Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

No.

It.

Does.

Not.

If you lose Wilson, Huell and Gak before November is over it doesn't matter if you have 13 scholarship players. Your season is over.

Seriously? We once had Burnett and Palmer as sophomores not making our 8 or 9 man rotation. Had Palmer and Burnett been our 9th and 10th man going into this year we would have easily made the tourney once those 3 went down.

Advertisement
I'm more concerned with having a mix (by position) of 7-8 who have ACC-level skills. You don't really need more than that, except for unforeseen dismissals (which shouldn't happen), or injury/illness.

Look no further than UVA, who just won the whole freakin' tournament. They played, count 'em, 8 guys -- Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Diakite, Clark, Key, Salt, and Huff. Salt, Huff and Key minutes were greatly reduced in the Tourney. So ... basically 5 guys were doing the heavy lifting for the team that won it all. And, Clark was still raw (and basically no offensive threat at all), even at the end. The core of Guy, Jerome, Diakite and Hunter were good enough!

Go look at how many teams run a 7-8 guy rotation in conference play. It's **** near everyone. You need the additional bodies for non conference, and in case of injury. Few college teams are running 10 deep throughout the season. That said, Miami had at best 4 guys that were ACC quality, and a bunch of mediocre filler. On a typical, L Miami squad, Sam W and Mack wouldn't have seen the floor once conference play started. Herenton was a glorified walk on. That's how bad Miami's depth was.

Spectrum boy says he wants 13 scholarship players in almost every post.

I thought it was the "sprectrum".

Let's try the post again, because there was a clear difference.

Who said “13 eligible scholarship players”?

We’re talking about using all 13 scholarships. There is a difference.

Do you see the obvious difference? How many handles have you created?

Some questions:

1. What does this part above mean?

Quality minutes as a rotation guy. i.e. a scoring threat down low and a defensive presence.

2. Would you agree that Gak, in the first game he played this season, showed more than at any point during Miller's tenure?

I never saw Gak play.

3. If the only two potential eligible centers are Miller and Gak, who would you expect to play more MPG? Who would you rather start?

Not terribly confident with either.

4. What are you expecting out of Miller this season? Numbers? Assume the only eligible centers are Miller and Gak.

MPG: 12+
PPG: 5
RPG: 4
BPG: 1.5

I think we will add another big.
------------------------

Side note: As for the underlined part above, I don't know why Coach is concerned with the 2020-21 season as it relates to Miller and depth at C, per se. Essentially, by redshirtting a "healthy" third year player, you're preserving his eligibility for a 5th year (the 2020-21 season). I understand why we need more quality Cs and quality depth but can't that also be done by adding more numbers? We had major issues this past season, if Miller was ever going to get burn, wasn't it going to be last year? I think the concern, before this season, to preserve his eligibility (as it relates to future depth) could have been off-set by bringing in a transfer last year, this year or next year.

Obviously L thinks that Miller can be a contributor for 2 seasons as a result of the RS. He thinks Miller will be more productive in his 5th year than a grad transfer would be.

Obviously L thinks that Miller can be a contributor for 2 seasons as a result of the RS. He thinks Miller will be more productive in his 5th year than a grad transfer would be.

Fair points. I'd take those numbers from Miller in a second given his tenure so far.

Advertisement
I would still rather have and not need than to need and not have. That is why I prefer 13 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons.

In case I never said this, you guys are cool and I am glad I joined. Hopefully, we can get together for game or two at the Watsco Center. Especially if they are playing a team from the state of Florida.

Lucky One, Glad to have you.

In case you hadn't noticed, we're about 100 active posters (or more) short of what a program in a conference like the ACC should have involved on a board like this.

I would still rather have and not need than to need and not have. That is why I prefer 13 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons.

Do you realize how unlikely it is that ANY team like Miami will have 13 legitimate scholarship players? The kind of guy that can get significant minutes anywhere else will not sit at Miami just so L and his staff can max out the number of scholarships issued. Yes, Miami could go out and fill the roster with scholarship holding walk-ons, but that doesn't accomplish anything. A good mix is for a school like Miami to have 8-10 legit ACC level scholarship players, maybe 1-2 guys on redshirt status.

Advertisement

I don't know why this is such a controversy. I don't understand why you wouldn't want 13 scholarship players.

--------------------------------

Let's look at this from a different perspective. Ideally, you have 13 scholarship players.

1. 1/13 is going to be a player we lose before/during the season because they're kicked out of school or choose to transfer. Since Coach L has been here, we average ~1/per year.

- Gilmore, Palmer, Lecomte, Sherman, Daniels, Burnett, J. Kelly, Muhammad and Wilson

[Please note we just lost A. Mack]

2. 1/13 is going to be a player who is ineligible because they're sitting out due to transfer. Since Coach L has been here, we average ~1/per year.

- McGusty, Wilson, Gilmore, Muhammad, Murphy, McClellan and Rodriguez

3. 1/13 is going to be a player who redshirts (maybe a freshman) or an injury. Since Coach L has been here, we average ~1/per year.

- Daniels (RI), Gamble (I) Adams (I), Burnett (I), Gak (R), Miller (R), Gak (I) and Brown (I)

--------------------------------

Does anyone deny the above happened? The stuff above brings your 13 scholarship players to 10 eligible scholarship players. From your 10 eligible scholarship players, you focus on getting it down to a 7-8 man rotation.

Last edited:
Do you realize how unlikely it is that ANY team like Miami will have 13 legitimate scholarship players?

But you can't control what happens to those 13 scholarship players and that is the point. They can be legitimate or scrubs or somewhere in between. Just using our averages, since Coach L has been here, the following has happened:

1. We lose ~1 scholarship/per year because a player is thrown out of school or transfers. Those players are: Gilmore, Palmer, Lecomte, Sherman, Daniels, Burnett, J. Kelly, Muhammad and Wilson [Please note we just lost A. Mack].

2. We lose ~1 scholarship/per year because a player is ineligible (i.e. sitting out via transfer). Those players are: McGusty, Wilson, Gilmore, Muhammad, Murphy, McClellan and Rodriguez

3. We lose ~1 scholarship/per year because a player redshirts or due to an injury. Those players are: Daniels (RI), Gamble (I) Adams (I), Burnett (I), Gak (R), Miller (R), Gak (I) and Brown (I)

Would you say things like this are quite common?

They also have like 4 nba prospects. Our roster doesn’t have 1. Beverly definitely has potential but he hasn’t played a college game yet.

Fundamentally, talent is far more important than numbers. I don't think anybody's arguing otherwise. That said, having numbers maximizes your chance at having talent; 13 lottery tickets as opposed to 9.

Our problem was/is both.

If Coach L is determined to take a regular transfer then this would probably be the best choice for Miami. IMO.

https://247sports.com/college/baske...-Transfer-Kentucky-Arizona-Nevada--131323927/

College interest is pouring in for former McDonald’s All-Americana and five-star recruit Jordan Brown.

"I didn’t think it was going to be like this," Dion Brown, Jordan's, father told 247Sports. "They definitely have been reaching out and more and more are piling on."

Last week the Nevada freshman power forward put his name into the NCAA Transfer Portal. While there’s still a chance he’ll stay in Reno, this allows him to gauge the interest of other college programs, something his father said was going to happen regardless of who the coach was.

“We’ve had Kentucky reach out, Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Baylor, Miami, Pitt, Ohio State, Louisiana-Lafayette, my old college,” the elder Brown said. “St. Mary’s, there’s quite a few people reaching out.”

“Kentucky was there from the beginning, and they’ve been reaching out and Sean Miller from Arizona,” he added. “They are showing a lot of interest.”

After examining the interested parties the next step will be to set up official visits. Brown told 247Sports that they have discussed potential visits with Kentucky and Arizona, but Brown was adamant that there isn’t anything imminent.

“Every day I’m hearing from someone new,” he said. “Something could be happening in the next two or three weeks, there’s just nothing set in stone right now."

“We are still trying to process it all,” he added.

Brown finished his high school career at No. 19 overall in the 247Sports Composite Rankings. As a freshman at Nevada, Brown played just over 10 minutes a game, averaging 3.0 points and 2.1 rebounds.

If he opts to transfer, Brown would sit out next season due to eligibility rules and then have three years to play at his new school.

Advertisement
He's from Deerfield Beach. Averaged 6 and 4 at UF (8 an 4 the year before). Immediately eligible. Tore his ACL in January so not sure of his rehab.

Stone is listed as 6'8, 245 so ... should be able to hold his own inside. But ... has the rep of a guy who, despite his bulk, wants to hang around the perimeter.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back