Transition years

College Football Reaction GIF by ACC Network
my all time fav cane gif

Advertisement
Are you hearing anything on how we landed Citizen? Because he was not even on anyones radar here.

What’s the last time we got a high 4 star guy completely out of the blue on NSD beating out two SEC powers?

Really impressive work by whoever is mainly responsible.
Not this decade or the last

Richt got us out of the dark and operating like a real program. It was still a step below optimal. Then we took a step back with manure hiring. Now we’re actually putting forth effort
Richt should be respected for what he did. I thought it sucked that Satan's disciple in Georgia was able to bring a championship to Georgia and he was not.

Advertisement
I started reading this board around the time Mark Richt got hired. His hiring had given me hope that the administration had gotten serious about UM football
Richt's hiring was actually the moment our administration finally woke up from its 10-year coma. Problem was, our program in 2016 was so so far behind the top programs that he was digging out of a 200 foot sinkhole so all of his great efforts and achievements were simply not enough. And through Manny's tenure, it became even more apparent we needed a complete rebuild of the program from top to bottom.

With the genuine commitment from Frenck and the BOT (thanks Herbstreit!), bringing in Radakovich and Mario, and leveraging Ruiz, I think we are finally on the right track.

Need some more transfers at OL, DT and LB.

With good health, this team has to win the coastal. Anything short of that is a failure for Mario. There is enough talent to beta UNC, Pitt, Va Tech and Virginia.

The Clemson crossover in year 1 sucks but it’s a great opportunity to see where we stack up with them now verse two yea

UNC has recruited well under Mack. They have beaten us 3 years in a row, Howell was a big reason for 2 of those wins. He is gone, we have them at home, we need to win that game.

I'm not sure why people keep sleeping on Pitt. They return the most well balanced team in the Coastal if you are not including Miami.

Slovis got hurt this past year, but he is a proven power 5 QB who can throw the ball. Pitt returns a solid RB group, and the best WR group in ACC.

On defense they return most of that side of ball including All ACC Calijah Kancey who we passed on. They won 11 games including the ACC last year, and almost beat Michigan State with their 3rd team QB. I know Michigan State didn't have Walker also.
as the great Ricky from Trailer Park Boys once remarked, I hate those Hillabilly's.

Advertisement
Are you hearing anything on how we landed Citizen? Because he was not even on anyones radar here.

What’s the last time we got a high 4 star guy completely out of the blue on NSD beating out two SEC powers?

We've been recruiting him hard since December. You should know that because there is a 20+ page thread about it right above this one that started before Christmas. Allocate more of your schtick time to football and it will help.

Excellent post & points @DMoney!

This is by far the best shape we're in during a regime change. The admin is in better shape, the roster is in better shape, and Mario has already proved himself in recruiting.

I do find it odd that the cloud has become this small side note in Golden's recruiting. His coaching issues would've been the same, but he would've stocked the roster with much more talent. It's really understated just how much that held back his ability to recruit.

I would have to look at their roster I honestly have no clue who they have. They barely beat us last year and I think we are bringing back more talent and we get them at home. It “should” be a win

I agree - UNC is right with us talent wise. I expect Mario to start creating a wider gap though. As long as Mack Brown at UNC, they'll be a challenge.

I think UNC QB is going to be a battle between:

Jacolby Criswell - 2020 - #11 Dual QB - #262 overall
Drake Maye - 2021 - QB9 - #56 overall

I agree - UNC is right with us talent wise. I expect Mario to start creating a wider gap though. As long as Mack Brown at UNC, they'll be a challenge.

I think UNC QB is going to be a battle between:

Jacolby Criswell - 2020 - #11 Dual QB - #262 overall
Drake Maye - 2021 - QB9 - #56 overall
Mack brown has certainly bolstered their roster since he’s been there and will continue to do so

Advertisement
Advertisement
Awesome write up and insight! Obviously what has me most excited was Mario landing Moss, Kelly, Skinner, Citizen, etc. but what's a close second is he didn't reach for a bunch of projects just to fill the class the last two months. The easy route would have been to fill the class with a handful of 3 stars just to get more bodies and bump the class ranking but Mario did not want to burden our roster like that. We would have probably hyped some of them up but in reality they would have been busts.

Mario is super calculated and will add some more talent via the portal or juco.

to be fair, david lake and gabby were constantly saying how citizen was trending positively and that kevin smith and mario did a great job with him, his visit was great etc. They were saying he is 'probably' gonna end up with auburn or an SEC team, but that there was a chance and the miami staff felt really good about him.

to answer your question, the guy that stands out the most to me in that we landed someone completely out of the blue, highly rated, was lesean mccoy. he obviously never came here, but he committed to us on signing day and that was really out of the blue

Advertisement
Back