2023 Top 100 ATH Jaxton Howard of New Hope (Minn.) Robbinsdale Cooper Senior HS...

Advertisement
He was pretty direct in calling out Nabers after the game to the media. No coach speech either lol. Basically said it was a mistake having him on the field.
Well, in his small defense, Nabers muffed a punt TWICE in his own 30 yard line including during a critical point in the 4th quarter when the defense just had a big time 3 and out. You cant have that as a coach. Its unacceptable. It basically cost them the game because IIRC, both muffed punts turned into scores for FSU. I know one definitely did. You gotta give tough love to kids in this situation but lean more on the "tough" side in this scenario.

Well, in his small defense, Nabers muffed a punt TWICE in his own 30 yard line including during a critical point in the 4th quarter when the defense just had a big time 3 and out. You cant have that as a coach. Its unacceptable. It basically cost them the game because IIRC, both muffed punts turned into scores for FSU. I know one definitely did. You gotta give tough love to kids in this situation but lean more on the "tough" side in this scenario.
Nah if you wanna blame the first muff on the kid that’s fine… but as the HC of the team whose sole job is to keep a pulse on your players, the flow of the game and how the refs are calling it you have to get with Nabers and see if the kid is mentally over the first muff or swap kids if you even get the impression he’s still thinking about it.

Kelly gets paid a lot of money not to let his STs literally cost him a game like this… pretty embarrassing.

Nah if you wanna blame the first muff on the kid that’s fine… but as the HC of the team whose sole job is to keep a pulse on your players, the flow of the game and how the refs are calling it you have to get with Nabers and see if the kid is mentally over the first muff or swap kids if you even get the impression he’s still thinking about it.

Kelly gets paid a lot of money not to let his STs literally cost him a game like this… pretty embarrassing.
Like everything in life, you are ultimately judged by your results, fair or not.

Kelly was on the ropes at ND I remember, think they went 4-8 and he made changes and they improved. Don't overreact to season 1 woes. People remember Saban lost to ULM first year, but Kirby lost to Vandy and beat Nicholl St by 2 points. Both won double digit games the 2nd season. And their recruiting is kinda self sufficient.

Advertisement
I agree but do that to the kids face behind closed doors. Not to the media right after it happenend.
The message would have been clear enough to people outside the program when he was out of the line up.

The 2nd muffed punt did not turn into fsu points. They fumbled it a few plays later at the goal line.

I agree but do that to the kids face behind closed doors. Not to the media right after it happenend.
The message would have been clear enough to people outside the program when he was out of the line up.
True and your right. But ill give him some grace here and say there was alot of emotional ups and downs in that game. Even I was exhausted mentally and IDGAF about either team. LOL. That was a WILD game. I can only imagine being the HC on the losing end of it and being sent straight to the presser to talk about why you lost. (knowing that you probably should have won) But I digress.

Advertisement
The 2nd muffed punt did not turn into fsu points. They fumbled it a few plays later at the goal line.
When I saw that I imagined Diaz sitting at home yelling that is what I was going for when we played them last year. Still not sure how Norvell calls for a pitch there when he has a chance to at worst go up 10. All he has to do is run Travis and game is pretty much done. Nope Norvell says hold my beer and almost craps the bed with that play call. Then they let them drive 99 yards in under a minute to score a TD. They likely lose that game if LSU had taken the entire game to fix the FG unit blocking to prevent a repeat of the 1st half block or if Kelly had the guts to go for 2 there seeing as how they had FSU on their heels.

And Jalen Brown wants to play for this guy

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Advertisement
Back