Too much offense

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?

Advertisement
I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Basketball is same way. It’s stupid to watch. I hate it.

If a defense gets 3-4 stops, they did their job in these championship games. Touchdowns feel expected, not earned. Less exciting to watch IMO

Basketball is same way. It’s stupid to watch. I hate it.

And the fundamentals of each sport get lost with the overemphasis on offense. 3 of the 5 major sports (football, basketball, baseball / futbol, hockey) have major questions surrounding the game. Nothing will change unless innovators in the NFL, Power 5, NBA, etc. coaching ranks tweak playing styles while being successful. Until then there will just be more copy catting like always.

These new paradigm shifts aren't going away anytime soon - truthfully they're just starting - so it's adapt or fade away.

Ticky-tak PI calls, holding seems to be dealers choice for the refs, and I think the targeting calls have gotten out of hand. The call on Battle last night was legit, the crown of his helmet went right into the O$U TE's jaw. The call that went against us on Lawrence and the one that went against Clemson for the hit on Fields I thought were ****** weak. Either way, I hate the ejection rule. Maybe eject them on the 2nd call, keep them off the field for 10 mins (hockey does it), but ejecting the on the first play of the 3rd quarter and making them sit out the first half of the next game too is ridiculous.

All that to say yes I agree. There are a lot of bad rules that permit drives to progress when the punt team should be trotting onto the field.

Advertisement
I truly understand the rules for targeting now and how player safety has taken a higher priority, but I think a consequence has been an advantage for WRs who know they won't be punished for coming across the middle and DBs who are forced to play more passive and wait longer before making a play.

...well unless you're Amari Carter.

I love the high octane offense trend going on. I’d rather watch a 66-59 game (hello 2016 OU v Texas Tech) then a 20-17 snoozer, that’s what the NFL is for.

the thing I do agree with though is that the game coddles the offensive side. With the way the game has evolved, I think you can allow the DB’s to be more physical without it being detrimental to the offensive production.

Advertisement

rpo has changed the game, but one rule that has to be enforced is illegal lineman downfield ... literally gives the defense no edge at all

Ticky-tak PI calls, holding seems to be dealers choice for the refs, and I think the targeting calls have gotten out of hand. The call on Battle last night was legit, the crown of his helmet went right into the O$U TE's jaw. The call that went against us on Lawrence and the one that went against Clemson for the hit on Fields I thought were ****** weak. Either way, I hate the ejection rule. Maybe eject them on the 2nd call, keep them off the field for 10 mins (hockey does it), but ejecting the on the first play of the 3rd quarter and making them sit out the first half of the next game too is ridiculous.

All that to say yes I agree. There are a lot of bad rules that permit drives to progress when the punt team should be trotting onto the field.
Absolutely, the ejection on top of the penalty is ridiculous. This game is played at such a fast pace, targeting is inevitable in just about every game, the ejections won't stop it, see Carter

And the fundamentals of each sport get lost with the overemphasis on offense. 3 of the 5 major sports (football, basketball, baseball / futbol, hockey) have major questions surrounding the game. Nothing will change unless innovators in the NFL, Power 5, NBA, etc. coaching ranks tweak playing styles while being successful. Until then there will just be more copy catting like always.

These new paradigm shifts aren't going away anytime soon - truthfully they're just starting - so it's adapt or fade away.
Football teams are scoring way too much
NBA is like watching 13 year olds. They all just run down court and shoot long 3s.

Yeah, I think the targeting call against the Skalski, the Clemson LB against OSU was a great example of the letter of the law, but not the spirit. We're trying to take away helmet-to-helmet hits that give people concussions and probably CTE. Fields spun right into Skalski making a pretty good tackle, but his head lined up into Fields' back, so he was ejected for targeting. I mean come on.

Advertisement

This says it all:

Let me know when Miami averages 45+pts a game. Because unfortunately we made a lot of defenses we played look pretty good in both 2019 and 2020.

Forget about OL's blocking downfield on RPO'S, we couldn't run insidezone to save our lives both last year and this year. That aside high scoring games are more exciting.

Go Canes

Last edited:

I completely stopped watching professional football and basketball for that reason. It’s not fun watching a seven on seven tournament disguised as tackle football. Very real and it’s ruining the game. It’s the instant gratification culture finding it’s way into athletics.

Advertisement
I´d be happy if we let defensive backs be more physical.

But its not going to happen, I´m afraid.
Bingo.

They've ruined it by not allowing DBs to play football anymore. If you breath on a WR these days it's PI. No wonder teams air it out - if it's not a completed catch you've got a good chance for a flag.

Besides the illegal pick moves, OLinemen blocking downfield on RPOs (oh boy have they ruined football) and blatant holding not being called - the fact that DBs aren't allowed to compete anymore has turned defence into a mockery.

I agree 100%. Between college and NFL, I don't know how many times, I've seen WRs' push to get separation and it not get called at all. Then when Running backs lower their hear to run someone over, it's a great play. LBs or DBs do it and they get ejected. I like the fast pace game and high scoring offense. I think you can still have that without making it a penalty to breath on WRs

💯

I've often wondered if the game will begin to get more defensive again. Not talking about the 50s/60s when teams rarely passed. Maybe like parts of the 90's when it was more balanced, but IDK. The old adage, "offense sells tickets; defense wins games; and special teams win championships" rarely exists.

What?

Most offenses don’t operate like Bama or OSU. Even Leach and MSU, who after beating LSU in the season premie, only scored over 30 two more times (31 And 41).

And none of that defensive “limitation“ seemed to be on display when Miami played Clemson or UNC.

I‘m NOT dissatisfied with the game, just Miami’s place in it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back