TreVonte Citizen - Year One

I’m assuming all stay healthy. I loved Chaney’s game but he needs to stay healthy. Rooster can’t be relied upon to be the workhorse back. I’m a Thad Franklin believer but I think Citizen is the prototype Cristobal back. Parrish will factor in a lot as well but can see him having more of a role as a pass catcher.
Watching some of the old Cane games recently and they really did use 3-4 backs even in the big games. I'd like to see us get back to that. All things being equal, I like Chaney as the starter (assuming he's healthy) and run that unit 4 deep each game.

Advertisement
That kid was a tough kid last year. He took a pounding and at times gave a pounding. I think he will flourish this year with a role. His role last year was a heavy burden. He embraced it and was a tough back.

Who the starter will be? That will be interesting to see play out.

No doubt Knighton dished out some punishment and is tough as ****.

What Coaches & Knighton himself need to ask is - "You're a 190lb speedster - so why do you keep trying to run through defenders instead of avoiding them?"

Until Knighton makes that change he won't reach his potential

I think a healthy Chaney is the dude this year with Citizen main back up by year end

Lolol was waiting for you to chime in. Your hard on for knighton always has me lmao with your charts and illustrations. tbf, haven’t read a good counter to your points and I think they are legit

I've gone deep into the data and found there's a a couple easy checkpoints a RB should be hitting if he's legit - regardless of their situations or anyone's biases

Does he average 5.5 ypc overall (ideally 6.0)?
Does he average 4.5 ypc vs P5 teams (ideally 5.0)?
Does he have a speed score over 95 (ideally 100)?

If he's not hitting the YPC's - he's probably a big back, or just not very good.

With each minimum the RB isn't hitting, the odds that it isn't the situation and the RB just isn't that good increases.

So much hype for this kid. I hope he lives up to it.

Those first two games we probably won't even have to pass the ball in order to win according to people around here.

I doubt he will be starter with all the experienced dudes in front of him but if he is and everyone is healthy then we probably are winning the ACC.
There's a lot of talent on this team and experience ahead of him.

Advertisement
As an aside, this is an example of how Mario has been a revelation thus far.

Initially, I didn't know why he brought in Parrish. I would have been happy with Chaney, Knighton and Thad. I would have assumed that the room was full. But he brings in Parrish and then signs Citizen to what I would have assumed was an already full room.

Mario is just loading up on talent. He is emphasizing competition. And he doesn't care if a guy that might be competent or a decent CFB player ends up a 3rd or 4th stringer (or transfers). Bring in talent and let the cream rise. Impressive. Very different from what we've seen here since likely Butch. I forgot what that was like.

This is the excuse for Knighton everyone keeps using.

Every other running back on the team the last two years all played in the same scheme with the same blocking.

They all averaged more yards per carry than Knighton besides Rob Burns who only had 16 carries in 2020.
Dude, we were at the bottom in the country last year. Worse than previous years. This team in the rpo Era has been atrocious in the run game.

"Citizen will have full license to kill opponents," said Cristobal. "He is our passport to success."

I can buy this argument for sure, I’m excited to see some variety and counters on run plays for once
You also have to ask yourself, when was the last time our o-line opened up holes consistently for our backs to run through? Our backs were getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage all of the time. Other teams are able to get to the second level before they get touched, not our backs. If our guys are able to take a direct handoff and hit the holes, they will fare much better, not to mention the oline doesn't have to hold the holes open as long like in the rpo's which they proved they couldn't do.

Advertisement
Dude, we were at the bottom in the country last year. Worse than previous years. This team in the rpo Era has been atrocious in the run game.
Miami was 66th in the nation in rushing offense in 2020. 163 yards per game. That's middle of the pack, not great but nowhere near atrocious.

In 2021, through 6 games, they were averaging 160.3 yards per game rushing. Once again, not great but decent. Cam Harris got hurt in the 6th game against UNC. The rest of the season with no Harris or Chaney, they only averaged 97.2 yards per game. Same scheme, same line. Good running backs find a way to get yards even if the line isn't opening holes for them every down. Yeah, the line sucked but every other running back was able to average over 4 yards per carry besides Knighton.

Miami was 66th in the nation in rushing offense in 2020. 163 yards per game. That's middle of the pack, not great but nowhere near atrocious.

In 2021, through 6 games, they were averaging 160.3 yards per game rushing. Once again, not great but decent. Cam Harris got hurt in the 6th game against UNC. The rest of the season with no Harris or Chaney, they only averaged 97.2 yards per game. Same scheme, same line. Good running backs find a way to get yards even if the line isn't opening holes for them every down. Yeah, the line sucked but every other running back was able to average over 4 yards per carry besides Knighton.
Just to give a visual.

55eb182e72437c485143e46d808a5195.png

99580b3446b035e87deb73d2793ec3de.png

Just to give a visual.

55eb182e72437c485143e46d808a5195.png

99580b3446b035e87deb73d2793ec3de.png
The numbers don't lie.

@bshaw28 has written a doctorate level thesis paper on this topic over multiple threads. The empirical evidence all points to the same thing. Of all the running backs who have gotten carries on our team the last two years, Jaylon Knighton is the least effective. The people who ignore evidence all say "but the line sucked, bro!" and yes, the line sucked. but it didn't just suck for Knighton. Every running back was dealing with the same poor blocking. Just some of them were able to be productive.

Advertisement
Lol exactly man. It's absurd to me how he's not being mentioned. He might legit be our starter to start the season.

This isn't directed at you or Henry Parrish, who IMO has been the most productive of our RB's and I'm happy is on the team and can very much see being our best RB this year.

But as a GENERAL statement:

If a 190lb/4.6 JR averaging 5.1 ypc is the BEST RB in a backfield - then a Top 100 RB 217lb/Mid 4.5 FR coming in and taking over shouldn't be hard to imagine

People forgetting that Parrish followed his coach here.... He did that for a reason and I am sure promises were made....

Hope there is no bias but I would imagine he gets plenty of burn.

Advertisement
These are the kind of arguments you love to see. I think Parrish will get the most touches of anyone this year.
Probably true...we need a between the tackles guy Citizen and Chaney for that roll but Parrish will ball. Going to be tough cause we got JK too. Somebody transferring at seasons end for sure

As an aside, this is an example of how Mario has been a revelation thus far.

Initially, I didn't know why he brought in Parrish. I would have been happy with Chaney, Knighton and Thad. I would have assumed that the room was full. But he brings in Parrish and then signs Citizen to what I would have assumed was an already full room.

Mario is just loading up on talent. He is emphasizing competition. And he doesn't care if a guy that might be competent or a decent CFB player ends up a 3rd or 4th stringer (or transfers). Bring in talent and let the cream rise. Impressive. Very different from what we've seen here since likely Butch. I forgot what that was like.
Plus as we see eveery year when we say guys should leave early to be draft picks to only go undrafted, our fans tend to overrate our talent and down grade other teams.. We have dam near gone 7-5 every year for 15 years and we still hype some of these guys.. If it is what we want, guys will be transferring out.. You want that.. That means someone is balling..

Probably true...we need a between the tackles guy Citizen and Chaney for that roll but Parrish will ball. Going to be tough cause we got JK too. Somebody transferring at seasons end for sure
I think Parrish is gonna eat JK’s touches. Mario went out & got him that’s his guy. Citezen/Chaney RB1. Parrish will get alot of catches/moved around. Thad short yardage is how I see it. Chaney can’t stay healthy & I don’t think that will change. I can buy Citzen being RB1 honestly.

Advertisement
Back