Tracy Howard: Overrated or Underdeveloped ?

Tracy is a man press corner, thats always been his strength, hes physical in coverage, i also think his lack of tackling has a lot to do with him not liking the scheme and what the coaches want him to do jmo

This. The scheme doesn't fit our players. The talent and players we have. We should be playing an attacking 4-3 defense and man to man , press coverages and bringing up our safeties. This conservative no attacking defense Dorito runs does not suit Miami football.

A lot of these kids like. Chad, McCord, Chick, AQM, Denzel, Grace, Kirby, Armbrister, Howard, Burns, Corn, Gunter, Bush, Carter etc. would benefit from a defense that plays to our strengths of attacking and speed and instincts.

This conservative bend don't break D. Is making these players suffer severely. All talented as **** players being misused. It's frustrating man. It really is.

A legit DC would turn us into a top 30 defense at worst over night. It's sad man. I feel bad for these kids. It's really not their fault

My sentiments exactly. Spot on IMO.

Advertisement
Everyone knows Tracy isn't a mauler against the run, but he gets his guy to the ground in 1-on-1 situations.

But in regards to the original question, when he is in the game, there aren't very many passes being attempted against the kid. I really can only remember 4-5 passes caught on the guy on some intermediate routes. If you take the batting average from baseball, i'd say he's doing pretty well.

However, I think with all of the guys playing DB, it's hard to get a groove for the game when you're rotating every other series. Right now, there isn't one guy in particular that you can consider the starter at CB for this team. All of them are decent, none of them are necessarily playing lights out (largely because of the scheme). Each one of these guys have their strengths, and of course their weaknesses as well....

But, to point out Howard's lack of ability to tackle like a LB is a bit unfair; in the grand scheme of rating his worth to the team - at the CB position.

Heck, blame the DE & OLB for not maintaing position, which should prevent the CB from even having to tackle RB's off the edge to begin with.

Last edited:
Stop trying to find fault in the players when the ****** coaching them is retarded...these guys would ball out under a half-assed competent coach/staff

Stop giving AG da Bafoon any legitimacy by trying to ID what the players are doing wrong.

Underdeveloped....If Golden get fired and we get Butch, Stoops, Schiano, Pruitt or dude from Michigan State, neither him or Bush will last past the 2nd round in the NFL draft. Before Miami he was being recognized by Deion and Revis as being a future great db. Then Al and No D got a hold of him and made him play zone and potentially lose millions. His future depends on admins desire to win.

Over rated
Over rated

Slow.... lol he's slow period
I am harder on DB's because I played.
Give me a PJ Williams any day of the week.

Advertisement
Underdeveloped. Tracy has checked out and I don't blame him. He is the player I feel sorry for the
Most. Miami was not his first choice but he did it for his city, family and friends and he was re-payed by this joke of a staff ruining his college career. He will get draft mid-late rounds and make some GM look like a genius.

I had very high expectations for the kid coming into college.. His time here has been underwhelming to say the least. Is that more on him or the staff/scheme? Would he have thrived more in another system?

I will probably say both.
He is another highly touted athlete that Golden has failed to develop
And this website overrates everyone. I dont know how many Sean Taylor and Ed Reed comparison I've read on here. People were crowning him a 1st round lock, best corner in college

Over rated
Over rated

Slow.... lol he's slow period
I am harder on DB's because I played.
Give me a PJ Williams any day of the week.

You dont have to be fast to play corner. I'm sure FSU knows how to develop the talent they have

Advertisement
howard is just like brandon harris.. i said it before he got here... he wasn't even the best corner coming out of high school...

So i guess elder has been coached up by the staff if howard has been coached down gtfo out of here woth this nonsense

Advertisement
I am friends with one of his coaches from 7 on 7. This coach told me that Tracy Howard is a dominant player when he is allowed to play press coverage because he is physical like Ty Law. He went on to tell me that soft zone coverage isn't Tracy's forte. I think this coach is spot on. It is the scheme.
Physical like Ty Law? I remember Ty Law cracking heads in the run game. Tracy, not so much.

Perhaps his problem in tackling in the run game is that he is playing 7 yards off the LOS as opposed to on the LOS in press coverage and the RBs are at full speed and squared up when they get to him?

Then how does Elder do it?

Elder's quicker and better at diving at feet. It's not like Corn is standing anyone up and busting them. He's got 13 tackles, and Tracy has 8 on the season. Not sure if any of Corn's tackles are on STs.

Then how does Elder do it?

The one time I saw him due to Sat night he had to leave the game. Not an ideal situation.

That is my recollection. Didn't he leave the field with his arm hanging down?

That's basic physics. When 180 pound guys like Tracy and Corn are asked to take on 200+ pound guys barreling at them with a full head of steam it's going to cause problems for the small guy.

howard is just like brandon harris.. i said it before he got here... he wasn't even the best corner coming out of high school...

Howard I think had better ball skills and is a little meaner, but he's slower. He'd be a great Cover 2 corner IMO.

As far as player development: one day this school will realize that having a sociology major as S and AC coach, no training table, no nutritionist full time, and a bunch of recruiters as your position coaches is costing these kids hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Advertisement

Harris was better than Howard... Everyone also knew Peterson was tge best db in hs... That being said Howard lack of athleticism really limits him... However you would think the zome scheme implemented would help him nut it only hinders him...

too easy....deon bush and t howard....one of the best safeties in the nation and thee best db in the nation respectively. both playing like their coach, soft. you are a product of your environment and our environment equals baby doo-doo. not his fault.

Tracy has been mentality beaten down for the last 3 years by this staff about "playing within the system" "don't freelance" Tracy's been underdeveloped like ****, he's going to go to NFL and get real coaching and show these crap coaches that their system is trash...but he has literally been neutered like a dog since coming to Miami
tumblr_mh5dk0mCPX1qg7lajo1_500.gif

Advertisement
Back