Transfer Portal watch

We've gotten the top olineman, 2nd best LB, and 8th best DB in the portal and we are far from done. I'd say we let it all play out. We have done well. It's TBD whether we fill all our needs, but we haven't exactly struck out in the portal, and it is clear we want upgrrades in talent there, and not stop-gaps.
He had absolutely nothing to do the LB, that was a gift.

Advertisement
I have seen several posters lamenting the Portal performance, but I believe Miami has done a great job outside of WR thus far.

In his thread I said it, but the staff truly loves Mauioga. They believe he was the best LB in the portal and if his name was Mike Smith they would’ve pursued just as highly. He fills a huge area of need with a proven, high-level player. I don’t watch a lot of Wash State games so I wasn’t familiar, but his movement skills pop on film. Think he could read keys a bit better in the run game, but he’s far better than what we had. Any time you can take a position of weakness and turn it into at least playable, you’re raising the floor for that entire side of the ball.

Devonte Brown didn’t have his best year this year due to nagging injuries, which is why he’s at Miami and not going to NFL. He’s a quick twitch guy who is at least a playable ACC starter. If he returns to 2021 form, he’s more than that.

Gore is a player that coaches love. He’s so strong, understands leverage, and finds the ball. On top of that, his motor is unmatched. That’s the trait you’re seeing with these transfers is their motor, effort, character are top notch.

Cohen, to me, is probably getting overhyped a little bit. He was going to lose his job to Tyler Booker next year, but is an absolutely top-shelf pass blocker at LB. That seems to be something this offense can use. He won’t run block well, but he’s a solid starter for the best program in the land.

You have to finish your portal year with at least one starting caliber WR and a playable NT, but where we are at in the cycle, I think Miami has done a top-notch job in the portal.

I have seen several posters lamenting the Portal performance, but I believe Miami has done a great job outside of WR thus far.

In his thread I said it, but the staff truly loves Mauioga. They believe he was the best LB in the portal and if his name was Mike Smith they would’ve pursued just as highly. He fills a huge area of need with a proven, high-level player. I don’t watch a lot of Wash State games so I wasn’t familiar, but his movement skills pop on film. Think he could read keys a bit better in the run game, but he’s far better than what we had. Any time you can take a position of weakness and turn it into at least playable, you’re raising the floor for that entire side of the ball.

Devonte Brown didn’t have his best year this year due to nagging injuries, which is why he’s at Miami and not going to NFL. He’s a quick twitch guy who is at least a playable ACC starter. If he returns to 2021 form, he’s more than that.

Gore is a player that coaches love. He’s so strong, understands leverage, and finds the ball. On top of that, his motor is unmatched. That’s the trait you’re seeing with these transfers is their motor, effort, character are top notch.

Cohen, to me, is probably getting overhyped a little bit. He was going to lose his job to Tyler Booker next year, but is an absolutely top-shelf pass blocker at LB. That seems to be something this offense can use. He won’t run block well, but he’s a solid starter for the best program in the land.

You have to finish your portal year with at least one starting caliber WR and a playable NT, but where we are at in the cycle, I think Miami has done a top-notch job in the portal.
I really wish you wouldn't bring lucid, objective insights like this to the thread. Most of the porsters here are trying to convince me that Mario is horrendous at portal recruiter and this doesn't seem to align with that agenda.

I think some really believe that 35 All Americans are going to pop into the portal.

The portal is for filling holes, creating quality depth and hoping a few take that next step with a change of scenery or a few changes and become the stars some thought they were going to be coming out of high school or the flashes they showed early in their career

Advertisement
This is the first coherent explanation I've seen why he had a down/inconsistent year last year. Now the seemingly contradictory feedback I've seen makes sense.

I hear the critique. But a multi-year starter losing your job to another talented blue chip kid is what separates the rich from the poor.

Advertisement

I’ll disagree with one WR. IMO we need two. It needs to be guys who can take the top of defenses. Our lack of playmaking on the outside was glaring. TE also needs help. I like Arroyo and Skinner but neither have proven they can consistently be the GUY. Part of that is lack of opportunities. A lot of this is void if Gattis is back anyway

I think Gore will be decent but we are major need at DT. Not just a body but a guy who will make a diff. You can have all the motor you want but it won’t matter if the skillset is limited.

I agree with everything you said except how Yu kno he was gonna lose his job to Tyler booker?

I would agree with most of your assessment. However, I would still grade at C+ currently. As you said we need a WR and run stuffing NT. Have not heard anything else on Thornton and we lost one DT to Michigan St. Don’t count the Memphis lineman to UF because he never visited. Mauigoa looks serviceable which will most likely be an upgrade over Flagg. I’m in the same boat in regards to Cohen. Hopefully he’ll be an upgrade over Campbell. Another Offensive tackle would not be a bad idea as well though.

Lance, have you had a chance to watch any film on the two wideouts Dubose or Thornton ?

Advertisement
I would agree with most of your assessment. However, I would still grade at C+ currently. As you said we need a WR and run stuffing NT. Have not heard anything else on Thornton and we lost one DT to Michigan St. Don’t count the Memphis lineman to UF because he never visited. Mauigoa looks serviceable which will most likely be an upgrade over Flagg. I’m in the same boat in regards to Cohen. Hopefully he’ll be an upgrade over Campbell. Another Offensive tackle would not be a bad idea as well though.
My concern right now is definitely DT. Those are hard to find and we have no traction anywhere we know of right now. Maugoia is a major athletic upgrade to Flagg so good get. Cohen should be a serviceable starter and a good upgrade compared to Campbell who was a turnstile with bad feet. And yes, it would be real nice if Thornton could pop already and get the WR ball rolling.

My concern right now is definitely DT. Those are hard to find and we have no traction anywhere we know of right now. Maugoia is a major athletic upgrade to Flagg so good get. Cohen should be a serviceable starter and a good upgrade compared to Campbell who was a turnstile with bad feet. And yes, it would be real nice if Thornton could pop already and get the WR ball rolling.
We need bodies at DT. Losing Jackson was so bad. Even if he stays we needed help at DT but that loss put us behind the 8 ball. Even Jordan Miller who was a JAG still gave us some snaps a game. If Jackson stays, nobody cares about Miller but now…

The amount of portals players that played in the conference championships games showed that not all portal players suck…

Flip the roster!

Advertisement
We need bodies at DT. Losing Jackson was so bad. Even if he stays we needed help at DT but that loss put us behind the 8 ball. Even Jordan Miller who was a JAG still gave us some snaps a game. If Jackson stays, nobody cares about Miller but now…
It’s a tough spot to be in. We more than likely can’t totally fix it this year. But we should be able to grab a depth piece and another above average kid. Thankfully the 2024 class looks strong nationally at DT.

Bama has to replace both starting guards and a tackle....if he woulda lost his starting job it's not because of talent....Booker could be a future top 10 pick.....Cohen is still a highly rated OL on mock drafts....started two seasons without giving up hardly any sacks.....had to be a decent SEC run blocker to start for Sabin ...I don't think he's overrated at all...bringing in a ( two year) Bama starting OL to the ACC on our OL is true blessing...instant upgrade performance-wise , attitude etc..

Advertisement
Back