Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
You can acknowledge their portal success and still question the sustainability and ceiling of that model.

1. FSU had a successful year and their HS recruiting did not improve. A class score of 234 is very average and not close to championship caliber. Why would we think it can improve? Dan Mullen went 10-3 and 11-2 and was criticized for not capitalizing on the recruiting trail.

His classes were 277, 273, and 264. Norvell is well below that despite a good season.

2. FSU has been very lucky with the injury bug. Portal players come to start. What happens when they get bit by the injury bug and a few of those players can't play. Now you are relying on players from weak HS classes to step up.

The likely outcome is a 6 to 8 win season. Good luck convincing elite HS kids to sign up to that in year 4 or beyond.

3. We have yet to see a team that is portal heavy and relatively weak in HS recruiting sustain success. There are more examples of one year wonders than the opposite.

No one has won a natty yet going portal heavy. Maybe that changes. But I still don't see elite lineman entering the portal.

If your goal is to win a natty, you have to build like it from the start.

4. Miami has done well in the portal and isn't done. 4 guys, 3 likely starters, two studs. And 1 quality depth piece. Keep in mind Mesidor and Darrell Jackson were added in spring.

Our approach is HS heavy and will likely still be portal heavy this year.

Each year thereafter it will be less and less dependent on the portal.

That is how you sustain success and build towards a shot at the natty.
agree with your premise but the results this year were surprising for FSU. I guess we will see next year, but if they do turn it into more improvement, Norvell may just have found a nice middle ground. In the end it’s about wins and losses and nobody thought they were going to finish the year with a better record than us or UF. In terms of recruiting, their class was mid, not questioning that, but the comparison to Mullen isn’t completely right. Mullen disguised his classes to look better than they were by taking questionable kids to boost those rankings to look way better than they really were. Once again, I agree with your premise and said as much in the spring when a bunch of us were going back and forth about just grabbing QBs in the portal. I said that relying on the portal is risky, but Norvell has surprised here.

You can acknowledge their portal success and still question the sustainability and ceiling of that model.

1. FSU had a successful year and their HS recruiting did not improve. A class score of 234 is very average and not close to championship caliber. Why would we think it can improve? Dan Mullen went 10-3 and 11-2 and was criticized for not capitalizing on the recruiting trail.

His classes were 277, 273, and 264. Norvell is well below that despite a good season.

2. FSU has been very lucky with the injury bug. Portal players come to start. What happens when they get bit by the injury bug and a few of those players can't play. Now you are relying on players from weak HS classes to step up.

The likely outcome is a 6 to 8 win season. Good luck convincing elite HS kids to sign up to that in year 4 or beyond.

3. We have yet to see a team that is portal heavy and relatively weak in HS recruiting sustain success. There are more examples of one year wonders than the opposite.

No one has won a natty yet going portal heavy. Maybe that changes. But I still don't see elite lineman entering the portal.

4. Miami has done well in the portal and isn't done. 4 guys, 3 likely starters, two studs. And 1 quality depth piece. Keep in mind Mesidor and Darrell Jackson were added in spring.

It's funny how quickly people have forgotten how much they struggled the first two Norvell years

And I can't even imagine this board's reaction if Mario had the 20th ranked class in year three

It's funny how quickly people have forgotten how much they struggled the first two Norvell years

And I can't even imagine this board's reaction if Mario had the 20th ranked class in year three
Speaking for myself, I haven't 'forgotten' anything. I just think the categoricals for 'how to' build a program need to be examined.
To your points, Mario's well on his way to matching Norvell's first 2 seasons (dubiously). Especially by retaining the OC (?). And there are at least a few programs whose on-field performance surpasses their annual recruiting rankings (Utah comes to mind).
I'm not here to prop up FSU as much as to dispel a lot of the garbage spewed around here. For example, where was that weak/under-developed FSU OL CIS was joking about last off-season?

Cohen was 2nd team All SEC the best conference...definitely a 1st team ALL ACC candidate in my book...

I'm surprised at the amount of pushback I'm getting on this stance. I've said he's a good player, but I have reviewed his film and this is my conclusion. There's a reason he's coming here and not the NFL draft. I'm guessing feedback he received explicitly said he needs to improve his run blocking on tape and to be consistent for a second year in pass pro.

Advertisement
Seems like we've done quite well for ourselves in the portal so far with the 4 we've got.
Lol can get a big wr to play for us under our current oc ? He sucks donkey **** not a **** wr in the world is going to sign up to play with radio 2.0

Lance is awesome at breaking down film. But what he seems to forget is that Portal OL from Bama is better than any OL that played guard for us last year by a mile. A FREAKING MILE!!!
I'm pretty high on Rivers. I do believe Cohen raises the entire floor of the OL and his pass blocking, in particular, is a monster get for this particular OL. Allows Rivers to kick to RT and the true freshman to earn spots, rather than having to have them both starting as true freshmen. Pairing an experienced Zion Nelson at LT with an experienced Cohen at LG and an experienced C (most likely Clark) will hopefully cure the communication issues that have been pervasive for years on this OL.

Stunts, twists, green dogs, delayed blitzes, looking for work are all areas where I see room for improvement on this OL.

Cohen is a very good player. I've said this several times. You'll just rarely ever see me review a player and come away without some caveats or areas of opportunity for the player. Cohen is among them.

I haven't looked at the All-SEC teams, but I am surprised he made second team. He was regularly rotated with Booker, meaning he was playing 70% of the snaps and towards the end of the year it seemed Booker was actually taking the role. It isn't close between Booker and Cohen on run blocking. Cohen was much better as a pass blocker.

A player only playing 70% of his snaps on the OL should be weighted down when it comes to all-conference awards. Perhaps the SEC just had some down play at G this year overall.

Advertisement
I'm surprised at the amount of pushback I'm getting on this stance. I've said he's a good player, but I have reviewed his film and this is my conclusion. There's a reason he's coming here and not the NFL draft. I'm guessing feedback he received explicitly said he needs to improve his run blocking on tape and to be consistent for a second year in pass pro.
This is CIS all they want to hear is everything is great. Any objectivity will come with expected rejection. Mario in portal has been underwhelming but few want to hear that.

And there it is..you think you have the formula. And I agree with a lot of your points. But will the 'formula' working for 'Bama, UGA, Ohio St. work for Mario? Or better said, can Mario work the formula? History with qb's? Debatable. And as good as this year's class is, goin' lite at qb, wr, dt should be noted.
Now as for FSU, maybe their ceiling is ACC championship game, fringe playoff contender (12 team). Far from a laughingstock, and we're starting down the barrel of 3 L's in a row. Last year guys like you were telling everyone they sucked. Now, what they're doing isn't sustainable. Ok, 'cuz YOU say so. And you have the formula. Fact is, portal and NIL are new frontiers. No one knows for certain; and that's my issue with the conventional wisdom of the board. Most feel we have the formula and they don't. Fact is, Norvell's seeing positive results and killin' it in the portal while Cristobal's first campaign was an unmitigated disaster and there are legitimate staffing issues, terrific class notwithstanding. Beyond that is speculative and presumptive thinking based on perceived likelihoods.

Advertisement
This is CIS all they want to hear is everything is great. Any objectivity will come with expected rejection. Mario in portal has been underwhelming but few want to hear that.
Shoot I didn't realize the Portal closed already.

Mark Wahlberg No GIF by Daddy's Home

Mario is an elite recruiter. If we ever get to a spot where he is recruiting in the 20’s he likely needs to be fired because he doesn’t coach well enough to justify $8M a year for his game day acumen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back