban (arguably going to be top 3 coach of all time) and Meyer. Maybe i'm alone but I'm okay with that. I don't expect Richt to be Meyer or Saban. As much as I hate it, they are two of the greatest coaches in college football history. Would I be happier if he won 10 championships at Georgia? yes, but obviously he wouldn't be available if he did.

Because we are saying he's a proven coach doesn't mean we won't expect greatness from him here. Do I expect him to beat Jimbo and FSU? yes. Will I settle for average records in big games? No. However I'm not comparing Richt to Meyer and Urban, I'm comparing Richt to Coker, Shannon, and Golden and i'm happy that our program is 100 times better instantly with his hiring..

Coaches don't win championships and leave unless they are thrown out. (see larry coker above and gene chizik). No coach has ever won a championship before coaching at miami (in college, not referring to Saban and the bills). That's okay and a lot of us fans see that. Miami is a different beast, it brings the best and worst out in coaches. Those coaches who have it in them get the chance to succeed at Miami.

Point i'm trying to make is, obviously we all want a head coach that has won a national title, but how many head coaches that won national titles are currently available and interested in coaching at miami? unless i'm crazy, Saban, Meyer, Carroll, Stoops, Miles, etc. weren't available. It's easy to say a coach hasn't done something but this isn't build a coach on Madden. Who's available is who's available. Of course richt would be a better coach if he won a few national titles. But then he wouldn't be our coach right now. Same with any of our previous coaches.

What I see is a great coach. Not an elite coach, but a great one. Who now is in the most fertile recruiting ground in the country, in a terrible division with great chance at finally overcoming the hurdle of winning it all.

There are plenty of negative stats to go off of I completely Agree. You know why I choose not to concern as much about them? because the "georgia decline" took place exactly as Richt lost play calling ability. He also screwed up and hired Martinez at DC which almost cost him his job (probably did in the grand scheme of things as it hindered them those years). That's why I am patiently waiting to see who is hired as DC.

he's 38-35 against ranked teams. is that amazing? No. But it is very good in my opinion while in the toughest conference in football.

Do you know when the last time Miami won vs a ranked team on the road? 2009 against FSU

I see both sides of it. I'm eager to see if Richt still has it in him to call an offesne at an elite level. I'm willing to give him the doubt because nearly all of the negatives people see in him occurred while he wasn't calling plays. Maybe i'm not giving him enough blame for the failures at Georgia. But when a coach is hired and states he wants to call plays again and you look up his success when he was the one calling plays and it was incredible, it's hard not to be excited. Who knows though, that's what we will have to see

Solid post

Advertisement
Some of these same part time coaches, I was one, nailed the inadequacies of our former HC within the 1st few games. This isn't rocket science if you know how to analyze the data that is out there.

How many wins has Richt had at his time at UGA?

How many NC's? That is still the goal of the U, correct?

How many NC's did our last NC coaches have before they were hired?

So you are saying what exactly? That the objective is to be better than Randy Shannon? I was certain the objective is to win titles. Maybe I'm confused and this is the Miami of Ohio board???

Yup, confused. Please look up how many NC's were won by Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson and clappy BEFORE they became the HC at the U.

He isn't top 5 in Total wins or winning percentage among active coaches...

Winningest Active Coaches

And Pruitt was already Winning national championships at Bama 4 years ago as their Secondary coach.

But yeah only an idiot would worry about coaching hires before the bowl game, and All the top uncommitted prospects commit during the all star games or signing day.

Weird post.

That link is utter stupidity. Larry Scott is way ahead of Richt there. It doesn't take into account sample size!

01' -- 8-4 (first year)
03' -- 11-3
04' -- 10-2
05' -- 10-3
06' -- 9-4
07' -- 11-2

replies in bold

Solid post

Absolutely. This is how the board should work. Kudos to both posters.

Advertisement
Remember these are the same Einstein's that supported our former HC until he was fired.

Lame argument. No one around here was supporting Golden. Literally no one.

That's a flat out lie. Going into the 2015 season there were still plenty on this very board.

You said "until he was fired". Now it's "going into the 2015 season".

You really aren't very good at this.

Good at what? Caring what you say. Its pretty easy to check up to the blowout if anyone as you stated "no one" was supporting him. I know that's not true without even looking. Its why many left the board till he was fired. Posters like you make this place unbearable. So kudo's on that.

This^^^^^

I can easily name a few of them.

QueenofSpades, DK72, Niner, Broke and a bunch more. They didn't earn the nickname "The Golden Girls" for no reason.

This is the insane part of our fan base. Lie and blindly follow whatever coach is the new flavor of the month no matter what.

Jagr is such a genius that he can't even understand the simple difference between Saban (winner of 4 NC's at two schools) and coach Richt (zero NC's at a top tier SEC school).

By the way, for those of you that keep on lying and saying that Georgia doesn't have the resources to compete with Bama and LSU, you're full of ****. Georgia's boosters are some of the wealthiest in the country. Plus, they have great facilities and fan support.

Georgia was voted the easiest place to recruit at in a recent article that I shared on a different thread.

I want coach Richt to do great things here, but some of the early slurping that is going on is simply mind numbing. And it's the usual suspects, as always.

Let's wait and see what he does but no one and I mean NO ONE should be above reproach. Especially not when they're gonna be making more than 4 million bucks a year.

Honestly, short of Saban or Meyer, that is probably unavoidable.

UM

You can even pick flaws in them. Two of Meyer's championships were with the previous guys players. The 2006
Gator team was mostly Zook's kids. The year after Tebow left the Gators were atrocious. Last year at tOSU was his third year. Those upper class men were Tressel's kids. Nick won his first championship at Bama with Shula's kids. He's won two more since then, so there is less criticism of him though.

Lame argument. No one around here was supporting Golden. Literally no one.

That's a flat out lie. Going into the 2015 season there were still plenty on this very board.

You said "until he was fired". Now it's "going into the 2015 season".

You really aren't very good at this.

Good at what? Caring what you say. Its pretty easy to check up to the blowout if anyone as you stated "no one" was supporting him. I know that's not true without even looking. Its why many left the board till he was fired. Posters like you make this place unbearable. So kudo's on that.

This^^^^^

I can easily name a few of them.

QueenofSpades, DK72, Niner, Broke and a bunch more. They didn't earn the nickname "The Golden Girls" for no reason.

This is the insane part of our fan base. Lie and blindly follow whatever coach is the new flavor of the month no matter what.

Jagr is such a genius that he can't even understand the simple difference between Saban (winner of 4 NC's at two schools) and coach Richt (zero NC's at a top tier SEC school).

By the way, for those of you that keep on lying and saying that Georgia doesn't have the resources to compete with Bama and LSU, you're full of ****. Georgia's boosters are some of the wealthiest in the country. Plus, they have great facilities and fan support.

Georgia was voted the easiest place to recruit at in a recent article that I shared on a different thread.

I want coach Richt to do great things here, but some of the early slurping that is going on is simply mind numbing. And it's the usual suspects, as always.

Let's wait and see what he does but no one and I mean NO ONE should be above reproach. Especially not when they're gonna be making more than 4 million bucks a year.

You are right about Uga having an surplus amount of resources but otherwise stfu and quit mentioning me f_ck boy. I guess you can't stop being a b*tch, oh well. What is with you holding on to this false idea of me and other posters being golden supporters, it's getting annoying to say the least. You whine about it in every thread, I have never seen you make a post without accusing someone being a golden slurper

Last edited:

This is where it helps to be able to follow a thread and understand posts in context. 82 wanted to know specifically what Richt has done "for the U" to have earned everyone's trust. My response was essentially that Richt, Saban, Lombardi, etc., have all done the exact same thing "for the U" - nothing - so apparently they must all be mistrusted.

If you go back and read it slowly and maybe jot down some notes as you go it might be easier to comprehend.

Advertisement
Back