Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ever kid is different but you have to try really hard to not pass classes with all the academic help you get from a power 5 school.
Players didn’t have to go to class at LSU during the Orgeron era, they were there to play Football & that’s it.

Arik Gilbert, the former 5-star TE who was at LSU & transferred to UF & then UGA this offseason had the same issues at LSU, his academics were really bad too & he essentially had to sit out for a year before he decided to transfer.

Players didn’t have to go to class at LSU during the Orgeron era, they were there to play Football & that’s it.

Arik Gilbert, the former 5-star TE who was at LSU & transferred to UF & then UGA this offseason had the same issues at LSU, his academics were really bad too & he essentially had to sit out for a year before he decided to transfer.
I can absolutely believe this. Orgeron comes across very intimidating especially to some nerdy college professor who is trying to just do their job and get kids educated. I can imagine Orgeron visiting some professors and "kindly" letting them know that failing any of his players (especially star players) is not an option if they want to keep all their teeth intact.

Wow man. LSU is a super easy school to get good grades, let alone pass. That’s insane!
If you're a scholarship football player at any major university, you have to almost try to fail. Most places bend over backwards to keep guys eligible. Now does that mean the school cares about what degree the player gets or if he gets one at all? Not really. They just want to make sure he can play football for four years.

Advertisement
I can absolutely believe this. Orgeron comes across very intimidating especially to some nerdy college professor who is trying to just do their job and get kids educated. I can imagine Orgeron visiting some professors and "kindly" letting them know that failing any of his players (especially star players) is not an option if they want to keep all their teeth intact.
It isn't just Orgeron. It is the entire culture at LSU. They had a booster pilfer money from a children's hospital to give to a recruit without any form of disapproval or outrage and had multiple kids commit sexual assault and swept it under the rug. Kids going to class is nothing compared to everything else there. Oh, and it's on Mark Emmert's resume.

If you're a scholarship football player at any major university, you have to almost try to fail. Most places bend over backwards to keep guys eligible. Now does that mean the school cares about what degree the player gets or if he gets one at all? Not really. They just want to make sure he can play football for four years.

Not only that, most of the classes you take in your first couple of years are the easier ones. It's not like this kid had 30 AP credits and started out as an academic sophomore...

Not only that, most of the classes you take in your first couple of years are the easier ones. It's not like this kid had 30 AP credits and started out as an academic sophomore...
And most of those gen-Ed courses are scheduled for the players by the athletic department. Or at least they were at UCF. I knew if I walked into a US History 1101 or Composition class and there was a bunch of football players there, it wasn’t going to be a struggle.

You have to be a complete idiot/lazy type of individual to not be eligible to play college sports

First you get the first pick of classes and professors as a student athlete

Second you get unlimited resources of study hall and tutors to help you out

#trumpycanethoughts

Advertisement
100-level classes are definitely easier, but also more likely to be attendance based.

You have to be a complete idiot/lazy type of individual to not be eligible to play college sports

First you get the first pick of classes and professors as a student athlete

Second you get unlimited resources of study hall and tutors to help you out

#trumpycanethoughts
Third you have like 100 hours of practice, weightlifting, film work and while the rest of the students are fully asleep or picking boogers you have already done more strenuous work than they have done in a month in 2 days.

Me being a former student athlete...the life of a regular college student is severly different. So i can see how it can happen. I remember having a roommate that stopped playing football and having to wake up at 430-5am to go lift weights in like 30 degree weather in winter conditioning while this dude was sleeping comfortable or spoonign with a chic was INFURIATING to me lol.

Its a full time job and not everyone is built for it, especially if your already not sharp or focused.

Third you have like 100 hours of practice, weightlifting, film work and while the rest of the students are fully asleep or picking boogers you have already done more strenuous work than they have done in a month in 2 days.

Me being a former student athlete...the life of a regular college student is severly different. So i can see how it can happen. I remember having a roommate that stopped playing football and having to wake up at 430-5am to go lift weights in like 30 degree weather in winter conditioning while this dude was sleeping comfortable or spoonign with a chic was INFURIATING to me lol.

Its a full time job and not everyone is built for it, especially if your already not sharp or focused.

My friend, TrumpyCane was also a student athlete in college and knows how it is.

Notice TrumpyCane said “just to play/be eligible

You need a 2.00 to do that

Advertisement
And most of those gen-Ed courses are scheduled for the players by the athletic department. Or at least they were at UCF. I knew if I walked into a US History 1101 or Composition class and there was a bunch of football players there, it wasn’t going to be a struggle.

I was a tutor for the UM Athletic Department back in the 80s/90s when Dr. Anna Price was there. She would meet with every UM athlete individually and set up how many classes they would take (12 credits min up to 18 credits max), which courses they needed to take, and how many additional hours of work they were going to need each week (could be a combo of group study halls, which I often monitored, or individual tutoring). The athletes also got to register early so that they could get time slots that harmonized with practice times (when I first started at UM, we had to use computer punch-cards to register, it wasn't all done on a computer screen).

One advantage for UM was that we did not have nearly as many colleges/schools and majors as the public schools. Almost all of the football players were either in the School of Business or the School of Communications (Chud being in the College of Engineering was a rare exception). As a result, a lot of guys were in the same classes together (for instance, in one of my Finance classes, I was in a project group with both Craig Erickson and George Michael).

All 100% true.

Can't speak for every school, but at UM, if the athletes put in the effort, made it to classes, got tutors, and did their projects, it was very hard to NOT get a decent grade.

That's all. The student-athletes had a heavy load, but the UM professors weren't head-hunting for them in classes either. Make the effort and everything tended to work itself out. Starting with JJ, the Academic Support department monitored attendance (even if the professors did not). Dr. Price would send some of us in to poke our heads into classes to verify attendance of certain guys. Not saying it was the whole team, it was probably very targeted (yeah, I'm thinking about a certain freshman who went on to become a wrassler), but it was done. That's how JJ was able to improve upon Schnelly's sub-par academic progress/eligibility with the team.

Oh, and for the record, not every "violation of team rules" suspension back then involved weed or alcohol. Some of those 1-gamers were for guys skipping classes and/or study halls.

People definitely live there, at least true during 1970s as they had an Optimist football team. Not sure who they played because I played Hialeah Optimist and never encountered that team.
Bro. Medley had an Optimist Team?!?! My granddad worked for FEC and all I remember is the train yard and their BS police force that always tried to catch you speeding...

Advertisement
Back