Tropical Park

THIS.

I don't understand this love affair with an on-campus stadium. It will not help with attendance. Go to a basketball game and check out student attendance at the BUC, which is a short walk from student housing - the students don't give a ****. Sun-Life's location is actually a help as it is closer to Broward, Palm Beach, and Collier Counties' Canes Fans and high school athletes.

The stadium is not an issue - the continual losing and incompetence is the problem.

Advertisement
THIS.

I don't understand this love affair with an on-campus stadium. It will not help with attendance. Go to a basketball game and check out student attendance at the BUC, which is a short walk from student housing - the students don't give a ****. Sun-Life's location is actually a help as it is closer to Broward, Palm Beach, and Collier Counties' Canes Fans and high school athletes.

The stadium is not an issue - the continual losing and incompetence is the problem.

I agree, however, I also agree that not having your own stadium hurts a little bit. When you have your own stadium, you have your own locker room, there's memorbilia that embraces the past...there's motos that are placed above the entrance way....it's a different mystique that comes along w/ having your own stadium.

On the other hand, I also agree that Sun-Life does not hurt as much as some make it out to be. I think about the Rose Bowl which is approximately 45 minutes (w/ light traffic {which never happens}) away from UCLA's campus. It's a nightmare getting to that stadium and leaving it, yet, when they are winning, they have no problems filling it up and that stadium's capacity is much larger than Sun-Life's and they are competiting w/ USC. Sun-Life will jump like the Old OB, when UM football jump, like they did at the Old OB. No one in So. Fla is going to go support a losing product (see the Miami Heat pre-Big 3 and Post Big 3)

I've got some fond high school memories of football games at the Tropical Park stadium. Are high school games not being played there anymore?

FSU averaged 6300 last year with a student body 3x that of Miami, we averaged 5800. Seems we do alright, all things considered.

Advertisement
After seeing the photos of improved SLS (with capacity reduction due to banners), i am very encouraged that a new stadium might not be necessary.

I didn't realize the new renovations were moving the stadium 25 miles closer to campus.

not gonna move attendance, i went to UM and we still went to the games wherever it was. from campus, the oB was still a 25 min journey (Metro ride plus Bus to the stadium). as someone else posted, miami student attendance is fine compared to a school like FSU. the attendance figures at the oB were pretty pathetic too as they are at SLS. whats a closer stadium gonna solve? nothing bc the fans still wont show up weekly unless its a big opponent.

Last edited:
Disagree 100% of the notion that TP is NOT a realistic option. I'd argue it's among THE most realistic options in Dade County

-Tons of land
-Close proximity to a major highway (Palmetto expressway) from which a direction ramp exit/entrance could be built
-Relative proximity to campus

It would be a **** shame if this doesn't happen in our lifetime...it NEEDS to happen. Dolphin Stadium is an abomination of the highest order...with or without the upcoming "upgrades". We need something in the heart of DADE COUNTY which is CLOSER TO CAMPUS.

When I was there (a student), the student section at basketball games was pretty good. At a big game, you would wait a long time to make you had seats.

I don't know if you went to a game before the BUC, that was a disaster.

The stadium is a tremendous issue. We need one that fits our needs. It is not the main issue but it is a tremendous issue.

Advertisement
Son Life getting renovated enures that we'll be there through at least the next decade.

FSU averaged 6300 last year with a student body 3x that of Miami, we averaged 5800. Seems we do alright, all things considered.

This. We have a great turnout rate for the amount of students we have. We also broke the student attendance record

When I was there (a student), the student section at basketball games was pretty good. At a big game, you would wait a long time to make you had seats.

The stadium is a tremendous issue. We need one that fits our needs. It is not the main issue but it is a tremendous issue.

An on campus stadium would also help with multiple issues. One issue is that a large portion of our students leave at halftime or in the third quarter because of the distance

An on campus stadium would also help with multiple issues. One issue is that a large portion of our students leave at halftime or in the third quarter because of the distance

Why do the students leave? Are they scared of staying the whole game?

Advertisement

Some cite time others say boredom it's a combination of things. I feel an on campus stadium would help with the problem

Some cite time others say boredom it's a combination of things. I feel an on campus stadium would help with the problem

Sweating their asses off, and the better party is in the parking lot.

THIS.

I agree, however, I also agree that not having your own stadium hurts a little bit. When you have your own stadium, you have your own locker room, there's memorbilia that embraces the past...there's motos that are placed above the entrance way....it's a different mystique that comes along w/ having your own stadium.

On the other hand, I also agree that Sun-Life does not hurt as much as some make it out to be. I think about the Rose Bowl which is approximately 45 minutes (w/ light traffic {which never happens}) away from UCLA's campus. It's a nightmare getting to that stadium and leaving it, yet, when they are winning, they have no problems filling it up and that stadium's capacity is much larger than Sun-Life's and they are competiting w/ USC. Sun-Life will jump like the Old OB, when UM football jump, like they did at the Old OB. No one in So. Fla is going to go support a losing product (see the Miami Heat pre-Big 3 and Post Big 3)

See Marlins, Panthers, Heat...

Advertisement

Are you seriously trying to compare Football to Basketball? when is the last time you have tailgated a Bball game?
As students we have a much worse tailgating scene than every other school with a stadiums on campus.
Not having a stadium we can call our own is a problem, and has been since we lost the OB.

Our attendance before the Orange Bowl was torn down was quite frankly abysmal.

The stadium doesn't matter if you aren't winning.

Winning cures EVERYTHING

Seems to me if we put a better product on the field that would entice the fans (including the 5,800 students) to stay longer.

We need a venue in which a crowd of 45k for a nooner against Wake or NC State still provides some semblance of an environment and an actual home field advantage for the big games. The arguments that question the motivation for a location that isn't in the waste lands of Miami Gardens by calling into question previous attendance numbers and student body size are missing the point. A smaller venue in a more desirable location with a larger student turnout would provide that environment. It's not as simple as saying it needs to be within walking distance to campus but moving it out of an area that's only redeeming quality is proximity to a turnpike on-ramp is a start. Anybody that thinks these renovations are going to create a home field advantage for (at best) one or two games per year is kidding themselves. They're creating a more comfortable NFL style experience not anything resembling a college atmosphere.

Advertisement
Back