Transfer Portal (NCAA Basketball)

Advertisement
Five Ships:

1. 2019 HS Senior (guard)
2. Grad Transfer (guard)
3. Grad Transfer (big man)
4. Grad Transfer (big man) or JUCO (Ugboh)
5. Best Available Transfer (guard) or 2019 HS Senior (guard) [This one can redshirt]

Make it happen.

Wonder if L has Euros and/or more Aussies under consideration -- either as Plan A's or Plan B's. Ones more in the mold of Manu and DJ, of course.

2019 recruit Tristan Enaruna is from the Netherlands. I hope the coaching staff is telling him that Miami has 4 games in Italy this summer and it would be a great way for his family to see him without traveling to the USA.

Along with the playing time he will get when he signs with Miami.

I know from having lived in Europe for 6 years that Miami holds a particular attraction to many Europeans. (So what if a certain percentage of those attracted associate it with Disney World.) The warm weather and the whole tropical cachet make it a prime USA destination. That can't hurt. Plenty of reasons to come to Miami! Not many for going to Lubbock, TX or Lawrence, KS, or North Carolina, or the like.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Grad transfers that would fit Miami in my opinion:

Chris Clarke VaTech SF, Rayjon Tucker PG Arkansas Little Rock, Shakur Juiston SF UNLV, Ailhan Demir PF Drexel and C Yanni Wetzell C Vanderbilt.

I would take 3 of these grad transfers to add to the roster along with Harlond Beverly and Tristan Enaruna. Miami definitely needs to win 20 plus games and go to the NCAA tournament next season before the request for a coaching change gets louder. I am against changing coaches but winning next season eliminates that option.

The most realistic of this group would be Clarke, Demir and Wetzell. IMO.

GO CANES.

Last edited:
Out of that 573 number, even after an initial large cut-down, that's a massive evaluation job coaching staffs' face.

Out of that 573 number, even after an initial large cut-down, that's a massive evaluation job coaching staffs' face.

Good point. After I evaluate the roster, I still think Miami needs 1 wing and two bigs from the transfer portal. I would take 3 grad transfers so those scholarships can be used for the 2020 recruiting class. Also, Coach L does better with older teams so the goal should be to get old.

IMO, Coach L does not have time to take regular transfers who sit out because if he has another losing season, people will want him fired. I am not one of those people but it is the nature of college basketball.

Get old and win should be the goal.

Keeping my eye on that St. John's vacancy. Bobby Hurley is their first choice but ... you see what happened with UCLA and Mick Cronin. L is a NYC kid who pIayed close by SJU in High School. I wonder if L is on any team's HC radar, or does his age protect us from him being approached/poached?

Advertisement
Keeping my eye on that St. John's vacancy. Bobby Hurley is their first choice but ... you see what happened with UCLA and Mick Cronin. L is a NYC kid who pIayed close by SJU in High School. I wonder if L is on any team's HC radar, or does his age protect us from him being approached/poached?

His age is a factor. The new AD at St Johns is a Duke Alum. He wanted to keep Mullins but he would not give Mullins a contract extension. Mullins did not want to be a lame duck coach after next season as they impacts recruiting if you don't win.

Cincinnati is a step backwards for Coach L in my opinion. If he took that job, it means he thinks Miami would fire him. Both of which I highly doubt. Cincinnati attempting to give the job to Coach Caputo is more likely. Hopefully, that does not happen.

I don't think he'd have any interest in Cinncy whatsoever. St. John's might be a different story. Have no idea what salaries might be in play -- at UM or St. Johns. Mullen, btw, wants the $4M owed him. If he "stepped down," SJU would be off the hook, right? Seems to me Mullen wants the 4 Million buyout but wants to save face by saying he was not let go. Can't have both.

I actually agree with the new AD. Mullin has been at St Johns for 4 years without making the NCAA tournament and no one knows how close or far away the program is from being an NCAA tournament team. I have to wonder, if Mullin was confident in the direction of the program, he would have coached the team next season and let things work themselves out.

I guess they were both playing chicken and Mullin lost.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I actually agree with the new AD. Mullin has been at St Johns for 4 years without making the NCAA tournament and no one knows how close or far away the program is from being an NCAA tournament team. I have to wonder, if Mullin was confident in the direction of the program, he would have coached the team next season and let things work themselves out.

I guess they were both playing chicken and Mullin lost.
Didn't St. John's make the Dayton Play-In Games this season. Lost to Arizona State? Does that count as "technically" making the Tournament, or do you have to win that game to consider yourself a Tournament Team? No reason, being in NYC, why SJU shouldn't be a power in the Big East, as they were for years (including for decades before the Big East was even envisioned).

Didn't St. John's make the Dayton Play-In Games this season. Lost to Arizona State? Does that count as "technically" making the Tournament, or do you have to win that game to consider yourself a Tournament Team? No reason, being in NYC, why SJU shouldn't be a power in the Big East, as they were for years (including for decades before the Big East was even envisioned).

You are correct but St Johns is better than the last 4 in in my opinion. I guess that is viewed as progress. Technically, you are correct.
I think their biggest issue is the inability to get kids from the tri-state area to come. Even kids from New York don't go to St. Johns which is a huge problem.

A kid from Florida who could get immediate eligibility and he would have 3 years of eligibility left.

I don't know if he would get immediate eligibility but given he has to sit out, this would be one of those kids that could come in and create space among the scholarships.

I have to imagine there are better targets but given we have 5 scholarships...maybe take a chance.

Advertisement
Back