Travis homer 2018 expectations

brock

All-American
What are y’all expecting from him this season? I think He can get 1400 yards plus with a full season as the #1 guy. Hes that good. I’m very high on the talent of Travis homer but for good reason. His explosiveness and speed sticks out. Only 5’11 200 pounds but he runs tough as ****. I’ll go ahead and say it but we haven’t had a running back show up in more big moments than he has in a long time. The 170 performance vs ga tech, 148 yard performance vs #3 Notre Dame, big runs vs FSU, game setting run vs #13 va tech.
Will become a household name this year and be a top 5 or top 10 back

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't doubt Homer's ability, I doubt the OL's.
We fix 3rd down issues and we will be alright. The oline isn’t that bad. Even with their faults our rbs(Walton, homer, dallas) still ran very well collectively and there were lanes for nearly all of the games except unc and pitt

Last edited:
1,400 what? No way we will have a 1,400 yard rushing back when they will split the carries.

Advertisement
I think that Homer will have a great season, but I can't see him getting near rushing 1,400 yards, not because he isn't capable, but because I believe we will be a "RB by committee" type of team.

Deejay will be a legit #2 RB, which means his carries are guaranteed to go up from last year. Also, Lingard will get a few snaps as well.

Homer will kill it this year, but there's simply not enough snaps for him to achieve such a lofty goal, imo.

The backfield is a lot more crowded this year than last so he may not get the requisite carries to have a monster year. Still he's a home run threat (pun intended) and I'm a huge fan. I'm going to pencil him in for over 1000 yards and 10 TDs with a healthy yards per carry average.

I don't doubt Homer's ability, I doubt the OL's.

If we're not at least better at run blocking, something's very wrong.

McDermott and Darling were good in pass protection, but they graded near the bottom of the ACC in pass blocking.

It's probably a bigger deal for our other backs. Homer is a home run threat. He'll get his #s just because he can break big runs. I'd like to see more consistency though

Advertisement
We fix 3rd down issues and we will be alright. The oline isn’t that bad. Even with their faults our rbs(Walton, homer, dallas) still ran very well collectively and there were lanes for nearly all of the games except unc and pitt
What games were you watching? In 13 games we failed to have a back break 100 yards 9 times, and 4 times nobody broke 50. We ranked 79th in rushing yards per game and much of that was due to early success with QB keepers on zone reads. Those became less effective as the season wore down and teams started keying Rosier. Take away his 468 yards rushing and we would have ranked 115th in rushing yards per game. We were 101st in 2016, and 118th in 2015. Anyone who thinks our "improvement" running the ball last season was due to some marked improvement in O-line play is delusional. Travis Homer had 849 yards with 3 games to play and ended up with 966. I don't know how someone who ended last season averaging 39 yards per game is going to somehow average the 107.7 it would take to tally 1400 next season.

I think Homer is a **** of a back, but we need serious improvement on the o-line. Statistically, we were the worst rushing team most of our opponents faced all season and they all had at least 1 FCS school on their schedule with the exception of Wisconsin.

Like I said in the spring ball podcast with DMoney, he hits the hole harder than prom night. I don't really like making stat predictions because so many other factors can control that, but there's not another back in the ACC I'd choose over him

Reminds me so much of Michael Pittman. Anybody remember him?

Advertisement
What are y’all expecting from him this season? I think He can get 1400 yards plus with a full season as the #1 guy. Hes that good. I’m very high on the talent of Travis homer but for good reason. His explosiveness and speed sticks out. Only 5’11 200 pounds but he runs tough as ****. I’ll go ahead and say it but we haven’t had a running back show up in more big moments than he has in a long time. The 170 performance vs ga tech, 148 yard performance vs #3 Notre Dame, big runs vs FSU, game setting run vs #13 va tech.
Will become a household name this year and be a top 5 or top 10 back

I agree, he is in store for a really great year, and his ability to show up and make big plays in big games is something we truly haven't had at the RB position in many years. I can't remember anyone that stands out since McGahee/Gore/Portis, to be honest.

That said, I put the O/U at 1,200 yards rushing for him this year.

I do hope we get our running backs more involved in the passing game than we have since Rick got here. We need to do it to help out our QB's. We need to do it because we have young or inconsistent TE's. We need to do it because it's such a powerful offensive weapon to keep the chains moving. But mostly we need to do it because we have backs that are above average to elite at catching the ball out of the backfield and can turn simple plays into big ones.

This is a huge piece we have been missing and need to incorporate. I want to see Homer take Sony Michel's job in NE 18 months from now.

Advertisement
1,400 what? No way we will have a 1,400 yard rushing back when they will split the carries.
I think that Homer will have a great season, but I can't see him getting near rushing 1,400 yards, not because he isn't capable, but because I believe we will be a "RB by committee" type of team.

Deejay will be a legit #2 RB, which means his carries are guaranteed to go up from last year. Also, Lingard will get a few snaps as well.

Homer will kill it this year, but there's simply not enough snaps for him to achieve such a lofty goal, imo.
He had 966 yards last season and didn’t start until the 5th game of the season

Reminds me so much of Michael Pittman. Anybody remember him?
You doing a disservice to Travis. I’m a bucs fan the comparison is completely off base other than the fact of how he hits the hole. Homer is a much better athelte imo

Oline play will be big factor. How about rushing yards against ACC teams and LSU? Not including our Non-power five opponents

I think Homer is a **** of a back, but we need serious improvement on the o-line. Statistically, we were the worst rushing team most of our opponents faced all season and they all had at least 1 FCS school on their schedule with the exception of Wisconsin.

Maybe you should factor in the part where we were playing against teams that knew we could not complete passes down the field. There were flashes last season where we were imposing our will on Defenses running the ball. I can't remember the last time we did that. Its been at least a decade. Hopefully we take another step forward this year.

Advertisement
Back