Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
Game is past you sir. Go watch UVA in the last two games of the tourney. Their “bigs” weren’t bangers either

A few things:

1. UVA has actual big men who play big. They have Diakite and Salt. They really don’t shoot 3s, those two. Combined they average well less than 1 per game. These are big men.

2. This guy Stone isn’t a banger. His game is more like Omar Sherman. He shoots 3s and doesn’t rebound too well. Now he is recovering from a serious injury.

3. How does Stone fit in with UVA? Not at all?

4. UVA has a system and an elite Coach. Other teams do their thing. Duke plays with big men, so does Kentucky. Teams do what is best for them.
We struggle to rebound. We have players at the 4 that can shoot. We have 2 centers that are unproven.

Last year we finished 274th in rebounding.

In 2017-18, we finished 184th.

In 2016-17, we finished 160th.

Kadji was a tremendous athlete who can shoot and rebound. How is this relevant?

Side note: On those Kadji teams we had actual big men too (e.g. Johnson, Gamble and Tonye).
Kadji was a tremendous athlete who can shoot and rebound. How is this relevant?

Side note: On those Kadji teams we had actual big men too (e.g. Johnson, Gamble and Tonye).

Keith Stone is nothing like Kadji, Stone is much more like Waardenburg.

Advertisement
I'm fine with Stone as the 13th scholarship guy, but you'd still need a 5th year Center, and a wing player

C: Grad Transfer, Gak, Miller
F: Waardenburg, Walker, Stone
G/F: McGusty, Enaruna/Other Recruit
G: Beverly, Dejan
G: Lykes, Wong

Game is past you sir. Go watch UVA in the last two games of the tourney. Their “bigs” weren’t bangers either
Admittedly, as the NCAAT progressed, Bennett decided to go with a smaller lineup. Diakite at 6'9, 230, though, was obviously a VERY key member of UVAs four man core (along with Guy, Jerome and Hunter). I'd say he's a "banger," others might not!

For most of the season where they earned their # 1 seed, Jack Salt started. He was definitely a physical Center. He and DIakite anchored the back of UVA's pack line defense. Very good rebounder and rim protector. You could make a case that while improved offensively (without Jack Salt), the UVA defense was not as good. Coaching decision to go smaller that, in this case, panned out.

Advertisement
Admittedly, as the NCAAT progressed, Bennett decided to go with a smaller lineup. Diakite at 6'9, 230, though, was obviously a VERY key member of UVAs four man core (along with Guy, Jerome and Hunter). I'd say he's a "banger," others might not!

For most of the season where they earned their # 1 seed, Jack Salt started. He was definitely a physical Center. He and DIakite anchored the back of UVA's pack line defense.
Very good rebounder and rim protector. You could make a case that while improved offensively (without Jack Salt), the UVA defense was not as good. Coaching decision to go smaller that, in this case, panned out.

Exactly. Both guys are "bangers". They're not 3 point shooters. In 2019 (so from January 1st until the end of the season), the two combined for Two 3PTs.

We have 4 scholarships to use. Using 1 of those slots on Stone is perfectly acceptable given he's a grad transfer and doesn't affect numbers for 2020-2021. If we are using the Diakite comparison, Stone's 2017-2018 numbers are actually better than Diakite's this past year save for FG % and blocks. He's also about 25 lbs heavier. Not saying he'll have the same impact, but if you can get 8 and 5 per game from him consistently, it's a perfectly fine flier to take.

We have 4 scholarships to use. Using 1 of those slots on Stone is perfectly acceptable given he's a grad transfer and doesn't affect numbers for 2020-2021. If we are using the Diakite comparison, Stone's 2017-2018 numbers are actually better than Diakite's this past year save for FG % and blocks. He's also about 25 lbs heavier. Not saying he'll have the same impact, but if you can get 8 and 5 per game from him consistently, it's a perfectly fine flier to take.

Eh, would be fine with taking him further down the line but right now there are 10-15 grad transfers who play the 3/4/5 positions who are better than him and aren’t essentially the same player as waardenburg.

Advertisement

You brought up the comparison of two players with different games. They’re not similar and one isn’t coming off a significant ACL injury in 2019.

We can always add in filler down the line. We don’t have to be desperate today.

If the options were Stone or no one, then of course take Stone. But those aren’t the options. His production before the injury was okay but who knows how his rehab is going? Who knows when he will be ready and in what form?

Eh, would be fine with taking him further down the line but right now there are 10-15 grad transfers who play the 3/4/5 positions who are better than him and aren’t essentially the same player as waardenburg.

Exactly. Plus the kid tore his ACL in January.

I understand that there are quite a few grad transfers out there but, realistically, how interested are they in coming to play at Miami. I'd agree with the points above if we only had 1 or 2 spots to use, but with 4 spots at our disposal, I'm not sure if it's prudent to turn away a local kid with 3 years of SEC experience, even if the returns are minimal.

Advertisement
There's well over 600 kids in the portal. Or, is it 700 by now! While I don't know the breakdown by position, there's gotta be MANY that we believe can help us in the ACC, and would be open to coming to Miami and playing immediately (which is, after all, their reason for being in the Portal in the first place).

There's well over 600 kids in the portal. Or, is it 700 by now! While I don't know the breakdown by position, there's gotta be MANY that we believe can help us in the ACC, and would be open to coming to Miami and playing immediately (which is, after all, their reason for being in the Portal in the first place).

Out of 600 or 700 I’d bet there are MAYBE 20-30 who the coaches think are ACC starting caliber players, good fits for us, and would consider Miami.

Taking Stone now (assuming he’ll be available for the season) is a no brainer.

Something else working against us is that grad transfers often gravitate toward home... and SOFL doesn’t produce a large volume of elite round all players.

Miller is gonna be better than y’all are forecasting, too.

I’m not giving up on Miller, even though I’ve called him **** McGhee his entire time here. Our staff has proven to turn straight up uncoordinated goofs into solid players. Jakiri and Izundu looked like they belonged in the special olympics when they showed up.

They probably couldnt have passed a field sobriety test sober there first two years.

Advertisement
Back