Torretta destroys Golden

Problem2

All-American
Premium
MOAR

Add Gino Torretta to the growing list of former players who are questioning decisions made by UM’s coaching staff.

Appearing this morning with Jonathan Zaslow and Joy Taylor on 104.3 The Ticket, Torretta said:

“You feel bad for the current players. You know there's talent there. People say why are [former players] being negative? When you watch certain things during the game, you say: Why isn't he taught this? Why isn't the adjustment made? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

“What we're not seeing is instincts. When you have guys that can run that are talented and are fast --- teach them a few things well and let them go out and play. [You] don't see guys making plays, being instinctual and being able to use one of their greatest assets, which is speed.”

Torretta said his teams “played aggressive. We attacked.” He said this defense requires a lot of thinking, where “if you don't get the quarterback, you have to catch the guard and center and look in backfield and figure out what's going on. And the linebacker has to figure out which guy is being blocked….

“You see it. I see it. The frustrating thing is we want to see improvement. We don't want to see the same mistakes and we don't want to be told we're 9-0 against scheme and four of those wins are against Army and Navy.”

He said the greatest coaches “are able to adjust their schemes to the personnel.”

His confidence Golden will get this turned around?

“It can't be any higher than five,” he told Zaslow and Taylor. “You can’t tell me we don’t have some players on the team. The only team that has beaten us in recruiting in the ACC is FloridaState. If that’s the case, shouldn’t we be beating those teams?”

Torretta called the Michigan State-Nebraska game on radio Saturday night and “all I could think about was how frustrated I was watching Nebraska --- a one-dimensional run the ball team and we let a one-dimensional run the ball team do exactly what they wanted to do against us and beat us.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...lbin-golden-address-issues.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
He said the greatest coaches “are able to adjust their schemes to the personnel.”

Seriously, does anything else really need to be said?

Advertisement
Everyone sees the problem except Al. They use to say about Bear, "he'll take his-ens and beat your-ens, then he'll take your-ens and beat his-ens." That is what coaching is. Al is the opposite. Jimbo would take our players and beat the crap out of his players IF Al was coaching them. And Jimbo is no Bear Bryant.

Advertisement
Everyone sees the problem except Al. They use to say about Bear, "he'll take his-ens and beat your-ens, then he'll take your-ens and beat his-ens." That is what coaching is. Al is the opposite. Jimbo would take our players and beat the crap out of his players IF Al was coaching them. And Jimbo is no Bear Bryant.

Was said about Don Shula, but point taken.

These aren't message board bozos like us, these are people who truly know the game and have played the game at the highest level. When is someone in charge at UM going to take notice?

Advertisement
These aren't message board bozos like us, these are people who truly know the game and have played the game at the highest level. When is someone in charge at UM going to take notice?
IIRC Torretta was a big big Golden supporter a little ways back too.

Advertisement
let it play out. we're only halfway through the season. we've got at least 3 more losses coming our way. he's gone

What is truly sad here for fans and players is this is nothing new. This crap has been going on the last 4 years. The fans (some) and media have been excusing this crap defense away for 4 ******* years. I've heard every excuse under the sun to protect golden. Here we are 4 years later finally on the same page...

“You can’t tell me we don’t have some players on the team. The only team that has beaten us in recruiting in the ACC is FloridaState. If that’s the case, shouldn’t we be beating those teams?”

This should be the answer whenever someone says there is no talent. Despite the cloud excuse, our classes were better than all these teams we're losing to. Even our defensive players were highly coveted. Winning programs wanted Tracy, they wanted Deon, they wanted Chick, they were bummed when they didn't get Denzel, and Jamal Carter. The issue is obvious.

Advertisement
Back