Travis Hunter

Y’all post more ridiculous things by the day. This would be an issue if FCS players never went in the first round. Or if the super bowl mvp/top WR in the game didn’t go to a FCS or if one of the top backers in the game didn’t go to an HBCU. The way y’all talk , you’d only think p5 players/national champions get drafted in the first round. The league literally has the best players from every level. It’s an anomaly for anyone to get drafted.

I mean Bobby Wagner went to Utah State, Fred Warner went to BYU, Demario Davis went to Arkansas State, Alex Singleton went to Montana Stare, and Darius Leonard went to South Carolina State. All low level g5 or fcs schools (BYU is now p5). The competition argument is played out when there is an exceptional talent. Y’all see FCS talent in the NFL every week but continue to make this weak argument. He’s a 5 ⭐️ kid not a 3 ⭐️ recruit. Unless you feel nfl scouts should punish him for opting to go to an HBCU, why should his stock take a hit if he dominates? What’s the different with him getting drafted 1st round and any other fcs athlete getting drafted 1st round in the past?

I’m aware of all that and I don’t see how this is a ridiculous argument. Statistically, there is less than 1 FCS player taken in the first round every year (22 total, ever). I find it hard to believe that in their meeting rooms, scouts don’t ever question the prospects’ level of competition. Yes, Hunter is an anomaly, but all else equal does he have a better shot at being a top 10 pick at Alabama or at Jackson state?

And I don’t care what level of athlete you are. The NFL has a way of humbling you. It’s going to be a wake up call when you’re used to covering some joe smo running a 4.85 40 every day at practice to having to go 1 on 1 with Ceedee Lamb.

I think it’s ridiculous to say it doesn’t matter at all.

Advertisement
The Jackson State spring game is a glorified High School game. He is super skinny, needs a ton of weight. He reminds me of Brashard Smith. Hunter would be great as a weapon in a D1 offense but not as the #1 option. Teams would just body him all day and if he went across the middle, he would get murdered.

I know I'm a hater but I just don't see it.

I’m aware of all that and I don’t see how this is a ridiculous argument. Statistically, there is less than 1 FCS player taken in the first round every year (22 total, ever). I find it hard to believe that in their meeting rooms, scouts don’t ever question the prospects’ level of competition. Yes, Hunter is an anomaly, but all else equal does he have a better shot at being a top 10 pick at Alabama or at Jackson state?

And I don’t care what level of athlete you are. The NFL has a way of humbling you. It’s going to be a wake up call when you’re used to covering some joe smo running a 4.85 40 every day at practice to having to go 1 on 1 with Ceedee Lamb.

The NFL humbles everyone but if a kid dominates his comp and has all the measures well, he shouldn’t be punished for going to an HBCU. Let the NFL figure it out. Like I said, some of the top players dominating in the league are fcs players. The only difference with Hunter and them is that he’s not a hidden gem and the scouts will be watching him weekly. All he needs to do is ball out especially against fbs opponents. Other than that, you are overrating the competition argument. It’s weak, especially when Trey Lance went 1st round after only playing 15 games

And I don’t care what level of athlete you are. The NFL has a way of humbling you. It’s going to be a wake up call when you’re used to covering some joe smo running a 4.85 40 every day at practice to having to go 1 on 1 Ceedee Lamb.

I looked up the same stats about FCS players earlier and saw the same thing. For the most part I agree with u. It makes sense.

What throws the argument off though are players like Josh Allen. Not exactly FCS, but he played at Wyoming. His stats were so bad that I STILL can't believe a team took him in the first round. Or ****.. drafted him at all.

I think my point is that competition (or stats apparently) flat out do not matter for some prospects. Probably more so for QBs. But still, they're gonna go early if they're legit. Just makes me wonder what'll happen in the future if Hunter stays 3 years at JSU and still gets drafted early. Will other players start trying to go the small school route if they think it won't affect their chances of getting drafted early?

I looked up the same stats about FCS players earlier and saw the same thing. For the most part I agree with u. It makes sense.

What throws the argument off though are players like Josh Allen. Not exactly FCS, but he played at Wyoming. His stats were so bad that I STILL can't believe a team took him in the first round. Or ****.. drafted him at all.

I think my point is that competition (or stats apparently) flat out do not matter for some prospects. Probably more so for QBs. But still, they're gonna go early if they're legit. Just makes me wonder what'll happen in the future if Hunter stays 3 years at JSU and still gets drafted early. Will other players start trying to go the small school route if they think it won't affect their chances of getting drafted early?

Definitely, he’s an anomaly and probably a sure fire 1st round pick barring major injuries. Still don’t think it’s in his best interest to be at Jackson State. There’s that saying, “leave no doubt.”

And for the NIL argument, maybe I’m wrong but if he continues to ball out and get national recognition I’m sure just about all these blue bloods can outbid Barstool. But hey, maybe there’s a HBCU/social justice angle that scores him big, I dunno

Man it really is peak offseason..

Advertisement
Y’all post more ridiculous things by the day. This would be an issue if FCS players never went in the first round. Or if the super bowl mvp/top WR in the game didn’t go to a FCS or if one of the top backers in the game didn’t go to an HBCU. The way y’all talk , you’d only think p5 players/national champions get drafted in the first round. The league literally has the best players from every level. It’s an anomaly for anyone to get drafted.

I mean Bobby Wagner went to Utah State, Fred Warner went to BYU, Demario Davis went to Arkansas State, Alex Singleton went to Montana Stare, and Darius Leonard went to South Carolina State. All low level g5 or fcs schools (BYU is now p5). The competition argument is played out when there is an exceptional talent. Y’all see FCS talent in the NFL every week but continue to make this weak argument. He’s a 5 ⭐️ kid not a 3 ⭐️ recruit. Unless you feel nfl scouts should punish him for opting to go to an HBCU, why should his stock take a hit if he dominates? What’s the different with him getting drafted 1st round and any other fcs athlete getting drafted 1st round in the past?

Yeah; I brought out something similar a while ago. However, the counter to this is the greater majority of players drafted are still from D1 programs, particularly P5s. Yes, FCS schools r getting more notice. We’ve had Trey Lance, Tytus Howard, Carson Wentz, Joe Flacco get drafted in the 1st, but it’s a huge, huge discrepancy of guys playing at HBCU’s/FCS schools that r getting drafted 1st round, champ. We see a couple get drafted in the 2nd round like Darius Leonard, but unfortunately, they r often overlooked.

It’s really not the same point. It’s 2022 and y’all still act like teams aren’t made up with players from all levels. Let the kid be. If he makes plays on Saturdays for the next 3 years like he did during the spring game, he’ll be playing with the best regardless of competition.
Sure thing, lol

Yeah; I brought out something similar a while ago. However, the counter to this is the greater majority of players drafted are still from D1 programs, particularly P5s. Yes, FCS schools r getting more notice. We’ve had Trey Lance, Tytus Howard, Carson Wentz, Joe Flacco get drafted in the 1st, but it’s a huge, huge discrepancy of guys playing at HBCU’s/FCS schools that r getting drafted 1st round, champ. We see a couple get drafted in the 2nd round like Darius Leonard, but unfortunately, they r often overlooked.

They are often overlooked but exceptional talent always stand out. Hunter is a well known exceptional talent. Not a random John Doe. There was an NAIA lineman invited to the combine this year. Fayetteville State has a 6’3 CB with a 4.5 40 that will be drafted. Those guys are getting looks because they are exceptional talents with measurements. We already know about Hunter. If he balls, I doubt an NFL team will say don’t draft him because he went to an HBCU. Especially if he progresses from a physical perspective. If they are drafting FCS QBs in the 1st round they can draft a DB.

Advertisement
Why are some people so sensitive when it comes to him and Jackson State?

He's gonna be facing garbage competition, it's okay to admit

Why are some people so critical of a young man who chose a school he wanted to attend? It’s his chose, it’s okay to admit that y’all weak arguments aren’t deterring him from him being happy with his own decision. The kid thinks for himself.

Why are some people so critical of a young man who chose a school he wanted to attend? It’s his chose, it’s okay to admit that y’all weak arguments aren’t deterring him from him being happy with his own decision. The kid thinks for himself.

No one is trying to be critical of him on a personal level. Don’t know the young man and certainly do not care what his decision is, I respect what he’s trying to do. This is a football forum where people argue stupid **** that doesn’t matter. As my old ball coach would say, opinions are like buttholes — everyone’s got one and they all stink.

The Jackson State spring game is a glorified High School game. He is super skinny, needs a ton of weight. He reminds me of Brashard Smith. Hunter would be great as a weapon in a D1 offense but not as the #1 option. Teams would just body him all day and if he went across the middle, he would get murdered.

I know I'm a hater but I just don't see it.
Lol I’m trying to figure out how he reminds you of Brashard Smith

They are often overlooked but exceptional talent always stand out. Hunter is a well known exceptional talent. Not a random John Doe. There was an NAIA lineman invited to the combine this year. Fayetteville State has a 6’3 CB with a 4.5 40 that will be drafted. Those guys are getting looks because they are exceptional talents with measurements. We already know about Hunter. If he balls, I doubt an NFL team will say don’t draft him because he went to an HBCU. Especially if he progresses from a physical perspective. If they are drafting FCS QBs in the 1st round they can draft a DB.

We’ll see; QBs get certain carte blanche that other positions don’t.

Advertisement

Where did I criticize him? lmao

No one is trying to be critical of him on a personal level. Don’t know the young man and certainly do not care what his decision is, I respect what he’s trying to do. This is a football forum where people argue stupid **** that doesn’t matter. As my old ball coach would say, opinions are like buttholes — everyone’s got one and they all stink.

I never said not to have an opinion. I like a healthy debate. Although I disagree with some of your points. I don’t see anything wrong with them. They are fair and honest points. I just refute them by saying the league has already addressed those concerns and we see them every Sunday. But you didn’t say anything morally wrong. As for the post you quoted it was directed to the person who said “why are people so sensitive to Hunter and Jackson State?”

Advertisement
We’ll see; QBs get certain carte blanche that other positions don’t.

It’s also a harder position to transition to on the next level. Whereas DBs have been D2 udfas and won the super bowl or become pro bowlers. Or D3 linemen become super bowl winners. The nfl draft is all about getting the best talent. What can potentially hurt Hunter is if he looks the same 3 years from now as he does today and if he runs a 4.6. The league will only care about his measurements.

Its okay to admit that the only reason Hunter went to Jackson State is because of Deion & a Barstool duffle bag filled with 100s. Im sure this kid doesn’t give a fück about HBCUs at the end of the day. $ talks

Its okay to admit that the only reason Hunter went to Jackson State is because of Deion & a Barstool duffle bag filled with 100s. Im sure this kid doesn’t give a fück about HBCUs at the end of the day. $ talks

Of course the kid chose JSU because of Deion. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s common sense. That being said, it’s absurd that we draw up reasons on why he shouldn’t go first round if he dominates. Like the league should punish him for choosing an HBCU.

I’m sure if Deion wasn’t there the kid would be at Bama or UGA. I doubt FSU. Deion and his connections gave him reason to go. No one is denying that.

Advertisement
Back