Travis Williams quotes on coaching linebackers (must read)

I have to laugh at this notion that these reputable experienced coaches have come here so they can be told who to recruit and play by Manny. But that’s about the only narrative the mopes have to detract from the excitement around the staff Manny has put together so they just repeat it until dumbasses start to take it serious.

Advertisement
I don't doubt that Manny will play young kids IF HE NEEDS TO...
But will he play them over upperclassmen?

I don't know if the Shaq/Pink situation really applies. They NEEDED to play. We didn't have any LB's if my memory serves correctly.

Either way...
There's a possibility that he won't feel the need to micromanage personnel decisions now that he has a much more qualified staff. I doubt T-Rob, T-Will, Simpson and Shoop came here to be micromanaged. They ain't gonna put up with that **** and they have resumes to back them up. Much different than the docile/inexperienced group of Baker, Rumph and Patke.

So there's some reason for optimism.

The bold is my hope as well, especially with Manny being the play caller on D. The less else on his plate the better.

And his philosophy:

“If you are going to play linebacker, you have to love football,” Williams said at Auburn. “There are two things that will make me lose my cool: if you don’t give good effort and if you aren’t being physical. If you mess up the play, I didn’t coach it right and that is on me. But we ain’t laying down and taking anything. We are going to come to fight. We are going to give great effort and we are going to be physical.”
👍🏿

I have to laugh at this notion that these reputable experienced coaches have come here so they can be told who to recruit and play by Manny. But that’s about the only narrative the mopes have to detract from the excitement around the staff Manny has put together so they just repeat it until dumbasses start to take it serious.
So you think the job of the Head Coach is to let his position assistants do whatever they want to do?

Advertisement
So you think the job of the Head Coach is to let his position assistants do whatever they want to do?

So you think position coaches sit around all day waiting for Manny to find them a player to recruit and dictate to them who plays, who doesn’t and for how many snaps?

So Manny is telling Justice who he can play and recruit on the OL? Does this apply to every position group on every team or just at Miami?

What proof do you have of this? Some anonymous CIS poster? Serious question, you think someone like T-Rob is going to be told who he can recruit and play? T-Rob is going to say “I love this recruit and want him in my room” and Manny will say “No go recruit someone else instead”? I know you don’t like Manny but cmon.

While we’re here, you frequently bash our recruiting evals while most people think Manny’s 2 classes have been very strong. Can you list all of these evaluation misses that you reference so often? TIA

I probably shouldn't respond to this because your use of illogical strawmen is weak to the point of face-plant. Hopefully you grasp that, but it's not clear you do from your retort.

canesthing3:
So you think position coaches sit around all day waiting for Manny to find them a player to recruit and dictate to them who plays, who doesn’t and for how many snaps?

I said nothing of the sort that you claim. There's a world of difference between 'hey guys, go do what you want, tell me how it goes' and 'guys, sit here and wait for instructions.' The difference is what matters. Is there a PROCESS? What inputs go into it? Whose? How and when? What resources and information? What are the stage-gates? What discussion and how are decisions made? How does the group and support resources work together to identify, prioritize, triage and decide, and course-correct?

canesthing3:
So Manny is telling Justice who he can play and recruit on the OL? Does this apply to every position group on every team or just at Miami?
In your mind, the choice is Manny tells him who he can play or Manny stays out? Again, you've completely ignored the role of management and process in coordinating collective outcomes. lol Does Manny tell him 'who he can recruit'? I'm hopeful that Manny has a process for approving offers that isn't 'every man for himself.' If he doesn't, then Manny's an idiot and our recruiting is not better off than it has been.

canesthing3:
What proof do you have of this? Some anonymous CIS poster? Serious question, you think someone like T-Rob is going to be told who he can recruit and play? T-Rob is going to say “I love this recruit and want him in my room” and Manny will say “No go recruit someone else instead”? I know you don’t like Manny but cmon.

What are you even talking about? You seem incapable of reading comprehension. You keep coming back with these ridiculous alternatives that bear no relationship to what we're discussing.

What proof do I have that it's not every man for himself? Have I even claimed proof? I've said that's unlikely and idiotic, not impossible. But Miami isn't just a football team. It's part of a University. For Offers to go out, there are things that are generally needed, if the school and staff takes the offer seriously. Those things include some background / character work, probably some academic information, and generally the sign off of the HC or someone who represents recruiting, not just a position coach. That's so universally true that it would be weird if Manny does it differently. But hey, maybe he does. We've sucked so long that nothing would surprise me anymore.

But the issue isn't whether it's T Rob by himself of Manny saying no. You seem to miss the point of people and processes. We have position coaches, coordinators, a head coach, recruiting resources, and administrative conditions. All these perspectives get taken into account in recruiting. The WORST thing Manny could do is let position coaches recruit whoever and then tell them later in the year some 'no thanks' message that means they wasted their and everyone's time recruiting the wrong kids. The point of coordination is prioritization so people can focus their time in the most valuable ways.

canesthing3:
While we’re here, you frequently bash our recruiting evals while most people think Manny’s 2 classes have been very strong. Can you list all of these evaluation misses that you reference so often? TIA
You again miss the point of these discussions. Our recruiting evals have been generally sub-par since Coker was here. I've been saying so since Coker was here, also.

Whether any specific eval is good or bad, or who even has a view, that's a kid-specific discussion. Observing we're systematically bad at them and then looking at what better programs seem to be doing, can lead to some process and priority observations that are helpful whether you like Elijah Moore or Tutu Atwell or Marquis Ezzard or whatever his name was.

In the case of Manny, I have no idea how we can judge his evaluations yet. He's got a class a year in, a covid class and a class that has never played. We have gone through some of the kids in other threads. Also, evaluations include two different things, one of which is harder to see evidence of until you get more data over time. Did you botch the eval on the kids you took, is a question. An equally important question is did you mis-focus and omit taking kids who you should have taken. The latter becomes clear when there's a pattern. The former can at least sometimes be seen in an individual instance.

Advertisement
Back