TOS report on RJ and Kendrick

The departure of both starting DTs early to the NFL is a massive blow. There's no way any reasonable person can sugarcoat the loss. We go from being Coastal Division favorites to playing second fiddle (again) to VT. The VT coaching staff convinced their talented underclassmen (including, their best DT) to return. Also, the game next year is at Blacksburg and will likely be played in prime time. Our starting QB will either be a frosh or Rosier. No matter how you spin it, VT will be the favorite.

Criticizing the coaches for not having a backup plan and targeting more DTs earlier in the year is fair game. The possibility of both McIntosh and Norton leaving was discussed in the spring. We should have recruited another DT last year and should have more than one player committed this year. That's the truth and reflects poorly on Richt, Kool an Diaz. However, even if the coaches had 3 or more DTs committed right now, that would not significantly alleviate the impact we are about to experience next year. That problem should have been addressed two years ago. It takes several years of top-notch recruiting to overcome the loss of your top 3 defensive tackles. Teams like 'Bama and Clemson can do it but not many others....we clearly are not ready.

WE KNEW THEY WERE LEAVING SINCE SEPT . So why even make this post. It is like complaining about it being sunny in Florida. It was always going to happen so it is what it is . Also we are still loaded at DL in terms of starters but I agree depth is somewhat shallow.

Advertisement
MizCane,

That's my point. I don't blame the coaches entirely for the gaping hole this creates. It's not their fault both players decided to leave early. However, they could have done a better job of mitigating the damage by signing another DT last year and signing a couple of DTs this year (early signing period). By not doing either, they are making a bad situation even worse. The staff did not create the situation. The staff cannot completely control the actions of young men and their dreams of playing pro football and providing for their families. However, the staff can plan for this outcome and clearly did not.

With the return of both players, we were the clear favorites to win the Coastal and compete for the CFPs. Without them, it will be a struggle to win the Division. That's the difference between another good year and taking the next step.

That's frustrating.

Last edited:
The departure of both starting DTs early to the NFL is a massive blow. There's no way any reasonable person can sugarcoat the loss. We go from being Coastal Division favorites to playing second fiddle (again) to VT. The VT coaching staff convinced their talented underclassmen (including, their best DT) to return. Also, the game next year is at Blacksburg and will likely be played in prime time. Our starting QB will either be a frosh or Rosier. No matter how you spin it, VT will be the favorite.

Criticizing the coaches for not having a backup plan and targeting more DTs earlier in the year is fair game. The possibility of both McIntosh and Norton leaving was discussed in the spring. We should have recruited another DT last year and should have more than one player committed this year. That's the truth and reflects poorly on Richt, Kool an Diaz. However, even if the coaches had 3 or more DTs committed right now, that would not significantly alleviate the impact we are about to experience next year. That problem should have been addressed two years ago. It takes several years of top-notch recruiting to overcome the loss of your top 3 defensive tackles. Teams like 'Bama and Clemson can do it but not many others....we clearly are not ready.

Yes, this hurts.

But let's not crown VT just yet. They haven't exactly looked like world-beaters lately.

LOL VT ain't even in our league next season WTF is this talk? UM is a top 5 team preseason. VT is a good but not top 10 .

Can you imagine where we would be if Willis hadnt gone into drug rehab...errr...taken a leave of absence from the team and played this season? His a$$ would have left too and we would be stuck with Bethel, Ford and Martin going into Spring ball! Talk about DefCon1 status.

Norton and RJ are going to get drafted no later than the 4th.... CIS needs to get off the meth and let it go. They're both going to make more money than they've ever had, smart decision for them both.

Move on... we are still going to challenge Clemson for the ACC. omg that's right y'all are going to keep bxtchn about the depth chart bc you all like to play mix and match on the internet and think it has anything to do with real life lol

3rd/4th round money is minimum wage comparatively speaking to 1st Round money. It's all about the 2nd contract, that most guys never get to.

again why do you keep assuming they will be 1/2nd round picks just cause they come back.

Advertisement

Yes, this hurts.

But let's not crown VT just yet. They haven't exactly looked like world-beaters lately.

LOL VT ain't even in our league next season WTF is this talk? UM is a top 5 team preseason. VT is a good but not top 10 .

I wouldn't say that. Who cares about a preseason ranking? Wasn't FSU ranked 3rd? how did that turn out for them?

We play VT on the road and lawd have mercy if it on Thursday night game in Lane stadium. We're just asking for an L if we schedule that.

The one thing I don't get is why it was a joint decision. Two grown men, who most likely will not play together again, live in the same city during the season, etc, are out here making business decisions together. Baffling.

I thought RJ could have come back and worked his way into the top 10, like Jonathan Allen did at Bama. I'm actually higher on Norton despite him being ranked lower by the "experts." Think he has above average athleticism for his size, but needs to work on his pass-rush ****nal, which is why another year with Kool could have helped him too.

Bottom line, they are Canes and always will be. Hoping for the best for them. This is not a Kaaya or Yearby situation, they will be good pros, just think they could have improved their stock by coming back and helped us compete for the ultimate prize in doing so.

Projections
Mcintosh- 3rd Round (Range 2nd to 4th)
Norton 5th Round (Range 4th to 6th)

**UPDATE
Sources confirm.

You don't understand why neither one would want to risk playing next to unproven talent and then hurt themselves further? This is difficult to grasp for you? As of right now, what we have next year is an unproven, inexperienced second year guy (Ford), a headcase who hasn't played regularly in 3 years (Willis), and a converted DE (Bethel). I wouldn't want to stay either and not only risk injury but risk an entire year of getting doubled by everyone and thus hurting my position even more (oh and while doing it for free instead of a nice salary). Let me know if you get it now.

What are you talking about? 4 returning starters in the secondary, 3 returning starting linebackers, and two beasts on the edge in Joe and Garvin. They are the STARTERS in the middle. Willis, Bethel, and Ford are fine to give them a rest. How does the backup DT situation effect them? lol.
I have no idea what you are talking about seriously.......if one leaves the other has to play next to one of those guys making it harder on themselves. Not sure how that is debatable. Not sure how having all of what you said matters to interior linemen. We have all that you said already and yet everyone is screaming that they are low round picks. You act like we have the steel curtain on defense coming back.

ACC Double teams> NFL lineman. Got it. Norton's JOB at the next level is going to be to eat up double teams.

I didn't know surrounding defensive talent has no barring on interior lineman, only the man next to him. Now I do. :greedy_dollars:

I honestly can't debate someone this stupid.......have a good one.

Norton and RJ are going to get drafted no later than the 4th.... CIS needs to get off the meth and let it go. They're both going to make more money than they've ever had, smart decision for them both.

Move on... we are still going to challenge Clemson for the ACC. omg that's right y'all are going to keep bxtchn about the depth chart bc you all like to play mix and match on the internet and think it has anything to do with real life lol

3rd/4th round money is minimum wage comparatively speaking to 1st Round money. It's all about the 2nd contract, that most guys never get to.

again why do you keep assuming they will be 1/2nd round picks just cause they come back.

They could improve their stock or they could be 3rd/4th rounders next year. I understand there are socioeconomic factors in play but if it's a question, you should get the degree. The cliche about the NFL being not for long is not wrong.

Whole lot of bisha$$ed-ness going on in this thread.

Advertisement
You don't understand why neither one would want to risk playing next to unproven talent and then hurt themselves further? This is difficult to grasp for you? As of right now, what we have next year is an unproven, inexperienced second year guy (Ford), a headcase who hasn't played regularly in 3 years (Willis), and a converted DE (Bethel). I wouldn't want to stay either and not only risk injury but risk an entire year of getting doubled by everyone and thus hurting my position even more (oh and while doing it for free instead of a nice salary). Let me know if you get it now.

What are you talking about? 4 returning starters in the secondary, 3 returning starting linebackers, and two beasts on the edge in Joe and Garvin. They are the STARTERS in the middle. Willis, Bethel, and Ford are fine to give them a rest. How does the backup DT situation effect them? lol.
I have no idea what you are talking about seriously.......if one leaves the other has to play next to one of those guys making it harder on themselves. Not sure how that is debatable. Not sure how having all of what you said matters to interior linemen. We have all that you said already and yet everyone is screaming that they are low round picks. You act like we have the steel curtain on defense coming back.

ACC Double teams> NFL lineman. Got it. Norton's JOB at the next level is going to be to eat up double teams.

I didn't know surrounding defensive talent has no barring on interior lineman, only the man next to him. Now I do. :greedy_dollars:

I honestly can't debate someone this stupid.......have a good one.

What can I say? I'm ignant.

canecat,

"Not in our league?" Are you serious? VT has arguably the best coach in the Coastal Division and started a frosh at QB. They played Clemson extremely tough and overcame the loss of some key early departures in 2017. They exceeded expectations in 2017. If you don't think playing at Lane Stadium next year will be tough, then I'm not sure what I can say to convince you they are more than just a formidable opponent.

canecat,

"Not in our league?" Are you serious? VT has arguably the best coach in the Coastal Division and started a frosh at QB. They played Clemson extremely tough and overcame the loss of some key early departures in 2017. They exceeded expectations in 2017. If you don't think playing at Lane Stadium next year will be tough, then I'm not sure what I can say to convince you they are more than just a formidable opponent.

They got their asses kicked by Clemson in Blacksburg. It was 31-10 until VT scored a garbage TD with 1 minute left to make it 31-17.

Advertisement
Richt is having them delay the decision of staying to lure DT prospects. :newman:

canecat,

Any chance we can worry about wrapping up a strong recruiting class, spring practice and, fingers crossed, no untimely injuries
or departures before we face that monster program that is giving you stomach issues?

Notsince1985,

Disagree. That game was much closer than the score. Did we kick UVA's **** at Hard Rock? The score would indicate so but anybody who watched the entire game knows better.

Advertisement
Tim Settle , VT DT declared for the draft a few days ago... Not sure if that's who you were talking about... Have the other VT players officially said one way or the other??

EDIT: The other DT Ricky Walker did say he was returning for his SR year, but I couldn't find anything definitive on the Edmunds brothers..

Walker and Settle had literally the same stats. Around 40 tackles, 12.5 TFL and 4.5 sacks. One left and one stayed.

Settle was the anchor on that front and demanded full attention. Just amazed how much bigger he got from his senior year at Stonewall Jackson. My son played against him and Greg Stroman. He laughs when he sees Tim and can't believe how huge he is.

MedleyCane,

Never said VT was a monster. Just said that on paper they are likely the Coastal favorites. Just my $.02 based on what I've seen from both teams this year, what each team has returning and where the game is being played. You are certainly free to believe otherwise and obviously prone to hyperbole.

Notsince1985,

Disagree. That game was much closer than the score. Did we kick UVA's **** at Hard Rock? The score would indicate so but anybody who watched the entire game knows better.

They were never in the game. I remember watching it. Clemson was up 17-3 at the half. 24-3 at the end of the 3rd. This was nothing like the UVA game. Clemson dominated from the start. They were up 10 like 6-7 minutes into the game.

canecat,

Who cares? They almost beat Clemson the year Clemson won the title.

VT is a solid program with a solid coach. The game at Lane next year will be very tough. What are we arguing?

Advertisement
Back