Transfer Portal watch

Think Lance is spot-on in his view of DuBose and Thornton.

I think most would agree that they would upgrade a very weak WR room and that at least DuBose would likely emerge as an immediate starter. I also assume most would be thrilled if either came in and had a K.J. Osborn or Charleston Rambo-like impact.

But it’s also important to objectively acknowledge that there’s a world of difference between that level of player and truly elite WR1 difference makers like Chase & Jefferson at LSU or the recent wave of Bama & OSU receivers that end up as first rounders, which has continued to influence the Inniss and Jeudy types to go elsewhere.

Receivers like DuBose and Thornton would certainly be nice pickups, but neither is anywhere near the caliber of a Jameson Williams or Jordan Addison-level portal addition. And they also wouldn’t make up for how non-slot WR recruiting has been going.

Would like to get both, but there’s still a gaping hole at WR1 that can hopefully be filled by a higher-level wideout who has yet to enter the portal.

IMO, no true, surefire WR1 is going to come play for this offense after what we put on the field last year. If we change OC and can sell that dream, maybe. A guy like a Thornton who has the traits and Dubose who has production are the best it’s going to get this year.

C Young, George, X, B Smith, Dubose, and Thornton is enough to get the offense on the right track provided the OL takes a significant step forward.

Advertisement
Who this?

Advertisement
Who this?

Cliff notes ?
2 players that won't have many other suitors.

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Lance, I mean no disrespect to anyone else on the board, but there is a contingent of the fan base who cannot process “good but not great“ information. Mario *has* to be building the greatest OL since the ‘01 team, and simply saying an Alabama transfer is an upgrade but not an Outland Award lock means you get greased and kicked out the door.
Joaquin said exaggerate, and you not doin it

Advertisement
Advertisement
IMO, no true, surefire WR1 is going to come play for this offense after what we put on the field last year. If we change OC and can sell that dream, maybe. A guy like a Thornton who has the traits and Dubose who has production are the best it’s going to get this year.

C Young, George, X, B Smith, Dubose, and Thornton is enough to get the offense on the right track provided the OL takes a significant step forward.
Don’t disagree with your premise; however, Lance is telling us what we need, not what we will get.

Advertisement
Bleh on both. Roberts was a second teamer that dipped in the Spring. Excellent special teamer though.

Arkansas dude rotational guy.

If it’s just depth, fine. But lol if that’s the main space eating DT.

It's funny how quickly people have forgotten how much they struggled the first two Norvell years

And I can't even imagine this board's reaction if Mario had the 20th ranked class in year three
I wonder how many of the people here that are now marveling at the semenholes "strategy" were saying the same thing about Prison Mike's strategy when they got beat by Jacksonville State.

Bleh on both. Roberts was a second teamer that dipped in the Spring. Excellent special teamer though.

Arkansas dude rotational guy.

If it’s just depth, fine. But lol if that’s the main space eating DT.
Roberts started this year but got injured in practice and then re-injured against Illinois. He was a good player and a great st’s player.

No we wouldn’t because we’d see we lost to every team with a winnning record and was down by 21 in most of those games we’d also know we should’ve lost to lsu but got by on luck and we also would know literally every team we beat in the last 5 games was below 500 or 500 now so what’s all this National champ **** y’all are spewing you guys are closet state fans I swear if you wanna kiss fsu *** for this magic carpet ride season do it with their fans save that **** over here

No one is a “closet state fan” whatever that means. We won 7 games last year and the majority of fans on this board was predicting 10+ wins. FSU lacks talent but Norvell has done a good job developing that talent. Outside of Verse, even his portal players were burnouts at their previous schools but he did a good job developing and putting them in position to win. I don’t know about a national title; you still need talented players. However, they should be able win 10+ games again. Even the games they lost it was close despite falling behind.

As for sustainability, how can anyone say it’s not sustainable? This is the first time we experience anything like this. Hiesman winners and All-Americans are hitting the portal. More coaches are saying they prefer to go Portal than high school. This isn’t even like juco transfers. It’s a new strategy of recruiting.

Advertisement
Back