Transition years

Who is their QB? They have lost a lot of talent to the NFL recently
Drake Maye. Don’t buy the talk about the “competition” between him and Criswell. Maye is the guy. He was considered by everyone here as a better future pro prospect than Howell was coming out of high school. They’re super high on him. Obviously that’s all a projection and you can’t know for sure if it’ll turn out that way, bc Howell was really good. But that was the word. Either way they’ll take their lumps with him as the younger guy to get him experience. Much higher ceiling.

Advertisement
Manny left the team in a much better position than his predecessors. I'm not sure I'm ready to say we'll win the ACC outright. Clemson won 10 games last year and we're considering that a bad year for them. They return most of their team from last year and added two 5-stars QBs to their roster. They'll be a tough out.

I expect us to win the Coastal and get into the ACC championship game though.

Agreed.

This is why I am not a "100%-Manny-hater". He tried. He improved our QB room more than anyone in over 20 years. He did put together some talent that didn't immediately hit the Portal when things didn't go well and/or the regime changed. I don't have to list a lot of things, because I don't have a lot of things, but I think that he left things in a bit of a better spot than anyone has since Butch. Now, if Manny had hung around for another year, maybe we couldn't say that any longer, but still.

I'm still excited for all of the improvements that Mario is making, though.

D$ - great stuff as usual and I love how you point out stuff that some may not think about/realize. I keep coming back to this (and this is some credit to Manny and staff but most of it to Mario) but we got one of the top kids in the following states: SC, Louisiana, Georgia, MS and a possible hidden gem from AL. THAT is unheard of around these parts knowing how hard it is to pull top kids from SEC country especially from states like Louisiana and Georgia. And I can't stress enough how big of a signing Citizen is - you nailed it, that state is one of the hardest states to pull top prospects from. We've NEVER done it and Mario did it in a month.
Akeem Jolla was a 5 star out of Louisiana that we had. Mostly played like a 1 star.

We need a CB, too.

DMoney, I think we are very close on the 85 counter number right now, meaning that if we are to get anywhere near to having 22-29 ICs for this class (22 being the low-end, with 3 of the 2022 ICs used by Fall enrollees, and 29 being the high-end if we max out on 7 Portal replacement ICs), we will need to have more than 6 more kids transfer out, correct? (Nesta was 1 of the 7, so six more, plus more than six to get us back to 85 if we take more Portal kids)

Advertisement
Good pull but that was 20 years ago - you made my point. :)
Jolla (RIP) signed with us the next year, but it feels like the real turning point was when Saban beat us for Michael Clayton and Marcus Spears. Those guys were a key part of his title team.

Richt's hiring was actually the moment our administration finally woke up from its 10-year coma. Problem was, our program in 2016 was so so far behind the top programs that he was digging out of a 200 foot sinkhole so all of his great efforts and achievements were simply not enough. And through Manny's tenure, it became even more apparent we needed a complete rebuild of the program from top to bottom.

With the genuine commitment from Frenck and the BOT (thanks Herbstreit!), bringing in Radakovich and Mario, and leveraging Ruiz, I think we are finally on the right track.

Nah. The wake-up was in 2021.

I love Mark Richt, he is a UM alum, but there was no "wake-up" in 2015. Even though Richt had the best resume of any UM HC hire ever at the time, he was a "lazy hire". Beta Blake zeroed in on Richt the same way he would zero in on Manny 3 years later. I'm not saying we woulda/coulda hired anyone better than Richt in 2015, but we didn't even really make an effort.

And, while I do love the Mario hire, there is a balance to be struck here as well. We did focus primarily on Mario, though we did utilize some outside assistance and some new voices (Joe Echevarria). In all honesty, Miami hasn't done a truly wide-open head football coach search since we hired Golden.

We got pretty fortunate with Richt and Cristobal, but the wake-up call was in 2021. And the coma was more like 15 years long, since the final years of Paul Dee's tenure and the first-ever firing of a UM head football coach (Coker).

DMoney, I think we are very close on the 85 counter number right now, meaning that if we are to get anywhere near to having 22-29 ICs for this class (22 being the low-end, with 3 of the 2022 ICs used by Fall enrollees, and 29 being the high-end if we max out on 7 Portal replacement ICs), we will need to have more than 6 more kids transfer out, correct? (Nesta was 1 of the 7, so six more, plus more than six to get us back to 85 if we take more Portal kids)
You know better than me. I've learned not to worry about attrition. It tends to happen naturally, especially with a new, demanding staff.

Advertisement
Facts from @DMoney. I especially love the 2021 + 2022 classes when taken together. If Mario lands the type of 2023 honeymoon class we think he will, the fly wheel will be in motion.

As for the upcoming season, Pitt and UNC are replacing NFL QBs. Virginia and Va Tech are replacing HCs, and they aren't A players. Duke and Ga Tech are P5 midtier schools. FSU is a shell of itself, Steele won't recognize them. ... There is no reason we shouldn't get a crack at Clemson twice in one month.

TVD >>>> Ukulele (or whatever his name is)
Well put.
TVD will be at least a 4-5 point advantage in every spread of every game. The onus for next season will be on our offensive play calling since we know this offense puts up 30 with Lashlee calling plays and without a consistent running game.
And as importantly on the defense and whether the defense can hold teams to 25 or less. if that happens we will play in the ACC championship game.

Manny left the team in a much better position than his predecessors. I'm not sure I'm ready to say we'll win the ACC outright. Clemson won 10 games last year and we're considering that a bad year for them. They return most of their team from last year and added two 5-stars QBs to their roster. They'll be a tough out.

I expect us to win the Coastal and get into the ACC championship game though.
I think we close the gap on Clemson. I believe we can compete with them and actually win. Pitt beat Clemson. Clemson's offense sucked, but Pitt still put up points on Clemson's prize defense.

The great news is we get the opportunity to find out where we stand. Have we arrived or is there a long way to go?....TBD

Jolla (RIP) signed with us the next year, but it feels like the real turning point was when Saban beat us for Michael Clayton and Marcus Spears. Those guys were a key part of his title team.
Totally forgot Jolla had passed away. Sad story..
Yes, that Peach Bowl stomping was the pivot point of the program's downward spiral. It clearly exposed the slow slide to mediocrity that we all didn't want to see, but was staring us right in the face.

You know better than me. I've learned not to worry about attrition. It tends to happen naturally, especially with a new, demanding staff.

Yeah, I know the numbers, but I don't always get the gossip that you do about whether a player or players would be likely to transfer out.

Appreciate your response, I am just very curious about the process, and whether Mario is "anticipating" some to flunk out of Cristobal Hogwarts Semester 1.

Advertisement
perhaps you are right, but he played horribly last year. let's agree that DVD was the problem and give me a new clean slate for 2022.
but he played great the year before. so the potential is there. so you may be right also, but just not for me, again "yet."

Advertisement
Man just saw that the ‘big 3’ in FL landed only 30% of the top 20 kids in 2022. IMG impacts that sure but that’s insanity considering the three coaches make $20m combined lol

Man just saw that the ‘big 3’ in FL landed only 30% of the top 20 kids in 2022. IMG impacts that sure but that’s insanity considering the three coaches make $20m combined lol

Two of those coaches arrived in December.

Evidently some of you expect miracles. Let's revisit this percentage this time next year, I bet it's vastly different.

Pretty amazing what's happened in the past two months. We very well could be a team that puts together a real nice first-year campaign. At a minimum, 9-3 with a solid bowl berth would be a real accomplishment. I think we could be better than that though, especially with the QB we have and the far better coaching.
Absolutely!!! 9-3 should be the absolute expectation, if not even 10-2.

A 9-3 year or better next year, in Mario’s first year, with a full year to recruit…..ya WATCH THE FVCK OUT

Advertisement
Back