Top Head Coach Candidates

Fun fact:

Dave Aranda
Kendal Briles
Dino Babers

All first mates on Mike Leach's pirate ship.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/10/6/16431828/the-mike-leach-coaching-tree-washington-state
Putting Dino Babers on that list is a bit of reach, he was only under Briles at Baylor from 08-11 by then he had already been coaching for 20 years, he's not a Briles disciple.

He came up under **** Tomey at Arizona in the 90's & was with RC Slocum towards the end at TAMU. He was one of Karl Dorrell's guys at UCLA. Hardly a Leach guy, Heupel, Lincoln Riley, Dana Holgorsen, Graham Harrell, Kinsgbury, Welker etc more so fit the bill.

Advertisement
What is it with the retain diaz thing we can do much better
Name one
352E037E-8A54-42F1-A49C-C91555DE759F.gif

Putting Dino Babers on that list is a bit of reach, he was only under Briles at Baylor from 08-11 by then he had already been coaching for 20 years, he's not a Briles disciple.

He came up under **** Tomey at Arizona in the 90's & was with RC Slocum towards the end at TAMU. He was one of Karl Dorrell's guys at UCLA. Hardly a Leach guy, Heupel, Lincoln Riley, Dana Holgorsen, Graham Harrell, Kinsgbury, Welker etc more so fit the bill.

Look. At. That. List. Of. Names.

Leach knows how to pick 'em.

Look. At. That. List. Of. Names.

Leach knows how to pick 'em.
Lol, I don't disagree with that, but I still don't think he's the right guy for us.

His Air-raid passing attack is legendary, but one thing his students all have done better than him is understanding the importance of running the Football, something he too often abandons.

Lol, I don't disagree with that, but I still don't think he's the right guy for us.

His Air-raid passing attack is legendary, but one thing his students all have done better than him is understanding the importance of running the Football, something he too often abandons.

I think it's more a function of the the personnel he has. Abandoning the run when its not working is a good thing. Lincoln Riley worked more runs into his offense because he has a stout line and good RBs. Leach isn't a dummy, he will use the weapons he has. Since our OL is a bunch of pansies, that means the RBs will do a lot of pass catching and not as much getting stuffed after a 1 yard gain. Short accurate pass for 4 yards and a run for 4 yards have the same result. So use what you have. Leach also once commented on never having good TEs, who he views as gamebreakers. Our tight ends would be like giving Leach a cheat code to football.

Advertisement
Disclaimer: I KNOW RICHT IS NOT GETTING FIRED THIS YEAR, YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ME, I KNOW.

With that out of the way, these are a just some of the Coaches I think would great for us in the event they were hired.

Josh Heupel - I know I know everyone hates UCF, but I think he would kill it here in Miami due to his Offensive background. He comes from the Bob Stoops coaching tree, was QB coach & OC at Oklahoma from 06-14. He's developed QB's like Bradfrod, Landry Jones & Drew Lock at Mizzou. He was OC when Okla beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl in 2014 when Trevor Knight lit'em up.

Obviously I don't think he would go undefeated at Miami, but I do feel his Offense would be more than enough to bring Miami into the 21st century & we would win those games against lesser opponents because we would put games away early with a high octane uptempo Offense that puts up points at will. Team him up with Diaz & our Defensive talent and I think we have a team that could actually compete for the ACC.

Mike Norvell - Another young offensive innovator that has done a great job in QB & offense development, he made below average QB's like Paxton Lynch & Riley Ferguson look like good passers. When he was OC at AZ St they won 10 games back to back in 2013-14 & made another below average QB like Taylor Kelly look like a legit passer.

Plus currently at Memph he has the #2 rusher in the nation Darrell Henderson. And yes I'm aware the talent level is different from G5 to P5 football, but the point is the man understands how to maximize his players strengths & utilize his weapons without having elite talent.

Ryan Day - Came from that New Hampshire system when Chip Kelly was the OC & was also a Steve Addazio guy at Temple & BC. Followed Chip Kelly to the NFL with the Eagles & Niners, before getting brought on to be QB/OC coach with Urby at Oh St. Has Dwayne Haskins playing at an elite level being 3rd in the nation in passing with 3,280yds 33TD's & 6INT's & considering this is his 1st season as a starter and is a True Soph.

He's the hottest name in coaching right now due to his connections & how he handled being the HC when Urby got suspended for 3 games. He's someone that Oh St boosters would back up the brinks truck to keep him in house if Urby left, so I don't think we have a realistic shot at getting him, just think he could do a good job here.

Dino Babers - Long Coaching history most of you know his background (if not look it up), but as a HC is 53-34 all-time. Did well at Eastern Illinois going 19-7 where he had Sterling Gilbert as his OC & guess who his QB was... Jimmy Garoppolo. Also did well at Bowling Green going 18-9. Currently has Cuse at 8-2 with an opportunity to destroy Notre Dame's playoff potential next week & even has a bum QB like Eric Dungey playing pretty solid.

He's a very good Offensive minded HC & usually has good OC's under him, he gets a lot of his players without having high caliber 4/5-star talent. His resume obviously doesn't stack up to Richt's (none of these coaches do), but I think he would kill it on the recruiting trail in South Fla due to his personality & approach to the game. Most importantly if you've ever seen the locker room celebrations after they upset teams it's pretty clear he gets his guys motivated, they play for him, which is something we need & a Coach that can lite a fire under his team and have them respond.

Neal Brown - Was with KC Keeler at Delaware for a brief stint, was OC at TTech with Tubberville & with Stoops at Kentucky, but is basically a Larry Blakeney disciple from Troy. Has a 33-15 record with back to back 10/11 win seasons in 2016/17 & wins against 2 P5 teams (Neb this year & LSU last year), also almost beat Clemson in 2016 (lost 30-24), the same Clemson team that won the National championship that year.

Now almost doesn't count I know, but when you look at how wide the talent gap is between Troy & Clemson that's still pretty crazy the game wasn't a blowout like it should have been. I know some would say ridiculous even considering him, but I wouldn't necessarily put him at the top of the list but he's an interesting name IMO as an unconventional hire. He seems like a coach that will eventually take on a job in the SEC, and the fact he's only being $810,000 a year it basically a forgone conclusion he'll get a big pay day somewhere in the SEC.

There are others many of you have talked about extensively in dozens of other threads, Matt Campbell at ISU, Mike Leach, even Briles etc., I'm not a Leach guy at all but the thinking of brining in an Offensive guru & pairing him with Diaz & our Defense, along with the very good skill players at their disposal is the right direction we should move IMO.

My top candidates were always guys like Gary Patterson or David Shaw, just basically guys who were proven program builders & winners at their previous spots but I doubt they would want to leave their comfortable situations to come deal with the pressure of Miami. I think we need to go in the same direction that Oklahoma went & hire a young upcoming innovative Offensive guru like Lincoln Riley. It would improve our Offense over night, which would get us W's vs these weak Coastal teams we keep losing too, which would also make us a more attractive destination for both local Fla & OOS recruits that would be salivating at the opportunity to play for Miami.

I know the hardcore Richtians will hate this thread, that's fine, I'm not even going to engage with yall. But for the rest of you, go ahead & let me know what other Coaches you guys think would be great here.

First off, I appreciate the thought and effort that went into this.

That said, I'll just remind you of the time CIS said "anyone who instals an aggressive 4-3 will kill it at Miami and will dominate those lesser teams we struggle with."

It's not as easy as fixing the currently broken half of the team.

Anything would be an improvement over what's happening right now..... Honestly that's about all I have to add.... On other sites I post too I've written all I can write over and over and over and I just have nothing left.... We need change... We really need change.

maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement
The fck? Who's "much better"?
Did Diaz fail everywhere else? Yes

Miami made Diaz, we can find another guy who runs an attacking style and the players can make him too. I admit I dont have a n answer at D but a guy can do the job, if Diaz can do it someone else can. Im all for it

Yea the Coastal and acc as a whole outside of Clemson is traah. I think its risky keeping Diaz or even making him HC. Too risky especially with how retarded our admin is. If it happens its destined to fail.
Head coach and Manny Diaz should never be used in the same sentence when discussing UM. I don't know what the FOCK our fans be thinking most of the time!?

First off, I appreciate the thought and effort that went into this.

That said, I'll just remind you of the time CIS said "anyone who instals an aggressive 4-3 will kill it at Miami and will dominate those lesser teams we struggle with."

It's not as easy as fixing the currently broken half of the team.
I'm more than aware of that, but we're not winning a Natty or making the playoffs, let alone winning the ACC anytime with Richt. Might as well try it with a much more equipped Offensive guru that can at least give us a better shot to compete on a weekly basis than continue to go into games at a decided disadvantage on one side of the ball.

Can't stay married to Richt forever out of fear of the unknown, that's the kind of thinking that lead to us coming into to the year with a 5th year Senior with sub 55% accuracy. Have to keep trying until we get it right, and eventually we're going to have to take a chance on a Coach that might not be a sure thing, as the saying goes... Scared money don't make none.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm more than aware of that, but we're not winning a Natty or making the playoffs, let alone winning the ACC anytime with Richt. Might as well try it with a much more equipped Offensive guru that can at least give us a better shot to compete on a weekly basis than continue to go into games at a decided disadvantage on one side of the ball.

Can't stay married to Richt forever out of fear of the unknown, that's the kind of thinking that lead to us coming into to the year with a 5th year Senior with sub 55% accuracy. Have to keep trying until we get it right, and eventually we're going to have to take a chance on a Coach that might not be a sure thing, as the saying goes... Scared money don't make none.

No argument from me, I'm just pointing out that there's no such thing as a sure thing.

Advertisement

I think we need to get a defensive minded head coach who will employ some great recruiters on the defensive side. He also needs to hire an OC that will, as everyone else already mentioned, be an innovator.

With that said, I'm definitely a bit on the awkward side of the boat and think we should look to hire Brent Venables. I've wanted Brent since 2013. If you check Venables bio, apparently Miami actually did consider him (along with Kansas, Kansas State, Clemson, and Texas Tech) as a head coaching candidate when we got Golden.

I think Brent would be a risky hire considering he hasn't been a head coach yet at any level but he's been one of the best defensive minds. With a good OC hire I'm confident he could coach us up.

Edit: Forgot to mention. My concern with Venables is that he hasn't put any quality LBs in the league (that I know of at least?) And he's been coaching the position since 1995.

Double Edit: Just checked. Between 1999 - Present he's put 2 quality linebackers into the NFL(started at least 2 full seasons). One of them was from Miami which I found interesting. Overall, in 20 years of coaching has had 14 linebackers drafted. 1 first rounder.

Last edited:
To compare, Miami put 15 LBs in the league(counting Chickillo) also during that time, with 10 being a starter for 2+ years, and 4 being first rounders.

Advertisement
Back