Trayone Gray - Breakdown

U

User-4525

For those who care he got ranked a 4 star WR on espn.

I did a breakdown of him from the quick highlight video I saw.

- He doesn't have game breaking speed but does so many things right. He's one of those kids who are just a "football player". Has good hips that with all him to play all over the field, offense or defense. He's surprisingly naturally strong and he hasn't even built his body in yet. What I mean by that is once he gets to college and is put in a good S&C program he will thrive. By his 2nd/3rd year he will be breaking even more tackles or laying the wood on receivers. He has playmaking ability and good vision, he has very good moves and he doesn't over use them. He knows when to and not to cut. Good ball skills. The negatives are he doesn't have the game breaking speed but with his + skills in other areas he doesn't really need it to be elite. He will have to add strength in his upper & lower body when he gets here. Havent seen much of him so I don't know how explosive he is, (Jumping ability) but looks like a good athlete. Listed at 6'1/2 190-195. We got a good player with Gray

Kid is a baller. Here are his highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJHfSyoF7yY

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Great post man. Funny your breakdown sounds awfully familiar, like word for word the breakdown of an early Travis Rudolph before he blew up.

Great post man. Funny your breakdown sounds awfully familiar, like word for word the breakdown of an early Travis Rudolph before he blew up.

Thanks. & yeah Rudolph blew up as soon as he hit the national camp circuit with all the major sites covering them. Rudolph is probably more athletic than Gray but both are good playmakers.

Advertisement

Staff wants him there? He has the ball skills to play there, we keep bringing in quality safeties each year.

Staff wants him there and that is where he's better suited IMO. Way too raw (route running, hands) to crack the WR rotation with the talent at the position over the next few years. Wait till you guys see him in person, he's built like a safety.

Thanks. & yeah Rudolph blew up as soon as he hit the national camp circuit with all the major sites covering them. Rudolph is probably more athletic than Gray but both are good playmakers.

Rudolph is more of a pure receiver. He's very smooth in and out of his cuts and is an exceptional route-runner. They have different body types too. Gray is more muscular and "stocky", while Rudolph is lengthier.

Rudolph is more of a pure receiver. He's very smooth in and out of his cuts and is an exceptional route-runner. They have different body types too. Gray is more muscular and "stocky", while Rudolph is lengthier.

What do you think of Grays speed & explosiveness which are the two biggest questions about his talent?

Gray has the frame to be a really good safety, 6'1 around 185-190. If he can get to that 200 plus before the season, which should be tough but possible, I think this kid can be like Jamal Carter.

Advertisement
Pete i remember you calling him a manchild a looong time ago. What do you think of him as a QB? You think he has the skillset to be better than Eduord? I'm anxious to see him ball out this season.

Tito you can answer that question too if you please!

Advertisement
Pete i remember you calling him a manchild a looong time ago. What do you think of him as a QB? You think he has the skillset to be better than Eduord? I'm anxious to see him ball out this season.

Tito you can answer that question too if you please!

Not Peter or Tito, but I've seen him throw on the camp circuit and he has a very strong arm. He's not a QB though, IMO. Too inconsistent.

I thought he was quoted as saying the coaches told him he would be a WR.

Advertisement
This kid's running style is very distinct, it should be easier for me to come up with a comparison than I'm finding it. Boldin had more shake in high school, although I get the physical comparison for sure when I see pics. He's great about not wasting a ton of motion, just making a subtle move/cut and staying north/south.

Staff wants him there? He has the ball skills to play there, we keep bringing in quality safeties each year.

Staff wants him there and that is where he's better suited IMO. Way too raw (route running, hands) to crack the WR rotation with the talent at the position over the next few years. Wait till you guys see him in person, he's built like a safety.

Happy to hear the staff wants him there. I love the idea of putting game breaking athletes at safety.

Much prefer him there and think he has the physical numbers to develop into a monster

Atheletes like him are the ones that end up being gamechangers at the safety position....

How does he compare to the Auburn player that the staff wanted at safety but was deadset on playing receiver?.., oh yeah Ricardo Louis

Advertisement
Back