Travis Williams quotes on coaching linebackers (must read)

Just catching up & don’t have time to weed thru all the threads. Can someone tell me how he is as developer & coach? Seems like he’s a good recruiter. TYIA!!!

Advertisement
Well I ain’t gonna lie my man, this is a breath of fresh air! I sure hope Manny doesn’t meddle in this with what seams like his obsession with deferring to upperclassman. Let the best kids play no matter age and you’ll never lose your team again!
Or the position room is a complete mess. We need more than one linebacker from the portal in my opinion. Let's see what T-Will can do with the young guys. He has a **** tough job making this unit anything more than serviceable this season, which would be a huge improvement. Hope the two incoming freshmen are ready to play at this level from day one.

Or the position room is a complete mess. We need more than one linebacker from the portal in my opinion. Let's see what T-Will can do with the young guys. He has a **** tough job making this unit anything more than serviceable this season, which would be a huge improvement. Hope the two incoming freshmen are ready to play at this level from day one.
what's out there at linebacker thats a game changer?

Advertisement
And his philosophy:

“If you are going to play linebacker, you have to love football,” Williams said at Auburn. “There are two things that will make me lose my cool: if you don’t give good effort and if you aren’t being physical. If you mess up the play, I didn’t coach it right and that is on me. But we ain’t laying down and taking anything. We are going to come to fight. We are going to give great effort and we are going to be physical.”

And his philosophy:

“If you are going to play linebacker, you have to love football,” Williams said at Auburn. “There are two things that will make me lose my cool: if you don’t give good effort and if you aren’t being physical. If you mess up the play, I didn’t coach it right and that is on me. But we ain’t laying down and taking anything. We are going to come to fight. We are going to give great effort and we are going to be physical.”
i almost copied that part of the article too ... it's hard to just be cautiously optimistic ...

Advertisement
got this from TOS ... but it warmed me up on this cold day in tampa

The linebacker room will get a fresh start, and Williams made it clear during his time at Auburn that playing time will not be determined by age.

“In my room, it is not about ok this person graduated so it is the next man up,” Williams said. “You get what you earn. We don’t have starters, we have a standard.”

My god ... i'm speechless

I find it comical that people think there’s some steadfast rule against playing younger linebackers when Manny Diaz started three freshmen linebackers his first year here. Granted, one of those spots should have been Jermaine Grace but he was still going with two other freshmen.

Correct me if I’m wrong; but wasn’t it due to being out of necessity vs. off GP? Wasn’t Grace in limbo due to that wack investigation & D Owens got hurt?

You can already see it by the posts here, if McCloud and Jennings are the starters is because Manny overruled him, not because the backups aren't better.

Advertisement
This stuff is obvious. It’s like we collectively forgot what it means to coach cfb, so we hear forrest gump say something and we all applaud like it’s amazing.

Some guy in another thread told me yesterday Ray Lewis didn’t start until late his freshman season, like the starting lineup was the point when he was out there wrecking dudes from game 1.
I think Robert Bass got hurt and that’s when Ray took over.

I think Robert Bass got hurt and that’s when Ray took over.
Like I mentioned earlier, the New York Times had a front page sports section article on Ray Lewis after Miami's second game, before the Colorado game. Think about what it took for that to happen. He was wowwing anyone paying attention from the first game.

Correct me if I’m wrong; but wasn’t it due to being out of necessity vs. off GP? Wasn’t Grace in limbo due to that wack investigation & D Owens got hurt?
Grace got in trouble with that rental car situation or he would have started. There were other, older linebackers on the roster (mostly jags and Golden throw away recruits) who could have played but Manny started three freshmen.

Advertisement
Grace got in trouble with that rental car situation or he would have started. There were other, older linebackers on the roster (mostly jags and Golden throw away recruits) who could have played but Manny started three freshmen.

And Owens got injured, right?

And Owens got injured, right?
I don’t remember tbh. Still, not counting Grace, there were 7 other linebackers on the roster who had been in school longer than the freshman trio who could have played but didn’t. None of which were particularly good players.

Advertisement
Back