Trayone Gray runs too "upright".....

canesman

Junior
Still shaking my head at the morons on this board and others that say Trayone runs too "upright" to play RB at the next level. I've heard the McFadden comparisons...I think Peterson is a better comparison in running style. Of course I'm not suggesting that Gray is the next Adrian Peterson.

Do youself a favor.....go watch the HS video of another guy people said ran too "upright". Assclowns....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1k7Mst9DU

Last edited:
Advertisement
Always loved his film. He is a steal, but we need him to get on campus. Sky is the ceiling for Chocolate at runningback or receiver.

The moves he has at his size is scary. I'm praying he gets in this year or next. 6-2 210 and the moves and speed he has. Scary. Could be 220 by the time he steps on campus.

Advertisement
i just watched his highlights and that dude with the ball in his hand at that size at either rb or wr is our best player. at little early but just wait.

He is an upright runner (not sure how you could argue otherwise) and that's definitely not a good thing. Adrian Peterson, LeGarrette Blount and other upright backs have had to drop their pad level in the pros. You can have success as an upright runner but it does make it more difficult to change directions and run through contact while exposing a larger portion of the body to contact. Compare Blount from the Bucs to the Pats and you'll see what I mean.

Darren McFadden is an example of an upright stiff back who never dropped his pad level and developed his run skills. He's had a slew of injuries and even when he's healthy he leaves yards on the field.

Gray is not as athletic as McFadden and I just don't understand the hype about him. I don't see the explosiveness and change of direction skills that I'd like in a back or receiver. All I see is an instinctive big back with build-up speed - a decent prospect but not a game-changer.

My comparison: less explosive, less fluid Ricardo Louis

Last edited:
Gray is not as athletic as McFadden and I just don't understand the hype about him. I don't see the explosiveness and change of direction skills that I'd like in a back or receiver. All I see is an instinctive big back with build-up speed - a decent prospect but not a game-changer.

My comparison: less explosive, less fluid Ricardo Louis

Not sure what film you watched, but this dude is a flat out stud. Ok, MAYBE he runs a little high, but he's 20 yards past everyone before they have a chance to do any damage. Injury laden McFadden is a horrible example. He was the lone workhorse at Arkansas and was doomed the minute he put on the silver and black. EVERYONE in Oakland sucks unless your name is/was Tim Brown or Marcus Allen.

Ricardo Louis?

269.jpg

Advertisement
McFadden is the guy I've always compared him to. Since we're talking about college football, that's certainly a compliment.

The Central game answered any questions I had about Gray's speed. He dusted one of the fastest defenses in America. His speed is maybe a tick below McFadden (who was a Heisman candidate and 4.33 guy) but still excellent.

I also see similarities in their strength, competitiveness and toughness (which helps mitigate against the upright style, at least at the college level).

most taller running backs run upright. it's simple physics. ****erson, Peterson, McFadden, Jim Brown. go watch film, they all run upright

the dude is a bolt of lightning. it wouldnt matter if he was running in the crab formation if he keeps that speed noone catches him.

Advertisement
larry blue stein thinks he is a stud. he also say Duke was best RB in south florida he ever saw.

Just watched that film......

272.gif

Al needs to apply for that special exceptions pass for this young man

Advertisement
McFadden is the guy I've always compared him to. Since we're talking about college football, that's certainly a compliment.

The Central game answered any questions I had about Gray's speed. He dusted one of the fastest defenses in America. His speed is maybe a tick below McFadden (who was a Heisman candidate and 4.33 guy) but still excellent.

I also see similarities in their strength, competitiveness and toughness (which helps mitigate against the upright style, at least at the college level).
he's a 4.4 type....

Is the toughness legit? Hard to tell that from a vid. Can this kid run between the tackles 10 times a game?

You guys may as well let this one go. I can't think of one kid since I've been following UM recruiting that this late in the game was considered a lock to NOT qualify that ended up shocking the world and qualifying.

Gotta agree with d$. Watched the central game and Chocolate looked like he was playing middle school kids. Give the kid the ball. Get him in school.

Advertisement
Back