Travis Williams quotes on coaching linebackers (must read)

ageezy

Cane til I Die
got this from TOS ... but it warmed me up on this cold day in tampa

The linebacker room will get a fresh start, and Williams made it clear during his time at Auburn that playing time will not be determined by age.

“In my room, it is not about ok this person graduated so it is the next man up,” Williams said. “You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”

My god ... i'm speechless

Advertisement
“You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”
200.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
I find it comical that people think there’s some steadfast rule against playing younger linebackers when Manny Diaz started three freshmen linebackers his first year here. Granted, one of those spots should have been Jermaine Grace but he was still going with two other freshmen.

The linebacker room will get a fresh start, and Williams made it clear during his time at Auburn that playing time will not be determined by age.

“In my room, it is not about ok this person graduated so it is the next man up,” Williams said. “You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”

This stuff is obvious. It’s like we collectively forgot what it means to coach cfb, so we hear forrest gump say something and we all applaud like it’s amazing.

Some guy in another thread told me yesterday Ray Lewis didn’t start until late his freshman season, like the starting lineup was the point when he was out there wrecking dudes from game 1.

I find it comical that people think there’s some steadfast rule against playing younger linebackers when Manny Diaz started three freshmen linebackers his first year here. Granted, one of those spots should have been Jermaine Grace but he was still going with two other freshmen.
Iirc those were the only guys who could walk on our lb roster that season. I mean, almost that.

Advertisement
We need that mentality at all positions. It was painfully obvious that McCloud was only given PT based on age. That was some of the worst LB play I've ever seen at Miami. You can't tell me that Huff or whoever else would have performed any worse.

It's good that guys like Jennings, Hall, Ivey, etc. all have new position coaches who have 0 loyalty to them. Best man plays.

Iirc those were the only guys who could walk on our lb roster that season. I mean, almost that.
We had older guys on the roster available but they weren’t any good. Terry McCray, Darrion Owens, Charles Perry and Mike Smith were all scholarship sophomores or juniors but thankfully they didn’t play them much.

Advertisement

Well I ain’t gonna lie my man, this is a breath of fresh air! I sure hope Manny doesn’t meddle in this with what seams like his obsession with deferring to upperclassman. Let the best kids play no matter age and you’ll never lose your team again!

great point, i'm speaking more to a mentality ... there are plenty of examples where younger guys should have started ... another important thing to point out is the caliber of coaches is improving so for some reason this doesn't feel like coaches speak, this guy has seen talent and developed it ... not sure we brought him here to change is principles

What a breath of fresh air. Well 44 and 53 should be seeing their pink slips soon

We need that mentality at all positions. It was painfully obvious that McCloud was only given PT based on age. That was some of the worst LB play I've ever seen at Miami. You can't tell me that Huff or whoever else would have performed any worse.

It's good that guys like Jennings, Hall, Ivey, etc. all have new position coaches who have 0 loyalty to them. Best man plays.
this ... these aren't jv call ups ... these are big time position coaches ... i give them incredible credibility, they've done it on a large stage, can't imagine us bringing them here to change their philosophy and become yes men

Advertisement
Back