2023 Top 100 ATH Jaxton Howard of New Hope (Minn.) Robbinsdale Cooper Senior HS...

Cryptical Envelopment

What a long strange trip it's been
Banned

Minnesota 4-star visited Cristobal at Oregon, now coming to UM this weekend​

New Hope (Minn.) Robbinsdale Cooper Senior High School TE Jaxon Howard will be on Miami’s campus Saturday for Elite Prospect Day.

The reason he’s making the trip down to Coral Gables? “Because even before they were recruiting me Miami was always a place I wanted to look at,” Howard said. “I hit up coach (Mario) Cristobal, coach (Stephen) Field, we set it up and luckily me and my family are ready to do it.”

Howard’s taking the trip with his father as well as DT teammate John Barrow, who hopes to glean some Cane interest. “We’re going to spend a day down there in some warm weather nd chill out a day, go back on Sunday because don’t want to miss school,” Howard said. It’s his first time going to Miami and he says “I just want to see the campus, I want to get a feel for it. One thing I do know: the coaching staff at Oregon and the way coach Cristobal ran things, he brought the energy, everything was juice.

“When I first walked through the door at Oregon, off the elevator (at a July visit), a bunch of coaches were clapping, I know they’ll bring the heat. It was crazy.” Howard says he has no favorites, and he’s already taken double-digit visits to various schools.

Of what he’s looking for in a college program, he says, “One of course is the staff, I know the way I’m treated on visits is not at all how I’ll be treated as a player but you have to trust the staff. And I did notice this year that you can’t completely fall in love with just coaching staffs because in college football everybody is jumping around al the time. So you also have to fall in love with the university, people, the culture.”

Cristobal and Field have done a great job in Howard’s early recruitment. “Coach Cristobal, me and him have been talking for a while since he was at Oregon,” Howard said. “He always kept it real with me, about how recruiting was, how everything is going to be fine and dandy now but when you get on campus it’ll be the real deal, will be crazy. And coach Field, in the past 2-3 weeks we’ve been texting a bunch. He is juiced, ready to go.” Also of note: Howard’s father, Willie Jr., played at Stanford and was drafted by the Vikings. “I don’t think he was recruited at all through high school, then his senior year one of his buddies said come to this Stanford camp. My dad was like I don’t really want to, then he did great at the camp. He ended up getting a scholarship there.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Update from 247’s Allen Trieu:

-Minneapolis (Minn.) Robbinsdale Cooper athlete Jaxon Howard took a visit to Miami (Fla.) over the weekend for the Hurricanes' spring game. This is part of a spring unofficial visit tour which will lead to official visits and then a decision as Howard hits the home stretch of his recruitment.

The Hurricanes have put themselves in position as one of the top schools in the race.

"One thing that stood out to me for sure is the whole staff’s energy," he said. "It’s never stopped. It’s a grind mindset 24/7 for them. And the fans are so invested in what this program has going on."

At 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, Howard is listed as an athlete by 247Sports, but has been known more as a tight end recruit. That has shifted some as school have become interested in exploring the possibility of him playing defensive line, which is where his dad was a college standout and 2nd Round pick.

"I spoke with Coach Salav’ea and Coach Field and they are prepared to take me for either tight end or defensive end," he said.

Howard has not narrowed his list down but three schools ae getting visits this spring.

"I have an unofficial at the LSU spring game this weekend, and Gophers spring game next weekend, then I will be taking official visits in June for a commitment coming soon," Howard said.

After this weekend's visit, it is clear the Hurricanes will be a factor when it comes to that decision.

"They are truly serious for an option for me," he said. "They recruit hard and the right way. Although the energy of recruiting won’t be the same after signing day, you can tell how invested they are in their current players. It’s amazing."

Howard is a four-star and Top 100 recruit per the 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 6 athlete in this class per the Composite.

Would love to land this recruit at TE. His dad played DL at Stanford and was a second round pick of the Vikings. He’s now the coach at his son’s high school.

Howard (the son) also plays baseball and throws the shot on the track team. At 245 LBs, he’s already got the size needed to play TE in college.

sign him up!

Advertisement
Back