Torretta destroys Golden

Absolutely. Even in the first couple years under Golden, when there may have been any legitimacy to the claims that Shannon left him crappy players or that the "cloud" had an impact, the argument that we weren't talented enough to beat some of the crappy ACC teams we were losing to was BS. I'll concede that we weren't, and probably aren't quite yet, good enough to beat FSU. However, other than FSU, there is not a single team on our schedule that we shouldn't beat given the talent level on this team.

Are you going to tell me that Michigan State's defensive players are so much better than ours (if better at all) that they can shut down Abdullah while we get gashed by him? The answer is clearly NO. There is simply no reason that in year 4 of this coaching staff that we shouldn't have been able to shut down Nebraska just like MSU. There is simply no reason that in year 4 of this coaching staff that we shouldn't be able to stop a one dimensional offense like GT, which was the least talented GT option team I can remember with an average B back, no notable A backs, no big time WRs (like a Demaryius Thomas or Stephen Hill) and a QB that was under a 50% passer before the game.

We don't need the 2001 defense to slow down a first time starting QB and backup RB from Lville, or to keep Logan Thomas (and many, many other QBs) from having career days against us. We don't need the 2001 offense to convert on more than 20% of our 3rd downs. The statistics that have been put out there are both damning and clear - this coaching staff is a joke and the teams it has produced have grossly underachieved. We have plenty of talent to win a Coastal division that is mediocre, at best, and yet, for another year, we're going to fall short because we're still losing to mediocre ACC teams. Good coaches are able to maximize the talent and skills of their players, through development, scheme and strategy. Instead, our coaches have found a way to minimize the collective talent of this team and make perform far worse than where we should be. Whether it's scheme, execution, talent level (which it's not), in year 4, that's on the coaching staff. Any excuses at this point are pure BS.

This should be engraved on a plaque and mounted outside Hecht.

Advertisement
MOAR

Add Gino Torretta to the growing list of former players who are questioning decisions made by UM’s coaching staff.

Appearing this morning with Jonathan Zaslow and Joy Taylor on 104.3 The Ticket, Torretta said:

“You feel bad for the current players. You know there's talent there. People say why are [former players] being negative? When you watch certain things during the game, you say: Why isn't he taught this? Why isn't the adjustment made? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

“What we're not seeing is instincts. When you have guys that can run that are talented and are fast --- teach them a few things well and let them go out and play. [You] don't see guys making plays, being instinctual and being able to use one of their greatest assets, which is speed.”

Torretta said his teams “played aggressive. We attacked.” He said this defense requires a lot of thinking, where “if you don't get the quarterback, you have to catch the guard and center and look in backfield and figure out what's going on. And the linebacker has to figure out which guy is being blocked….

“You see it. I see it. The frustrating thing is we want to see improvement. We don't want to see the same mistakes and we don't want to be told we're 9-0 against scheme and four of those wins are against Army and Navy.”

He said the greatest coaches “are able to adjust their schemes to the personnel.”

His confidence Golden will get this turned around?

“It can't be any higher than five,” he told Zaslow and Taylor. “You can’t tell me we don’t have some players on the team. The only team that has beaten us in recruiting in the ACC is FloridaState. If that’s the case, shouldn’t we be beating those teams?”

Torretta called the Michigan State-Nebraska game on radio Saturday night and “all I could think about was how frustrated I was watching Nebraska --- a one-dimensional run the ball team and we let a one-dimensional run the ball team do exactly what they wanted to do against us and beat us.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...lbin-golden-address-issues.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.theticketmiami.com/the-ticket-morning-show/

Link to audio

http://www.si.com/college-football/campus-union/2013/05/01/al-golden-tees-off-to-victory

You know it's getting bad when your golfing buddy is selling you out. But hey, at least he won at something.

PQXCKHCBKTQBQFQ.20130430230856.jpg

MECZEPFKUNYGDZE.20130430231306.jpg

Two things made it much worse for Golden:

- Penn State fiasco
- the absurd excuses and blaming players

It's one thing to be a horrible coach with horrible results. But when you tried to take another job and blame your issues on your players and the nighttime??? F.O.H.

Penn St was the tipping point. The only way he was going to recover from that was winning, which we all know.

I think the PSU fiasco made a bigger impact on the administration/BoT than the fans.

Advertisement
These aren't message board bozos like us, these are people who truly know the game and have played the game at the highest level. When is someone in charge at UM going to take notice?
IIRC Torretta was a big big Golden supporter a little ways back too.

Yes, was very vocal for him around the time of the Florida game last season
It's really happening.

I know it won't go down during the season but honestly, the sooner the better. We completely ****ed up our recruiting last year down the stretch.....check that GOLDEN completely ****edit up. That time period between the seasons end and signing day is absolutely vital. You can't fire the guy after the season and then scramble. You know **** well the Nick Sabans of the world are just waiting to pounce on our recruits that aren't 100%. We need to show them a direction sooner than later but not rush our decision at the same time.

Advertisement
Absolutely. Even in the first couple years under Golden, when there may have been any legitimacy to the claims that Shannon left him crappy players or that the "cloud" had an impact, the argument that we weren't talented enough to beat some of the crappy ACC teams we were losing to was BS. I'll concede that we weren't, and probably aren't quite yet, good enough to beat FSU. However, other than FSU, there is not a single team on our schedule that we shouldn't beat given the talent level on this team.

Are you going to tell me that Michigan State's defensive players are so much better than ours (if better at all) that they can shut down Abdullah while we get gashed by him? The answer is clearly NO. There is simply no reason that in year 4 of this coaching staff that we shouldn't have been able to shut down Nebraska just like MSU. There is simply no reason that in year 4 of this coaching staff that we shouldn't be able to stop a one dimensional offense like GT, which was the least talented GT option team I can remember with an average B back, no notable A backs, no big time WRs (like a Demaryius Thomas or Stephen Hill) and a QB that was under a 50% passer before the game.

We don't need the 2001 defense to slow down a first time starting QB and backup RB from Lville, or to keep Logan Thomas (and many, many other QBs) from having career days against us. We don't need the 2001 offense to convert on more than 20% of our 3rd downs. The statistics that have been put out there are both damning and clear - this coaching staff is a joke and the teams it has produced have grossly underachieved. We have plenty of talent to win a Coastal division that is mediocre, at best, and yet, for another year, we're going to fall short because we're still losing to mediocre ACC teams. Good coaches are able to maximize the talent and skills of their players, through development, scheme and strategy. Instead, our coaches have found a way to minimize the collective talent of this team and make perform far worse than where we should be. Whether it's scheme, execution, talent level (which it's not), in year 4, that's on the coaching staff. Any excuses at this point are pure BS.

I don't know why you think that post is accurate. This is a team with a ridiculous amount of South Florida players. We're relying on South Florida WR's, South Florida DB's, South Florida RB's, a majority of our OL is from South Florida, 2 South Florida LB's, and a South Florida TE. But you think all these dumb players make it possible for Golden to beat bad ACC teams?

After all, there are more players in the NFL who aren't from Miami than players that are.

I don't know why you think that post is accurate. This is a team with a ridiculous amount of South Florida players. We're relying on South Florida WR's, South Florida DB's, South Florida RB's, a majority of our OL is from South Florida, 2 South Florida LB's, and a South Florida TE. But you think all these dumb players make it possible for Golden to beat bad ACC teams?

After all, there are more players in the NFL who aren't from Miami than players that are.

Who does that AntwanJ chump think he's fooling?

Advertisement

Who does that AntwanJ chump think he's fooling?

He's one of these new UM fans who thinks his opinion is really special for some reason.

I think the PSU fiasco made a bigger impact on the administration/BoT than the fans.

Some of the fans. It was a straight up affront to many fans. That jagoff didn't want to be here and dipped out during the middle of recruiting season after Charlie Strong destroyed him on national television in the Rustled Bowl. It was obvious that he was destroyed when Ped State's people rejected him after seeing that he was a corch. I tried to move forward and hope for the best, but El Foldo is a historically bad coach. I hope the Adminstration/BoT was as hacked off about him trying to bolt for Ped State as I was.

Advertisement
Its not just that we're not beating thse teams, we're consistently getting beat by double digits

Im just mad we didnt lose to Duke, it would have been a furnace already. But patience my brothers. The media has caught on after slipping into a lull

Its getting hotter and hotter. Wait till we lose to Va Tech or god forbid Cincy

I disagree. Cincy is playing great right now.

They just beat Miami of Ohio by 7... then got torched by OSU and completely destroyed by Memphis at home. They haven't been that good. Not that it matters cuz any team seems to light us up and if Kiehl is healthy (didn't he get hurt last week?) I'm sure he'll put up 300 yards and 3-4 TDs even though there is no need to pass against this D since it seems relatively easy to rush for 300.

I can't root for us to lose, however it makes losses much easier to stomach knowing that it gets us one step closer to a decision we all want.

Advertisement
Back