Travis Williams quotes on coaching linebackers (must read)

If memory serves correctly, Trent Harris started over Joe Jackson in ‘16, Scott Patchan initially started over Greg for like the first four games in ‘19, and Jenkins started over Jaquan in ‘16.

JJ & SR started at S their Jr years. They were the upperclassmen in 2017. The only other tenured S on the roster was Robert Knowles, who received significant playing time, and he was a RS/Soph. Joe Johnson started in ‘17 opposite of Chad, but I believe Demetrius was coming off a leg injury.
Thanks for the knowledge

Advertisement
Brooks is the one that intrigues me the most. Before his foot injury, it was impossible to not notice him flashing whenever he was in there. Seemed to be limited after the injury (at least to my eyes), but I really think the talent is there.
Had to be Limited by atleast a half step. Between plays he was noticeably limping around all year.

Advertisement
I told my buddy that Travis Williams may not coach our LBs better than Baker, but he **** sure will have them playing with more intensity.

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner. As long as Manny Diaz is head coach, upperclassmen will get the nod in front of more talented younger players
It’s been that way and it’s hard to argue but let’s see what happens on D this year with these coaches he’s brought in. I’m hoping that if he can change out his D staph then he can change out some of these failed ways as well.

Manny is the one who plays politics and starts seniority

He needs to change his mentality and adopt what his assistants coaches have

It's the reason we've trotted out Mccloud, Robert Knowles, Jennings, Wiggins, Pope, Patchan, Ford, Bethel, etc. over younger more talented guys

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner. As long as Manny Diaz is head coach, upperclassmen will get the nod in front of more talented younger players
Richt used to say he plays the guy who gives them the best chance of winning and played Rosier over the other guys. Has Diaz ever stated anything like that? I know we've seen that play out, but has he ever made a statement that way?

I'm just curious if he has that "it's his turn" logic or is willing to adapt.

Advertisement
I told my buddy that Travis Williams may not coach our LBs better than Baker, but he **** sure will have them playing with more intensity.
this ... i teach and i will readily admit i don't understand all the material 100% of the time, but what i can do is motivate my kids to do their best ... that's a quality that's just as important as x's and o's

I don't doubt that Manny will play young kids IF HE NEEDS TO...
But will he play them over upperclassmen?

I don't know if the Shaq/Pink situation really applies. They NEEDED to play. We didn't have any LB's if my memory serves correctly.

Either way...
There's a possibility that he won't feel the need to micromanage personnel decisions now that he has a much more qualified staff. I doubt T-Rob, T-Will, Simpson and Shoop came here to be micromanaged. They ain't gonna put up with that **** and they have resumes to back them up. Much different than the docile/inexperienced group of Baker, Rumph and Patke.

So there's some reason for optimism.

Advertisement
I don't doubt that Manny will play young kids IF HE NEEDS TO...
But will he play them over upperclassmen?

I don't know if the Shaq/Pink situation really applies. They NEEDED to play. We didn't have any LB's if my memory serves correctly.

Either way...
There's a possibility that he won't feel the need to micromanage personnel decisions now that he has a much more qualified staff. I doubt T-Rob, T-Will, Simpson and Shoop came here to be micromanaged. They ain't gonna put up with that **** and they have resumes to back them up. Much different than the docile/inexperienced group of Baker, Rumph and Patke.

So there's some reason for optimism.
this ... in a sense you can honestly say we've graduated to the big leagues, these guys can recruit and develop ... when you hire them, you hiring what they bring, let them work unabated

He’s produced 1st and 2nd team SEC LBs. He’s 10x better than Baker.

Manny is the one who plays politics and starts seniority

He needs to change his mentality and adopt what his assistants coaches have

It's the reason we've trotted out Mccloud, Robert Knowles, Jennings, Wiggins, Pope, Patchan, Ford, Bethel, etc. over younger more talented guys
Or really, who was going to replace Wiggins or Pope? Payton? The wide receiver room is a flipping disaster. That's why Rambo is on the roster. If Brinson is as good as advertised then he is in the 2-deep. We need Smith and Redding to step up as well. The assumption is the youngsters are better.

You think we have a 1-technique tackle on roster? You benching Ford for Miller? Bethel was in the starting in 2019 because the freshmen all needed a shirt. Nesta probably got as many snaps. Not exactly productive in 2019. Our linebacker room is the worst in the P5 right now. Flagg had 1 solo in 8 games. Steed had 4 solos in 7 games. Not exactly productive when they were on the field. As I said T-Will has his work cut out from him. We need 2 from the portal. I'll take competent at this point. Be interesting to see what T-Will says to say during spring ball.

Advertisement
No LB played like we’re used to seeing at UM. Even in the lowest of the down years. Let’s hope these frosh want it bad.
I rewatched the 2006 MPC Computers Bowl against Nevada (Coker’s last game) this past weekend. I remember watching it live while I was looking after my baby cousins back in the day.

But what stood out was that every LB played with energy and made an effort to finish the tackle; they put the Nevada ball carriers to the ground and made sure they felt it all the way down. We don’t have a single player who does that, I’d encourage everyone to watch that game to see the difference.

It isn’t all pretty that game and obviously there are talent discrepancies between then and now (Beason, T-Good) but man all of those guys knew how to LB.

Side highlight: Merriweather would have probably been ejected with like 13:00 to go in the first had he been playing under the crack ACC stripes crews we currently employ.

I find it comical that people think there’s some steadfast rule against playing younger linebackers when Manny Diaz started three freshmen linebackers his first year here. Granted, one of those spots should have been Jermaine Grace but he was still going with two other freshmen.
Also, Flagg this season

got this from TOS ... but it warmed me up on this cold day in tampa

The linebacker room will get a fresh start, and Williams made it clear during his time at Auburn that playing time will not be determined by age.

“In my room, it is not about ok this person graduated so it is the next man up,” Williams said. “You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”

My god ... i'm speechless
Too bad he's probably not in charge of offers or playing time, just like Baker wasn't (according to Ivins).

I’d give anything just to see a MF Miami LB stick a bih like Denzel used too...and I ain’t even going back to the Barrow and Armstead days.

Advertisement
Back