Transfer Portal watch

Lance just walked in here and said our OL portal acquisition should not be overhyped and the two WRs targets are not WR1s. Mario is working hard, the new question I have is, Is he working with an outdated model like he does on offense? The answer could be **** no, or it could be he doesn’t hit the portal hard enough…

I am hoping he’s adapting and we turn this around quickly because most other places are showing it on the field faster with first year squads.

But right now we are:
- last portal
- last signing day (late start)
- this ESD
- this early portal

Without a WR1

and needs to fill in a gutted secondary and DL losses, a broken QB room, no WR room and an injured or unknown RB room…
Qb room will be fine with a bettter offensive line. Running back room same thing and wr will be fine.I believe we’ll get Thornton and we already have George and strepo along with young we will have another big dog join us soon I have faith in Mario he’s proven he’s about talent acquisition.We are going to make changes to the staff and fix multiple issues soon it’s Jan 2nd maybe some of these people who are coming in aren’t done with their job yet.

Cohen is more than solid he’s actually very good I watched him hold his own in multiple games and we have rivers and cooper who will do more then enough to help fix our line. Defensive tackle isn’t bad we can get some more bodies in it’ll be more transfers soon hunte and taylor are very good pieces and if they left would be top ten portal players easily.

You’re down on us for good reason but let’s not act like it can’t be fixed. Safety and corner portal acquisitions are coming as well i believe the issue there is more about knowing they won’t be coming into start so that’s more of the problem convincing a kid to come play 3rd safety role or 4th right now when they’re transferring usually to start.

Advertisement
You need both sources but I'd say the Portal these days. Especially when, like us, its imperative we don't have another season this Fall like 2022 turned out. That would be disastrous.
And we did do both.

Can you list the guys we got through the portal this cycle and then add in a top 5 class.

Then compare what Magic Mike has done.

It's easy to see what will work long-term and what won't.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Slight difference is, you know who is in the pool already as far as hs recruiting. Portal recruiting is more unknown and assuming the options will increase

Yes, I'm skeptical too to a degree with how this portal class finishes. We have 4 in right now (a good 4) but I was expecting a much larger/deeper class considering our departures.

Advertisement
Lance just walked in here and said our OL portal acquisition should not be overhyped and the two WRs targets are not WR1s. Mario is working hard, the new question I have is, Is he working with an outdated model like he does on offense? The answer could be **** no, or it could be he doesn’t hit the portal hard enough…

I am hoping he’s adapting and we turn this around quickly because most other places are showing it on the field faster with first year squads.

But right now we are:
- last portal
- last signing day (late start)
- this ESD
- this early portal

Without a WR1

and needs to fill in a gutted secondary and DL losses, a broken QB room, no WR room and an injured or unknown RB room…
Lance is awesome at breaking down film. But what he seems to forget is that Portal OL from Bama is better than any OL that played guard for us last year by a mile. A FREAKING MILE!!!

Lance is awesome at breaking down film. But what he seems to forget is that Portal OL from Bama is better than any OL that played guard for us last year by a mile. A FREAKING MILE!!!

We had 5 wins. Mostly blamed on the players. Glad we improved. Back to work.

They had 5 wins last year…

@canecrazy23 since you didn’t like the response let me add these:

Not sure what they mean…maybe you can review and show us where TCU is wayyyy ahead…

@canecrazy23 since you didn’t like the response let me add these:

Not sure what they mean…maybe you can review and show us where TCU is wayyyy ahead…
I applaud you for coming with facts.

I guess what I saw on TV TCU did against Michigan looked miles ahead of what I saw FSU do against a terrible OU team.

I'll crawl back into my hole now.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure we have Alonzo and the Michigan state guy. Like people have said we have done good so far. But I also think if we don't get atleast one starter at Dt, or Wr in the next couple weeks before spring starts it was a bust. As it stands right now looks like spring is going to look worse then it did last year. Which will lead to more fans checking out and recruits saying no thanks.
With the same coaches in place, hard to see why we'd think we'll be improved this coming Fall. The consequences of yet another season like the 2022 campaign are pretty dire. Where's the urgency from Mario? I'm not seeing it.

and Mario's eating Norvel's lunch in recruiting.

Try to guess what's more sustainable.
Well we know who is butt hurt about Mario dominating Norvell in recruiting LOL

BF698C0C-A3F6-4DE3-9BB4-DD0B31538527.png

Advertisement
FSU's doing a helluva job in the portal..again. Last year 'conventional wisdom' was that they sucked. Now 'conventional wisdom' is that what they're doing isn't sustainable. Goal post moving? Appears to me that Norvell is enjoying success, and re-building the brand. With limited resources.
What if re-building the brand makes FSU more attractive to HS recruits?
Sincerely think we need to throw out this idea of there being a particular formula for success - as in Mario has it and FSU doesn't. NIL and the portal are relatively new frontiers. Just 'what if' Mario recruits great (evident) but gets poached while building with youth (losing)?
I really hope this isn't the case, but strongly feel a lot of the 'conventional wisdom' perpetuated around here should be up for review.
You can acknowledge their portal success and still question the sustainability and ceiling of that model.

1. FSU had a successful year and their HS recruiting did not improve. A class score of 234 is very average and not close to championship caliber. Why would we think it can improve? Dan Mullen went 10-3 and 11-2 and was criticized for not capitalizing on the recruiting trail.

His classes were 277, 273, and 264. Norvell is well below that despite a good season.

2. FSU has been very lucky with the injury bug. Portal players come to start. What happens when they get bit by the injury bug and a few of those players can't play. Now you are relying on players from weak HS classes to step up.

The likely outcome is a 6 to 8 win season. Good luck convincing elite HS kids to sign up to that in year 4 or beyond.

3. We have yet to see a team that is portal heavy and relatively weak in HS recruiting sustain success. There are more examples of one year wonders than the opposite.

No one has won a natty yet going portal heavy. Maybe that changes. But I still don't see elite lineman entering the portal.

If your goal is to win a natty, you have to build like it from the start.

4. Miami has done well in the portal and isn't done. 4 guys, 3 likely starters, two studs. And 1 quality depth piece. Keep in mind Mesidor and Darrell Jackson were added in spring.

Our approach is HS heavy and will likely still be portal heavy this year.

Each year thereafter it will be less and less dependent on the portal.

That is how you sustain success and build towards a shot at the natty.

Advertisement
Back