Transfer Portal watch

So after the dust settles and we have kids leave what is the max we can take in the portal, 7?

Advertisement
Advertisement
We'll probably lose around 7-8 to the portal and I think we'll take around the same number (OL, front 7, maybe a CB/WR).
I think we're already known to have lost: pope, wiggins, jennings, gurvan, herbert, holley, q williams, and hearing good chance of TAC & brooks with even more as possibilities so I'd imagine we can bring in a good 10-12 portal kids.

I think we're already known to have lost: pope, wiggins, jennings, gurvan, herbert, holley, q williams, and hearing good chance of TAC & brooks with even more as possibilities so I'd imagine we can bring in a good 10-12 portal kids.
The cap is 7 players can be replaced. Our biggest benefit would be if some the seniors who could return for their extra covid year (blades, Ivey, Nesta for example), to leave. Because we won’t be able to add 7 players if some return and keep us at the 85 capped scholarships. That’s the trick to it, the NCAA wants teams to figure out a way to get back to the 85 after not counting a year due to Covid. That’s another reason why the portal will have so much going on this year, because teams like Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc will have to push out a few quality players that might have a few years left for recruits, because you gotta stack chips and stick to the 85.

Advertisement

Balom, Hillery, Redding, Worsham and maybe one or 2 others are possibilities from what I hear.

I don't think a WR1 is needed like that just mainly a reliable veteran to lead the group but that's just me I love the upside of some of our guys

Yeah, I agree. Would love to see someone like 5 step up to take the WR1 spot but not sure he's that guy at the moment.

Yeah, I agree. Would love to see someone like 5 step up to take the WR1 spot but not sure he's that guy at the moment.
this 5 at x and 0 at z or 15 whoever steps up and then we got 7/12 in the slot i feel good at WR 23 class we gotta land either or 5 star

Advertisement
Balom, Hillery, Redding, Worsham and maybe one or 2 others are possibilities from what I hear.
No clue why Balom would leave as he'd be 2nd team safety right now and both Hillery & Worsham I'd expect to leave but Redding would be another head scratcher as he has a chance to compete for a starting spot next year.

No clue why Balom would leave as he'd be 2nd team safety right now and both Hillery & Worsham I'd expect to leave but Redding would be another head scratcher as he has a chance to compete for a starting spot next year.
Completely agree especially with Balom because of the versatility of both Williams and Kam he should play alot next season

Not a popular take but Jalen Burger is in the portal too. He was a freshman stud for Wisconsin at RB and would be the 5th guy in the locker room. Really talented kid worth the take. Would make the RB room the most talented room on the team.

I would not take Berger. He was salty about the Chez Mellusi (Clemson) transfer and losing RB1 during camp, then started missing meetings and breaking team rules before getting COVID. Turns out Freshman Braelon Allen is the best RB in the room and he's gone for over 100 in 5 straight starts. Maybe its just the way kids are these days but I don't like leaving the team mid season when an injury is all it takes to be back on the field.

But back to Braelon Allen because this kid is a monster. A nationals level wrestler in HS. Early in his career was 4* S in class of 2022. Eventually grew to about 6'3" 240 of grown man and moved to LB / RB recruit and reclassified to 2021. Kid is 17 years old! Watch this film as a sophomore and he is already the meanest and nastiest player on the field

Jim Leonhard has got to be so jealous this kid is with the offense because he'd be a problem as an OLB in their scheme.

Advertisement
Completely agree especially with Balom because of the versatility of both Williams and Kam he should play alot next season
He will be in the mix because I can’t see how the starting safeties won’t be Avante and Kitchen’s with Williams as the Striker. People are attacking James about open field tackling which i won’t do because i’ve seen him do it and he’s a true freshman but he would still be able to drop into coverage as a striker but also would be able to use his size and ability to also Attack. My opinion so Balom is a needed player

Dabo with his usual salty comments:

Tchio, who was listed as co-starting left guard alongside freshman Marcus Tate, played 42 snaps at N.C. State as a first-time starter, but only played six the following week vs. Boston College; one snap vs. Florida State; and zero vs. Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville.

Swinney was asked if it was lack of playing time that led to Tchio's transfer decision.

"I guess. Different opportunity," Swinney said. "That's what we've got in college football. Go somewhere else in January. It is what it is. Keep moving."
"Nothing catches me off-guard in 2021," Swinney said. "Nothing surprises me. Absolutely nothing. Absolutely zero. It's just the world we're in."

It is a bit of a head-scratcher why Tchio, a former four-star, couldn't develop or earn the trust of the staff any better or quicker than he did, especially because Tate has struggled at times. Swinney and Tony Elliott both said last week that Tchio is talented, but his practice habits and attention to detail needed to be better. He entered the game for one snap vs. Florida State and lost his rep on the draw.

If you don't practice correctly, you're not going to play.

Mayes, a former four-star, can't get on the field either. But that seemingly has more to do with talent/development. You hope that changes next year.

this. +1,000,000

Advertisement
Back