Transfer Portal watch

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

We fr gonna sit back and not get involved.

We don’t have a LB’s coach or a DC...

And Texas has about 3 coaches on staff that were at Bama when Shane Lee first signed with them.

Plus, the theme of this year’s Portal Free agency for Miami has been “The return home for former cane recruits who didn’t wanna come to Miami but now do..”.

So unfortunately, we’re not gonna be going after too many non South FL kids in the Portal.

We couldn’t get DJ James & we didn’t get Antwane Wells down for a visit fast enough.

We’ve had the UAB kid Moultrie visit & the other South FL prospects we landed like Lichtenstein, Ladson & Parrish.

As far as CB is concerned, we’ll probably either have to be stuck with Brini or just hope & wait for Marshall to allegedly enter the portal, but otherwise that will be a waiting game as well.

And Texas has about 3 coaches on staff that were at Bama when Shane Lee first signed with them.

Plus, the theme of this year’s Portal Free agency for Miami has been “The return home for former cane recruits who didn’t wanna come to Miami but now do..”.

So unfortunately, we’re not gonna be going after too many non South FL kids in the Portal.

We couldn’t get DJ James & we didn’t get Antwane Wells down for a visit fast enough.

We’ve had the UAB kid Moultrie visit & the other South FL prospects we landed like Lichtenstein, Ladson & Parrish.

As far as CB is concerned, we’ll probably either have to be stuck with Brini or just hope & wait for Marshall to allegedly enter the portal, but otherwise that will be a waiting game as well.
At some point, you'd think hiring coordinators and position coaches would uh, help our chances in the Transfer Portal...what's more maddening, however, is that it appears as if we're not even remotely interested in half of these guys. Guys that are not just starter-caliber, but would entirely transform our defense.

In Mario we trust, absolutely...but this entire approach is starting to confuse the **** out of me.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking the whole not having a DC or LB coach. I just know LB is definitely a position of need. Bama just put two guys in the portal that would instantly help our room out I just wanted one but looks like I won’t be getting what I wish for. As for CB I’m not as worried cause I’m sure their will be more CB’s that can help out that will hit the portal between now and after spring. Stevenson staying also relaxes me. Most worried bout DE and LB

Advertisement

thats Moody are they after Lee too?

At some point, you'd think hiring coordinators and position coaches would uh, help our chances in the Transfer Portal...what's more maddening, however, is that it appears as if we're not even remotely interested in half of these guys. Guys that are not just starter-caliber, but would entirely transform our defense.

In Mario we trust, absolutely...but this entire approach is starting to confuse the **** out of me.
I don’t mind not jumping at every Portal player out there if you believe strongly in your ability to develop & rely on HS recruited talented...

But here’s the problem, our roster has a lot of holes in it & our current recruiting class will be as small as it’s been in years, so there’s a clear & definite need to add Portal players who can be plug & play components to compete for the season.

There’s nothing wrong with being prudent, but there comes a point of diminishing return where it’s actually hustling backwards not hitting the Portal harder.

The teams who have absolutely dominated the Portal thus far, Bama, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Mich ST. There’s others, but the point is, it’s not just teams that are dumpster diving for depth, it’s teams who are already established as winners & making themselves even better, which is exactly what you’re supposed to do with the Portal.

Also, the “everybody’s returning home” narrative isn’t entirely true either, a lot of kids are going back home, but just as many aren’t.

- Eli Ricks (LSU transfer) from LA (CA) is retuning home to Bama
- Jahmyr Gibbs (GTech transfer) from GA is returning home to Bama
- Zach Evans (TCU transfer) from Houston TX is returning home to Ole Miss
- Mario Williams (Oklahoma transfer)from Tampa FL is returning home to USC
- Drew Sanders (Bama transfer) from TX is returning home to Arkansas
- Dwight McGlothern (LSU transfer) from TX is returning home to Arkansas
- Jared Verse (Albany transfer) from PA is returning home to FSU
- Mekhi Wingo (Mizzou transfer) from STL MO is returning home to LSU
- Brandon Joseph (Northwestern transfer) from TX is returning home to Notre Dame
- Jahleel Billingsley (Bama transfer) from Chicago IL is returning home to Texas
- Dillion Gabriel (UCF transfer) from Hawaii is returning home to Oklahoma
- Cameron Ward (UIW transfer) from TX is returning home to Washington ST
- Jadon Haselwood (Oklahoma transfer) from GA is returning home to Arkansas
- Miles Frazier (FIU transfer) from Camden NJ is returning home to LSU
- Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma transfer) from Phoenix AZ is returning home to South Carolina
- Victor Oluwatimi (UVA transfer) from Maryland is returning home to Michigan
- Kedon Slovis (USC transfer) from Arizona is returning home to Pittsburgh
- Branden Jennings (Maryland transfer) from Jacksonville FL is returning home to Kansas ST
- Ladarius Tennison (Auburn transfer) from FL is returning home to Ole Miss
- Jalen Kimber (UGA transfer) from Arlington TX is returning home to UF

There’s several dozen more I could list, but the point is, not every prospect in the Portal is just homesick.

Some have relationships with the coaches on the new teams they’re going to & some were just recruited well to their new destination.

It would behoove Miami to capitalize the opportunity in front of us to sure up the roster & get in on some this good eating eventually, unless we’re following the Clemson model, then nevermind lol.

Advertisement
these are the top 10 schools in 247's portal rankings

1. LSU
2. Ole Miss
3. USC
4. FSU
5. Oklahoma
6. South Carolina
7. Texas
8. UF
9. Arkansas
10. Arizona

the majority of these schools have coaches who are relatively new and have pretty intense pressure to win immediately: LSU, FSU, South Carolina, Texas, UF, Arizona. USC is a special case where OU kids are following Riley, they also had their WR room hollowed out by the draft and portal and he's clearly filling spots there. at Oklahoma I don't think Venables is feeling much pressure but he's also having his roster raided by Riley. Ole Miss and Arkansas look like the only two, to me, where the coaches have job security and are just picking kids out of the portal that they want, and even in those two cases you clearly see them benefiting from SEC kids wanting to stay in the SEC and going to schools that are mid-tier/decent/respectable but also need talent and have playing time.

in our case, Mario has way more job security than Brian Kelly, Mike Norvell, Shane Beamer, Steve Sarkisian, Billy Napier etc. he basically has infinite job security at Miami, which I'm sure he knows. you would be hard pressed to find an incoming coach in recent history who has more job security in year one than Cristobal has right now. it seems obvious to me that he's not that interested in filling the roster with portal kids in order to plug holes for next season and is focusing his efforts on the 2023 recruiting class. talented local kids who want to come home and basically fall into his lap he obviously seems willing to take. maybe we go 7-5 next year and the recruiting class suffers and his strategy backfires, it's not out of the question. but I do think it's clear where his priorities lie and how his job security is driving that.

Advertisement
Back