Too much offense

Exactly. Yet, no one is up in arms bout that. Or how bout all the rage incidents behind the scenes; is anyone linking that to CTE?
The Chris Benoit incident had a lot of CTE discussion but if the NFL wants to pretend it’s not real, imagine how much Vince McMahon would prefer to ignore it.

Advertisement
Bingo.

They've ruined it by not allowing DBs to play football anymore. If you breath on a WR these days it's PI. No wonder teams air it out - if it's not a completed catch you've got a good chance for a flag.

Besides the illegal pick moves, OLinemen blocking downfield on RPOs (oh boy have they ruined football) and blatant holding not being called - the fact that DBs aren't allowed to compete anymore has turned defence into a mockery.
Illegal picks are a joke now: football teams are actually better at setting picks, then most NBA teams : I like how the announcers tried to clean it up by saying, they are running some rubbing concepts : dude its a pick :

The Spurs averaged 21 3 point attempts in the 2014 playoffs and they were one of the best ball movement, perimeter oriented teams ever. Last year, the worst shooting team 76ers averaged 30 3 point attempts in the playoffs.

The GMs and executives who have told all their non-all stars not to take a shot from 8 to 18 feet. Even a player of Zach Lavine's skillset gets told not to take as many mid range. Nate McMillan gets fired because his team doesn't take enough 3s.

Even though there is still a lot of 3s, playoff basketball the calls and defense is way more consistent. I understand the 3s because of the math but teams will go 4-6 possessions without stepping into the arc, stepping into the paint. Point of the game of basketball is penetration. Endless amounts of layups have been past up on in the last couple of years.
the center is basically a post use for setting picks : there are very few Parrish, Walton in his prime left in the league :

You have to wonder: are guys today more skilled than ever? Or do the rules radically inflate the NBA numbers? I think it's both.

Harden is amazing but him doing that one on 5 crap against the 90s knicks would have left him with a concussion or two.

Back to cfb I agree it's gotten to be too much offense. A defense now has to have in the back 7 at least 3-4 guys who are 6'1 210 and run a 4.4, cover cbs/tes, hit rbs like a truck, play the spread, play multiple, etc., just to have a good defense.
Well in b ball the carrying rule no longer exist : which basically makes it impossible to guard these studs

In my opinion, Miami's biggest problem on defense is not even schemes. Yeah schemes are a problem and Baker's got to go, but that's not even the biggest issue.

Our fundamentals are ****. That's to me the biggest thing that needs to be fixed.

We don't tackle for ****. You know how you can spot a good defense almost instantly? Ask yourself, does the first man to the ball carrier bring him down. That NEVER happens at Miami anymore. It used to. It doesn't anymore. Opposing teams almost always break the first tackle and get extra yards.

On running plays, is the running back falling forward or getting knocked back? At Miami, opposing backs are always getting extra yards after impact, we're hardly ever knocking running backs backward anymore.

Are you getting penetration at the line of scrimmage and keeping gap assignments and doing a good job of setting the edge? LOL not at all.

None of those are really scheme issues to me, they are issues of effort and ****** fundamentals. ****** coaching at the high school level, and ****** position coaches in college. And just a poor, lazy attitude. Until that stuff gets fixed, nothing is getting fixed. Just lining up better or running a different coverage isn't going to solve any of our deeper issues on defense IMO.
fundamentals suffered when everything is about scheming :

Advertisement
If they start enforcing the lineman downfield it will shave 14pts at least off of final scores easy. I’m all for it. Offenses will adapt. Targeting needs to stay for safety reasons.

Go Canes!
would also like someone to explained offensive line holding : especially in the ACC :

I’m tired of this double standard. We see ball carriers lower their heads like charging rhinos and have no penalty called on them. If the rules are truly meant to protect players, then why can’t there be offensive targetting? Because the rules just want to up the scoring. That’s all.

I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?
Yes! I am and have been very dissatisfied with the direction of the game. In its current guise, it is ridiculously over officiated with the vast majority of the gratuitous officiating geared towards emasculating the defense.

The Chris Benoit incident had a lot of CTE discussion but if the NFL wants to pretend it’s not real, imagine how much Vince McMahon would prefer to ignore it.
Gosh, the WWE came out and made heartfelt tributs and all that stuff. They pretended as if they gave a ****.

Then, when the police revealed what happened, the WWE removed every trace that Benoit even worked for them as quickly as possible. And when it came out how messed up Benoits brain was, the WWE were completely silent and didnt say a word cause they didnt want to associate with Benoit at all.

Which ****ed off a lot of people within the industry cause the WWE didnt care about concussions (and to my knowledge, they still dont). When wrestlers mentioned how they informed doctors of an apparent head injury, doctor just went "What do you want me to do?".

Advertisement
Around the turn of the 20th century, during the first years of college football, they averaged around 12 DEATHS a year. That’s pretty much when they created the NCAA to change some rules. I’m sure there was a bunch of people complaining that the rule changes were making the game too soft for them and they were going to stop watching but I think it worked out well.

Advertisement
Back