Travis homer 2018 expectations

Hopefully we can mix it up a little more this year with our offensive sets.

Did we even run a single play from under center our out of the pistol formation last year? I really don't remember.

Advertisement
QB position will be the deciding factor whether Homer has decent numbers or great numbers. I am hoping for decent numbers. We need to be balanced, not a one-legged bionic chicken.

QB position will be the deciding factor whether Homer has decent numbers or great numbers. I am hoping for decent numbers. We need to be balanced, not a one-legged bionic chicken.

Just imagine how bad it would be if the chicken WASN'T bionic.

How so?

We ranked 118th and 101st nationally in rushing yards per game the last two seasons with Brad Kaaya behind center.

Last season we were 79th. Take away Rosier’s contributions just for sake of fair comparison, and we were 115th last season.

Two vastly different QBs with vastly different skill sets, yet near identical numbers from the tailback position.

I hate to have to state the obvious, but it’s not the QB that determines the success of the running game unless you’re GaTech. It’s the big guys in the trenches that dictate running success.

Advertisement
How so?

We ranked 118th and 101st nationally in rushing yards per game the last two seasons with Brad Kaaya behind center.

Last season we were 79th. Take away Rosier’s contributions just for sake of fair comparison, and we were 115th last season.

Two vastly different QBs with vastly different skill sets, yet near identical numbers from the tailback position.

I hate to have to state the obvious, but it’s not the QB that determines the success of the running game unless you’re GaTech. It’s the big guys in the trenches that dictate running success.

Are you making an argument for me or against me? I’d hate to state the obvious too. Seriously, you’re going to compare Homer with one year under his belt under MR, with Golden-coached and developed players? You make my point, BK was good, if no one hit him, and by the stats you quote, the running game didn’t help him.

I know, a stat comparison makes for a compelling argument. However, comparing stats only matters In retrospect, I believe. With Homer experienced, and Rosier a little more seasoned, I see a more balanced offense under MR, knowing his tendencies. We also happen to have better TE/WR talent this year. So either Rosier delivers, and we have a decent running game, or Rosier flubs and we have to rely greatly on the running game, ending up with great numbers. The OL only has to be decent to start with, but if Rosier and the running game don’t show up, no OL in the world can stop a defense smelling blood (You made that point with BK). My argument is based on the talent/experience/coaching I see, and I see more production out of this offense than last year’s.

Are you making an argument for me or against me? I’d hate to state the obvious too. Seriously, you’re going to compare Homer with one year under his belt under MR, with Golden-coached and developed players? You make my point, BK was good, if no one hit him, and by the stats you quote, the running game didn’t help him.

I know, a stat comparison makes for a compelling argument. However, comparing stats only matters In retrospect, I believe. With Homer experienced, and Rosier a little more seasoned, I see a more balanced offense under MR, knowing his tendencies. We also happen to have better TE/WR talent this year. So either Rosier delivers, and we have a decent running game, or Rosier flubs and we have to rely greatly on the running game, ending up with great numbers. The OL only has to be decent to start with, but if Rosier and the running game don’t show up, no OL in the world can stop a defense smelling blood (You made that point with BK). My argument is based on the talent/experience/coaching I see, and I see more production out of this offense than last year’s.
My argument was against your notion that QB play will be the determining factor in whether or not we will have success in the run game. It would seem, though, that you yourself no longer stand by that as this post indicates that you now believe coaching, play calling, o-line blocking, and supporting cast also play pivotal roles in determining the success of the run game. Good job.

My argument was against your notion that QB play will be the determining factor in whether or not we will have success in the run game. It would seem, though, that you yourself no longer stand by that as this post indicates that you now believe coaching, play calling, o-line blocking, and supporting cast also play pivotal roles in determining the success of the run game. Good job.
Ok.

Bottom line - Rosier needs to run the ball less.

The RB's only had 267 total carries last year. That's way too few given the talent we have in the backfield this year.

Advertisement
Bottom line - Rosier needs to run the ball less.

The RB's only had 267 total carries last year. That's way too few given the talent we have in the backfield this year.

I disagree, Rosier running the ball is what made up for his lack of passing ability. He had a ton of big runs in the VT, ND, and UNC games.

I think a lot will depend on FBs Realus George and Choc.
Should help in short yardage situations but that’s about it. Don’t want Miami to be a ground and pound team when we have elite athletes on the edge too. Needs to be balanced

Should help in short yardage situations but that’s about it. Don’t want Miami to be a ground and pound team when we have elite athletes on the edge too. Needs to be balanced
Balance is getting your personnel involved in multiple ways from multiple sets. You can't have other teams keying run every time they see your FB on the field. You're going to see us with a lot of 21 personnel on 1st downs and also 2nd and medium situations where we can either run or pass. He's not going to abandon 10 and 11, but he made his name at UGA by running play action on 2nd and 4 type situations where the run/pass chance is 50/50.

Plainly stated, Richt's offense will struggle if we can't consistently pick up 3 or 4 on 1st downs, and you do that by being able to run the ball consistently.

Advertisement
I disagree, Rosier running the ball is what made up for his lack of passing ability. He had a ton of big runs in the VT, ND, and UNC games.
The last three seasons we've ranked 101st, 118th, and 79th in rushing yards per game. The difference last season was Rosier's 480 yards rushing. Take those away and we're right back around 115th.

I will agree, though, that as the season wore on, he seemed to get a little worse at reading the end on that ZR Richt likes to call. I don't know if it was frustration, or if the defenses figured out a way to fool him into keeping the ball, but I'm sure our coaches know what it was and will have it corrected by September.

You cant rip off big yards when you get stuck behind the line. Full back will be essential if we have anychance of getting into a Defensive backfield.

Balance is getting your personnel involved in multiple ways from multiple sets. You can't have other teams keying run every time they see your FB on the field. You're going to see us with a lot of 21 personnel on 1st downs and also 2nd and medium situations where we can either run or pass. He's not going to abandon 10 and 11, but he made his name at UGA by running play action on 2nd and 4 type situations where the run/pass chance is 50/50.

Plainly stated, Richt's offense will struggle if we can't consistently pick up 3 or 4 on 1st downs, and you do that by being able to run the ball consistently.

I'd take 4 yards on first down and to be honest second down also , third and short oh the humanity there D would be in what the F now mindset with our TE's ,flanker in motion and RB ready , very nice scenario AGREE ?.

GOCANES

Advertisement
I'd take 4 yards on first down and to be honest second down also , third and short oh the humanity there D would be in what the F now mindset with our TE's ,flanker in motion and RB ready , very nice scenario AGREE ?.

GOCANES
3 yards and a cloud of dust football won't cut it at Miami. We just don't have access to the types of big bodied maulers that the Midwestern states have, and we don't have the bag game like the SEC to go out of state shopping for 5* O-linemen.

We're going to have to be balanced to keep defenses honest. Part of that comes from the wealth of skill position talent available in South Florida. The other part is maintaining favorable down and distance situations so that defenses cannot key on certain strengths and weaknesses.

3 yards and a cloud of dust football won't cut it at Miami. We just don't have access to the types of big bodied maulers that the Midwestern states have, and we don't have the bag game like the SEC to go out of state shopping for 5* O-linemen.

We're going to have to be balanced to keep defenses honest. Part of that comes from the wealth of skill position talent available in South Florida. The other part is maintaining favorable down and distance situations so that defenses cannot key on certain strengths and weaknesses.

Excellent point , I do agree also in going DEEP on first down please don't mistaken me I was just thinking it is an option to also run out the clock among other things.

GOCANES

No doubt Rosier has some big runs. I don't think he should stop running - he just shouldn't do it as often.

I want the ball in the hands of our RB's more than I do Rosier.

If the breakdown of carries this year was:

Homer - 180
Dallas - 50
Lingard - 50

That's 280 carries vs. 267 last year. And that doesn't look like enough carries for any of them IMO. To get them more carries, Rosier has to get less.

Advertisement
Back