Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
TJ Holyfield would be a good pickup. Any combination of him, Matej Kavas and Alihan Demir would be good. All three would be great.

TJ Holyfield would be a good pickup. Any combination of him, Matej Kavas and Alihan Demir would be good. All three would be great.

My only concern, which isn't a real concern with 5 ships open, is if you take a player like Holyfield or Demir, you need to take another eligible big man (grad transfer or Ugboh). Neither of those guys are traditional big men, they're more of a stretch four and we already have one (albeit not as good) in Sam. Given that we're relying on Gak and Miller at C, we must bring in some proven eligible competition. I hate to think that the only centers we have are Gak and Miller next year.

As for Matej Kavas, he is a G/F. I would take him. He can rotate in as a 3rd Guard or SF. Easily could get 20-25 MPG.

My only concern, which isn't a real concern with 5 ships open, is if you take a player like Holyfield or Demir, you need to take another eligible big man (grad transfer or Ugboh). Neither of those guys are traditional big men, they're more of a stretch four and we already have one (albeit not as good) in Sam. Given that we're relying on Gak and Miller at C, we must bring in some proven eligible competition. I hate to think that the only centers we have are Gak and Miller next year.

As for Matej Kavas, he is a G/F. I would take him. He can rotate in as a 3rd Guard or SF. Easily could get 20-25 MPG.

Good point. I thought about that also. There isn't a proven rebounder on the roster. Rebounding would be the only issue. The talent is there especially if you add two freshman like Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna.

I can tell you don't think this will be a breakout year for Sam, Rodney and Gak?

Advertisement
I can tell you don't think this will be a breakout year for Sam, Rodney and Gak?

1. Gak, after his first game here, showed more skills/ability/potential than anything Miller has done his WHOLE tenure. I think Gak needs to add a lot more weight/muscle on him. I don't see how he can be relied on for serious burn yet.

2. Sam is a bench player. He shouldn't start. He would have been on the bench if Dewan was...

3. I don't understand Miller. I don't know why he is still on scholarship. Since Miller arrived he has done NOTHING but suck. He used to be the backup for the backup (Izundu) before he redshirtted this season. He is insanely slow and lacks any coordination. He can hardly get his feet off the ground.

I think some people are still trying to hope he turns into Gamble, which I don't understand at all. As we remember...

- Gamble redshirted his freshman year and his 5th year because of injury (ACL tear).
- Miller is redshirting because he isn't worth playing .
- Gamble showed a lot more than anything Miller showed during his first two seasons at Miami:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rodney-miller-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/julian-gamble-1.html

-------------------

My main issue with Miller, besides a waste of a scholarship, is what do people seriously expect from him? Decent starter? Quality backup? I just think people are hoping they will get something out of him but for Miller to hit Gamble production, it would be an incredible jump. Obviously more of a jump than Gamble from day one to his last day.

1. Gak, after his first game here, showed more skills/ability/potential than anything Miller has done his WHOLE tenure. I think Gak needs to add a lot more weight/muscle on him. I don't see how he can be relied on for serious burn yet.

2. Sam is a bench player. He shouldn't start. He would have been on the bench if Dewan was...

3. I don't understand Miller. I don't know why he is still on scholarship. Since Miller arrived he has done NOTHING but suck. He used to be the backup for the backup (Izundu) before he redshirtted this season. He is insanely slow and lacks any coordination. He can hardly get his feet off the ground.

I think some people are still trying to hope he turns into Gamble, which I don't understand at all. As we remember...

- Gamble redshirted his freshman year and his 5th year because of injury (ACL tear).
- Miller is redshirting because he isn't worth playing .
- Gamble showed a lot more than anything Miller showed during his first two seasons at Miami:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rodney-miller-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/julian-gamble-1.html

-------------------

My main issue with Miller, besides a waste of a scholarship, is what do people seriously expect from him? Decent starter? Quality backup? I just think people are hoping they will get something out of him but for Miller to hit Gamble production, it would be an incredible jump. Obviously more of a jump than Gamble from day one to his last day.

For the record, I see your point and agree with you. Those 4 exhibition games in Italy in August will tell us alot about our upcoming season. The strength and conditioning coach that transformed Tonye Jekiri is back on staff so that may be their source of optimism for Rodney Miller.

Unless Sam and Rodney take huge steps in their progression then you are correct, solid bench players is their max. Which is not bad as long as you don't give them starter minutes.

Personally, I would rather have and not need then to need and not have. That is why I prefer upgrading the talent on the roster.

Obviously the list below isn't a full list, just some random mentions. Players listed below, that are not committed to us, are currently uncommitted/unsigned by another school.

The Remaining 5 Scholarships

1. 2019 HS Senior (Guard)

- Harlond Beverly [Committed]

2. 2019 HS Senior (Forward)

- Tristan Enaruna [Taking a visit to Miami on 4/24]

3. Grad Transfer (Big Man)

- T.J. Holyfield (PF from Stephen F. Austin) - [Visited Miami 4/12]
- Emmauel Ugboh (PF/C) - JUCO

4. Grad Transfer (Guard)

- Rayjon Tucker (G from Little Rock)

5. Best Transfer/Player

- Justice Sueing (F from Cal Berkeley): Sit 1/Play 2
- Jared Bynum (G from St. Joseph's): Sit 1/Play 3

Advertisement
https://miami.rivals.com/news/big-time-hoops-transfer-wraps-up-cane-visit-it-went-great-

If anyone has access to this article, please post the information. At least the headline is positive. TJ Holyfield.

We kicked the living sh*t out of those guys this year. Luckily, Holyfield didn't play that night (EDIT: He didn't play at all last year). Not really sure what the rotation would look like with Sam, Walker and this guy all playing the 4 exclusively. Doubt Sam would start over him, but it doesn't solve our need for a 5.

I'll throw another name out there. Caleb Daniels, a 6-4 guard has entered to portal from Tulane. He was a sophomore, so he'd have to sit and then have 2 to play. As a sophomore he averaged 16.9 ppg, 5.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists as a 2 guard. Tulane was garbage last year, but they hired Ron Hunter from Georgia State, so he might go back. If not, I'd take a look. He can play and flat out score. He scored 36 against Wichita State in their final game of the season and 25 against Memphis.

Advertisement
I'll throw another name out there. Caleb Daniels, a 6-4 guard has entered to portal from Tulane. He was a sophomore, so he'd have to sit and then have 2 to play. As a sophomore he averaged 16.9 ppg, 5.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists as a 2 guard. Tulane was garbage last year, but they hired Ron Hunter from Georgia State, so he might go back. If not, I'd take a look. He can play and flat out score. He scored 36 against Wichita State in their final game of the season and 25 against Memphis.

I think he is definitely worth getting down for a visit. Regardless of him, Beverly would be our 5th eligible guard for next year. We need at least one more eligible guard. So with four scholarships remaining:

1. Grad Transfer (Big Man)/Ugboh (JUCO)
2. Grad Transfer (Guard)
3. Tristan Enaruna/Grad Transfer (Big Man)
4. Best Transfer Player

Perhaps Daniels can be #4 above.

Sam should be playing no more than 5-7 minutes a game for a good ACC team.

Advertisement
Easy answer. He wouldn't be on the roster.

Yet, if we insisted on having 13 scholarship players last year we would've likely ended up with three more JAGs like Rodney Miller.

This was what we should've done according to some of the same people whining about Rodney Miller's presence.

Advertisement
Back