Totally and completely OT: Is this spouse worth $36 BILLION dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you’re asking, and I actually think it’s a good question.
For the lawyers on here: If you are starting a business or in the process of starting one while or after you get married, is there any way to cap the losses to a spouse if you were to get divorced? Would it ever be possible to create a way to do so?
Of course. A husband and wife can contract away from the default 50/50 split. Many do this pre-marriage, but it can be done during the marriage as well. With a few rare exceptions, they could agree to any form of split of assets they want. Of course, both parties would have to be agreeable.

Advertisement
Again, people are looking at their spouses as if we were living in the 1950s. Most married people I know, the wife has her own career, does her own thing. So she’s going to get 50%, if he’s contributed more than 50% to their net worth?

I know his wife contributed at the beginning, but not 25% worth or $36 billion worth, not even close, imo. She even admitted in an interview that she was “not much of a business person“.

Also, her tenure at Amazon was relatively brief, and other than support at the very beginning, she really didn’t have a whole lot to do with their success which gradually built over a period of a decade or longer. In fact, she’s been a novelist most of the time.

So what do you truly believe she should have gotten give your argument?

Also important -- she played a huge role in starting Amazon. She may not have been the brains behind it, but it's not like she was some NBA trophy wife just sitting on the sidelines. She was, in this case, shooting with him in the gym.

This is correct. I used to work at Amazon in the early days. She was instrumental in starting Amazon actually. In addition to helping at Amazon she also had a job that paid the bills while Jeff was starting Amazon. Jeff and her met at DE Shaw, the hedge fund they worked at before starting Amazon. She graduated from Princeton.

There are a lot of neandrathals on this site who don’t understand the value of an intelligent women. My daddy taught me the worst thing a man can do is marry a stupid women no matter how hot she is.

Advertisement
This is correct. I used to work at Amazon in the early days. She was instrumental in starting Amazon actually. In addition to helping at Amazon she also had a job that paid the bills while Jeff was starting Amazon. Jeff and her met at DE Shaw, the hedge fund they worked at before starting Amazon. She graduated from Princeton.

There are a lot of neandrathals on this site who don’t understand the value of an intelligent women. My daddy taught me the worst thing a man can do is marry a stupid women no matter how hot she is.

Every case is different.

Only Neanderthals think an automatic 50% is fair. It reeks of paternalistic chauvinism.

How do you like them apples?

Got a scenario here where an attorney is out here essentially pushing for the dissolution of the stability of a business with an almost $800 BILLION market cap. The company is projected to see a 20% surge in shares in the upcoming year...but yeah, lets take Bezos to court and hold'em up. Sounds like a few people end up committing suicide in a New York hotel room, to me.

Can't make this **** up.

You get the fact that an attorney represents his or her client, right? If I was Bezos’ attorney I would fight that greedy ***** to the death. If I represented the company I might interplead in some manner to protect the market cap. I have no clue what basis or method but that would be the most fun side to be on.

Giving consideration to reduced share prices and market cap is valid but that cuts both ways. As to stock prices, management risk should always factor into purchase, hold and sell decisions. I don’t see AZ as that dependent on Bezos. It is a monster on its own account now and could live without him. Anyway way they are both rich enough to build us a new stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back