Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

What do you predict?

MPG
PPG
RPG
BPG

Please let us know our numbers.

You know that’s silly, right? What grad transfers do we get? How advanced is Gak? WAY too many variables to predict all that in April.

But I will predict that Miller will be a quality contributor over the next two years.

As was just said, look at Gamble, Jekiri, Izundu.

Miller actually showed some nice post moves in garbage time his first season. Poor conditioning and maturity were his major detractors. I’m not saying he’s gonna be a star. But we’re all gonna be happy to have him on the team, IMHO.

Advertisement
But I will predict that Miller will be a quality contributor over the next two years.

As was just said, look at Gamble, Jekiri, Izundu.

Miller actually showed some nice post moves in garbage time his first season. Poor conditioning and maturity were his major detractors. I’m not saying he’s gonna be a star. But we’re all gonna be happy to have him on the team, IMHO.

1. What is a “quality starter”? What do you mean by that? Why can’t you give some estimates?
2. Please explain how Gamble, Izundu and Jekiri compare to Miller.
3. Please let me know these games where Miller showed these “quality moves”. Please. He hardly played so it will be very easy to find.

Just for general interest, here's an evaluation of Miller while he was in Prep school:

"Miller opened his prep career at 6-9 and then sprouted another two inches to 6-11, and accordingly he has needed additional time to adjust to his new size. Miller at times has looked awkward on the court, and yet anyone with experience watching prospects realized he warranted consideration for the highest level based on what he might become down the road. Recently, he has begun to display a few post moves and scoring touch around the basket."

I think the key phrase was/is "warranted consideration ... based on what he might become down the road." I find it odd that a prospect who is that much of a gamble warranted 4 stars but ... what do I know? Can't say I've seen any "post moves" when he's played (although the evaluator did qualify that by saying he had just begun exhibiting "a few" of those). Again, a post up guy just developing a few moves in a Prep School year being rated a 4 star? I'm surprised!

Just for general interest, here's an evaluation of Miller while he was in Prep school:

"Miller opened his prep career at 6-9 and then sprouted another two inches to 6-11, and accordingly he has needed additional time to adjust to his new size. Miller at times has looked awkward on the court, and yet anyone with experience watching prospects realized he warranted consideration for the highest level based on what he might become down the road. Recently, he has begun to display a few post moves and scoring touch around the basket."

I think the key phrase was/is "warranted consideration ... based on what he might become down the road." I find it odd that a prospect who is that much of a gamble warranted 4 stars but ... what do I know? Can't say I've seen any "post moves" when he's played (although the evaluator did qualify that by saying he had just begun exhibiting "a few" of those). Again, a post up guy just developing a few moves in a Prep School year being rated a 4 star? I'm surprised!

I too await the game(s) that these “nice post moves” occurred.

Advertisement
Meh. Do we need another guard? Stats from this past year weren't great either (granted he only played in 15 games) - sub 40% from the field, barely 10 ppg.

I don't mind getting a backup true point guard. Occeus is known for his defense which is something we also need at the guard spot. Assuming we get Enaruna then we are good on the wings and can use the last 2 spots on big men.

I'd ideally like the final 4 slots to be allocated this way:

1. HS recruit (Enaruna would be ideal)
2. Grad Transfer big (Stone?)
3. Undergrad Transfer (BPA)
4. Grad Transfer (BPA)

Just think we can do better here.

Meh. Do we need another guard? Stats from this past year weren't great either (granted he only played in 15 games) - sub 40% from the field, barely 10 ppg.

A few things:

1. Meh? If you think Keith “just tore my ACL” Stone is worth taking because of 8 and 5, then this guy is better than “meh”. Not that Occeus is great but his production is better than “meh”. He also can play defensive.

2. We need another eligible guard. We have 5. We need another one. This doesn’t mean we don’t need 2 more big men. This is my big issue with taking this guy...He isn’t eligible.

3. This guy is actually healthy and a really good defensive player. Look what he did for NE this year and the tournament (getting there). Look at his defensive accomplishments. But again, he isn’t eligible.

Advertisement
I don't mind getting a backup true point guard. Occeus is known for his defense which is something we also need at the guard spot. Assuming we get Enaruna then we are good on the wings and can use the last 2 spots on big men.

The problem with Occeus is he needs to sit out and has one year to play. If he had two years of eligibility left, I would strongly consider him.

I would also consider him, more, if we knew we weren’t getting Enaruna. Ideally, here is what I would do with four ships left:

1. Grad Transfer (Big Man)
2. Grad Transfer (Guard/Wing)
3. Enaruna
4. Grad Transfer (Big Man)/Best Transfer who must sit out

The problem with Occeus is he needs to sit out and has one year to play. If he had two years of eligibility left, I would strongly consider him.

I would also consider him, more, if we knew we weren’t getting Enaruna. Ideally, here is what I would do with four ships left:

1. Grad Transfer (Big Man)
2. Grad Transfer (Guard/Wing)
3. Enaruna
4. Grad Transfer (Big Man)/Best Transfer who must sit out
Think we need to get 3 more big men who could play right away. I can’t trust Gak, Miller, Sam, and Walker. I would be happy with 2 at least and then add another guard.

Advertisement
Think we need to get 3 more big men who could play right away. I can’t trust Gak, Miller, Sam, and Walker. I would be happy with 2 at least and then add another guard.

1. I think the issue with taking 3 more big men (eligible) is that we have other needs as well. So the needs of taking an eligible guard are greater than that of a 3rd big man, IMO.

2. I wouldn't trust Miller. I think Gak showed some actually flashes of talent. As for Walker, there is certainly plenty of minutes available. Sam doesn't look or play like a big man.

3. I think with Tristan Enaruna still in play, I think it is even harder to take a 3rd eligible big man. Enaruna may be raw but he will likely play at the 4 next year along with Walker.

I doubt we'd take him unless he was going to be fine. He had a solid sophomore year (9/4.5) and shot 39% from 3. He we can somewhere near that, it's a very good get.

Advertisement
If they use Stone like Joe Thomas, its a good/great add. If they're expecting him and Sam to account for 95% of the minutes at the 4, its very meh.

At this point, we desperately need either Nysier Brooks or Jayce Johnson. Can't go into next year with Miller and Gak as our only 2 bigs, I'd rather start a tub of Kirkland mayonnaise.

Advertisement
Back