Transfers, etc. under Al Golden

Let's not forget Jermaine Barton... He was really productive at Illinois State and may be a mid-round to late-round selection...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Golden gave all those 2012 guys commitable offers for attending his sh***y summer camp.

****. Didn't terry look good last year? I haven't been paying much attention. Why and where is he going?

Plays for Tennessee State, its D1AA. Had 11.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles coming off the bench in pass rush situations.

Advertisement
There was some talent in that list. EJ, Paul, Terry, Bunche, K Hester, Figs, Finnie, Lockhart. Obviously Ray Ray... But talented players get kicked off of Bama and FSU and OSU all the time, or transfer when they are beaten out by even more talented players. Our problem has been the depth of talent. We lose a kid to a transfer or off-the-field issues, and we end up need to start guys like Highsmith or Cornelius. When Bunche left, we lucked out that we had three freshman who were able to fill in, or else we would have had Odogwu and Wells out there. Still too many JAGs underneath our first string guys.

Gionni Paul will play in the NFL. Not sure for how long, but the NFL will give him at least one check.

Advertisement
Grimble if you can believe it is going pro early. He missed most of the yr from a knee injury. He is rated as the 24th best DT. Ran a 4.86 40. Storm i believe is in the nfl

The real issue is why most of these JAGS got schollies in the first place. It seems like the new approach might be to give these slots now to local JAGS who have more of a shot to develop into something useful.

Did any player on those lists even contribute or play for another team? It really does not look like anyone else even wanted them. Could not have been that big a loss.

Gionni Paul was in the top 20 for tackles last season.

Paul "transferred" because he walked into Josh Witt's room and took his laptop. And that's the stuff we know about. I agree the rate is bad, but it seems like a series of contributing factors that are each moderately high, leading to an extremely high overall percentage. The issues I see are the following, each of which was bad but is improving:

* We took some risks on players with potential upside who didn't show anything and so they were pushed out (probably 50% of that list)
* We took some risks on players with potential upside who turned out to be good but couldn't avoid bad behavior issues (rape, robbery, agents) (about 30% of that list)
* Some players just didn't want to play for Golden (about 20% of that list, from what has been reported, probably larger)
* We recruited some guys who we didn't expect to get in and they didn't (and a few who did)

2012 was a bad year, which is undeniable. The last two years are not out of line with other programs. Maybe it is because the AD is blocking transfers, maybe not. It seems odd that we would allow so many transfers in 2012 and then start blocking all of them. Not a slurper or a homer, just how I analyze the data presented.

The real issue, that many have identified, is that we just need to recruit better players and fewer projects. The list is probably typical for a coach trying to build a program. This is Miami, we shouldn't have to build a program. The talent is all right here.

Advertisement
I'm more concerned about guys getting kicked off the team. This is a major red flag. You basically recruit a red flag kid and you fail. This tells me the support is not there. So why take the chance.

One thing is to roll the dice on a kid that may develop but is a good character person. Worst case is the kid transfers because he just isn't good enough. The other is a kid that does something stupid and creates a black eye for the school and he's getting kicked off anyway.

Trending up.

We've had fewer players leave every year after 2012.

Please keep in mind that C.A.G. had to clean up the mess Shannzook left for him, and then had to recruit under The Cloud. C.A.G. is now showing what he can do, and Swag16 is going to be an incredible haul. We have the No. 1 ranked class at this point and C.A.G. is adding players every day!

LkTHC3e.gif

Advertisement
Back