Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Speaking for myself, I haven't 'forgotten' anything. I just think the categoricals for 'how to' build a program need to be examined.
To your points, Mario's well on his way to matching Norvell's first 2 seasons (dubiously). Especially by retaining the OC (?). And there are at least a few programs whose on-field performance surpasses their annual recruiting rankings (Utah comes to mind).
I'm not here to prop up FSU as much as to dispel a lot of the garbage spewed around here. For example, where was that weak/under-developed FSU OL CIS was joking about last off-season?
This^

Can’t stand those facks from f$u but refusing to acknowledge what Norvell accomplished last offseason, this year and this offseason is disingenuous.

People are simply giving credit where credit is due and others are getting bent out of shape because it is FSU. They are choosing portal vs high school and right now it is working for them. It’s sustainability can’t be determined for years.

They are choosing portal vs high school

Not sure it's a choice for the semenholes.

I'm surprised at the amount of pushback I'm getting on this stance. I've said he's a good player, but I have reviewed his film and this is my conclusion. There's a reason he's coming here and not the NFL draft. I'm guessing feedback he received explicitly said he needs to improve his run blocking on tape and to be consistent for a second year in pass pro.
Ok, appreciate your input, but how does he compare with the guards, including Rivers, that we fielded this past season? Would he be a significant upgrade, particularly over the non-Rivers crew? Would you move River to RT and pair Cohen with one of the incoming freshmen?

Also, surprised you weren't a bit higher on the UNC-Charlotte WR. See him as an instant starter and an upgrade over our bigger receivers.

Advertisement
I guess we will see. One guy was mocked for players jumping ship and losing to **** schools, now he’s flipped the roster, has a 10 win team and is loading up in the portal and keeping a bunch of the team returning for a 2023 title run… if they have success in 2023, not natty, but 10 wins, their recruiting will be fine…
Comparing a coach that's in year 3 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️.

Pull up his first year stats.

Mario is an elite recruiter. If we ever get to a spot where he is recruiting in the 20’s he likely needs to be fired because he doesn’t coach well enough to justify $8M a year for his game day acumen.

Fair, but coming off a season they just did, having that low a ranked class is a huge red flag. Doesn't matter how much they're getting paid.

Ok, appreciate your input, but how does he compare with the guards, including Rivers, that we fielded this past season? Would he be a significant upgrade, particularly over the non-Rivers crew? Would you move River to RT and pair Cohen with one of the incoming freshmen?

Also, surprised you weren't a bit higher on the UNC-Charlotte WR. See him as an instant starter and an upgrade over our bigger receivers.
Cohen is a massive upgrade for the starting unit, but also for the depth. Coach Cristobal clearly has a body type he prefers and this allows there to be depth with those body types and not be forced to rely on the Denis, Seymore, McCoy body types inside. Even Sagopolu is a 6-2 G body type who is square-bodied.

Cohen allows Rivers to compete at RT and not kill depth inside. He’s also a perfect bridge guy to allow youth to grow up this year.

Moving your depth chart from:

LG- Mauioga, Seymore, etc.
RG- Cooper, Kinsler, etc.

To:

LG- Cohen, Mauigoa, Kinsler
RG- Cooper/Mauigoa, Kinsler

Pretty huge difference and allows actual depth to be present.

Advertisement
Cohen is a massive upgrade for the starting unit, but also for the depth. Coach Cristobal clearly has a body type he prefers and this allows there to be depth with those body types and not be forced to rely on the Denis, Seymore, McCoy body types inside. Even Sagopolu is a 6-2 G body type who is square-bodied.

Cohen allows Rivers to compete at RT and not kill depth inside. He’s also a perfect bridge guy to allow youth to grow up this year.

Moving your depth chart from:

LG- Mauioga, Seymore, etc.
RG- Cooper, Kinsler, etc.

To:

LG- Cohen, Mauigoa, Kinsler
RG- Cooper/Mauigoa, Kinsler

Pretty huge difference and allows actual depth to be present.
It's been stated Cohen signed on to play Tackle.

Think Lance is spot-on in his view of DuBose and Thornton.

I think most would agree that they would upgrade a very weak WR room and that at least DuBose would likely emerge as an immediate starter. I also assume most would be thrilled if either came in and had a K.J. Osborn or Charleston Rambo-like impact.

But it’s also important to objectively acknowledge that there’s a world of difference between that level of player and truly elite WR1 difference makers like Chase & Jefferson at LSU or the recent wave of Bama & OSU receivers that end up as first rounders, which has continued to influence the Inniss and Jeudy types to go elsewhere.

Receivers like DuBose and Thornton would certainly be nice pickups, but neither is anywhere near the caliber of a Jameson Williams or Jordan Addison-level portal addition. And they also wouldn’t make up for how non-slot WR recruiting has been going.

Would like to get both, but there’s still a gaping hole at WR1 that can hopefully be filled by a higher-level wideout who has yet to enter the portal.

Advertisement
I'm surprised at the amount of pushback I'm getting on this stance. I've said he's a good player, but I have reviewed his film and this is my conclusion. There's a reason he's coming here and not the NFL draft. I'm guessing feedback he received explicitly said he needs to improve his run blocking on tape and to be consistent for a second year in pass pro.
Lance, I mean no disrespect to anyone else on the board, but there is a contingent of the fan base who cannot process “good but not great“ information. Mario *has* to be building the greatest OL since the ‘01 team, and simply saying an Alabama transfer is an upgrade but not an Outland Award lock means you get greased and kicked out the door.

Advertisement
Regarding that last sentence it never has worked that way. Having a good season or two doesn't guarantee recruiting success. At best they'd creep up around the 15th best hs recruiting class. It's not about records but it is about relationships.
Michigan is a good example of your statement

Advertisement
Back