Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

We went into last year with 11 scholarship players, 1 of them being Anthony Mack a transfer from Wyoming and a very raw Gak. Wong, Beverley and Walker are neither unknown or raw to the extent of Mack or Gak. The Hauser brothers would be worth only having 11 available players this year if you have to sit and wait for them till 2020.

A few things:

1. The underlined part isn't really painting the accurate picture. We started the season with 9 "active" scholarship players. McGusty was ineligible because he was sitting out. Miller was a redshirt. So yes, we used 11 in total but not all 11 were going to play.

2. The bold part isn't really saying much. Sure, almost everyone is more prepared to play at this level than Mack. That isn't saying much. Gak is still massively undersized, again not saying much.

3. The bigger issue is we need players who can contribute immediately. As you saw this past season, we lack ACC eligible talent. Unfortunately we have NO proven big man. Unfortunately we have FEW proven guards. Some of these HS seniors may be able to contribute next year. Maybe McGusty will be ready as well. But none are proven. We need 2-3 more proven players that are eligible.

4. This has nothing to do with the Hauser brothers being great talents. Just more to do with what makes the most sense given our issues. Perhaps if someone was going to leave, that might not be worth the scholarship, then that would be a different story.

Advertisement
A few things:

1. The underlined part isn't really painting the accurate picture. We started the season with 9 "active" scholarship players. McGusty was ineligible because he was sitting out. Miller was a redshirt. So yes, we used 11 in total but not all 11 were going to play.

2. The bold part isn't really saying much. Sure, almost everyone is more prepared to play at this level than Mack. That isn't saying much. Gak is still massively undersized, again not saying much.

3. The bigger issue is we need players who can contribute immediately. As you saw this past season, we lack ACC eligible talent. Unfortunately we have NO proven big man. Unfortunately we have FEW proven guards. Some of these HS seniors may be able to contribute next year. Maybe McGusty will be ready as well. But none are proven. We need 2-3 more proven players that are eligible.

4. This has nothing to do with the Hauser brothers being great talents. Just more to do with what makes the most sense given our issues. Perhaps if someone was going to leave, that might not be worth the scholarship, then that would be a different story.

Have you read any of my previous posts or do you just like starting with people who have the most of the same opinions as you as well.
I've mentioned in all of my previous posts that we need to get 2 high level grad transfers like Juiston and Tucker or something close to that. I even provided a pretty solid rotation with those 2 included.

I'm more concerned with having a mix (by position) of 7-8 who have ACC-level skills. You don't really need more than that, except for unforeseen dismissals (which shouldn't happen), or injury/illness.

Look no further than UVA, who just won the whole freakin' tournament. They played, count 'em, 8 guys -- Guy, Jerome, Hunter, Diakite, Clark, Key, Salt, and Huff. Salt, Huff and Key minutes were greatly reduced in the Tourney. So ... basically 5 guys were doing the heavy lifting for the team that won it all. And, Clark was still raw (and basically no offensive threat at all), even at the end. The core of Guy, Jerome, Diakite and Hunter were good enough!

Last edited:
Have you read any of my previous posts or do you just like starting with people who have the most of the same opinions as you as well.
I've mentioned in all of my previous posts that we need to get 2 high level grad transfers like Juiston and Tucker or something close to that. I even provided a pretty solid rotation with those 2 included.

I am saying we don’t have the liberty of taking the Hauser brothers. You’re saying we do.

We don’t agree but whatever.

Lykes
DJ
Cam
Gak
Miller
Sam
Wong
Walker
Beverly
2 eligible transfers
Another high school dude

Call it a ******* day. Would love to be one of those teams like FSU where they play 10-11 guys.

Advertisement
I am saying we don’t have the liberty of taking the Hauser brothers. You’re saying we do.

We don’t agree but whatever.

How do we not have the luxury of taking the Hauser brothers?

Lykes
DJ
McGusty
Waardenburg
Gak
Miller
Wong
Beverley
Walker
2 High Impact Grad Transfers (Juiston and Tucker or something similar)

That gives us enough depth, experience, bigs, guards, shooting for this team to compete with anyone in the ACC.

What do you want to do with the other 2 Scholarships? In my opinion if you can get the Hauser brothers or a HS senior and another grad transfer you go after the Hausers.

This whole notion of "we need 13 eligible scholarship players at all times or we stand no chance at being successful" is silly. You take the Hauser brothers ANY day over a Joe Thomas type grad transfer or Anthony Mack type eligible transfer.

Advertisement
No disrespect to anyone but the NCAA allows every D-1 institution 13 scholarships for basketball. That allows for a coach redshirt a player for development/injury or accept a transfer who has to sit out a year. It also helps a team remain competitive in the event of an injury or a player is held out due to an NCAA investigation. 13 scholarship players is more of providing depth to allow a team to be as competitive as possible.

Don't confuse playing all 13 guys each game with having 13 guys on the basketball roster. That is two different conversations.
I think that is what is causing the confusion.

No disrespect to anyone but the NCAA allows every D-1 institution 13 scholarships for basketball. That allows for a coach redshirt a player for development/injury or accept a transfer who has to sit out a year. It also helps a team remain competitive in the event of an injury or a player is held out due to an NCAA investigation. 13 scholarship players is more of providing depth to allow a team to be as competitive as possible.

Don't confuse playing all 13 guys each game with having 13 guys on the basketball roster. That is two different conversations.

Exactly.

Advertisement
This whole notion of "we need 13 eligible scholarship players at all times or we stand no chance at being successful" is silly. You take the Hauser brothers ANY day over a Joe Thomas type grad transfer or Anthony Mack type eligible transfer.

Who said “13 eligible scholarship players”?

We’re talking about using all 13 scholarships. There is a difference.

Agreed.

Who is saying “13 eligible scholarship players” besides one poster above?

We’re consistently talking about using all the scholarships.

Advertisement
It also helps a team remain competitive in the event of an injury or a player is held out due to an NCAA investigation.

No.

It.

Does.

Not.

If you lose Wilson, Huell and Gak before November is over it doesn't matter if you have 13 scholarship players. Your season is over.

Advertisement
Back