Travis Williams quotes on coaching linebackers (must read)

got this from TOS ... but it warmed me up on this cold day in tampa

The linebacker room will get a fresh start, and Williams made it clear during his time at Auburn that playing time will not be determined by age.

“In my room, it is not about ok this person graduated so it is the next man up,” Williams said. “You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”

My god ... i'm speechless

Pretty much what every coach says.

Advertisement
I'll withhold my optimism for now. That decision may not be up to him ultimately. (I hope it is though)
200.gif

Advertisement

The linebacker room will get a fresh start, and Williams made it clear during his time at Auburn that playing time will not be determined by age.

“In my room, it is not about ok this person graduated so it is the next man up,” Williams said. “You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”

T-rob has the same mentality.

Attachments

• tumblr_0d452944c0d77332e288741473433874_db2fd497_250.gif
    tumblr_0d452944c0d77332e288741473433874_db2fd497_250.gif
    811.5 KB · Views: 1
Advertisement
Advertisement
I find it comical that people think there’s some steadfast rule against playing younger linebackers when Manny Diaz started three freshmen linebackers his first year here. Granted, one of those spots should have been Jermaine Grace but he was still going with two other freshmen.

Yep. Grace, Shaq & Pinck

I find it comical that people think there’s some steadfast rule against playing younger linebackers when Manny Diaz started three freshmen linebackers his first year here. Granted, one of those spots should have been Jermaine Grace but he was still going with two other freshmen.
Mopes always conviently forget when it is convenient to attack Diaz

Advertisement
And his philosophy:

“If you are going to play linebacker, you have to love football,” Williams said at Auburn. “There are two things that will make me lose my cool: if you don’t give good effort and if you aren’t being physical. If you mess up the play, I didn’t coach it right and that is on me. But we ain’t laying down and taking anything. We are going to come to fight. We are going to give great effort and we are going to be physical.”
When I saw T-Will”s LBs play on TV when he was coaching at Auburn, I could say that this is an absolute true statement. They played hard, fast and physical. I absolutely loved to watch them play. I saw some games where they put on a tackling clinic. I rarely saw them get overmatched, even against Alabama.

IMHO, we got some really good defensive coaches This offseason. I couldn’t ask for much more. Frankly, I expect a top 10 defense or bust.

So Diaz didn't play Joe Jackson, Gregory Rousseau,or Jaquan Johnson as underclassmen? Real question

If memory serves correctly, Trent Harris started over Joe Jackson in ‘16, Scott Patchan initially started over Greg for like the first four games in ‘19, and Jenkins started over Jaquan in ‘16.

JJ & SR started at S their Jr years. They were the upperclassmen in 2017. The only other tenured S on the roster was Robert Knowles, who received significant playing time, and he was a RS/Soph. Joe Johnson started in ‘17 opposite of Chad, but I believe Demetrius was coming off a leg injury.

I'll withhold my optimism for now. That decision may not be up to him ultimately. (I hope it is though)
Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner. As long as Manny Diaz is head coach, upperclassmen will get the nod in front of more talented younger players

Advertisement
Back