Too much offense

Advertisement
The rule changes being disguised as "for the protection of the players" is laughable. The fact of the matter is no one wants to watch championship games resulting in a score of 9-3. Both the NFL and NCAA have implemented these changes to produce more points, because it makes for a more entertaining game.

It's basically just going to be arena football before long.

I’ve reffed some college ball at the smaller levels. The ineligible downfield is something I think needs to rewritten allowing those lineman 3 yards downfield is too many yards especially with the RPO. Do you think the wider hash marks have anything to do with it? It just feels like defenses are helpless and it doesn’t matter what you do you’re going to give up 40+ in big game.

Advertisement
Yeah, I think the targeting call against the Skalski, the Clemson LB against OSU was a great example of the letter of the law, but not the spirit. We're trying to take away helmet-to-helmet hits that give people concussions and probably CTE. Fields spun right into Skalski making a pretty good tackle, but his head lined up into Fields' back, so he was ejected for targeting. I mean come on.
Actually, theyre trying to eliminate all head blows, it doesn’t have to be helmet to helmet. Totally agree on the skalski hit, that should be targeting. Fields wasn’t defenseless, he was a runner, and he spun into his helmet. If he doesn’t spin last second, skalski hits him with his shoulder like he was trying to do

I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?

For sure. I've been dissatisfied with the direction of the game for years. It's a couple of steps away from being glorified flag football at this point, something I have zero interest in watching.

Yeah, I think the targeting call against the Skalski, the Clemson LB against OSU was a great example of the letter of the law, but not the spirit. We're trying to take away helmet-to-helmet hits that give people concussions and probably CTE. Fields spun right into Skalski making a pretty good tackle, but his head lined up into Fields' back, so he was ejected for targeting. I mean come on.

Correct. But the intent is the bigger issue. How many times have we seen players (almost always named Amari Carter) deliberately try to avoid targeting only to be called for it due to circumstances no human being could control?

Advertisement
NBA is like watching 13 year olds. They all just run down court and shoot long 3s.

The Spurs averaged 21 3 point attempts in the 2014 playoffs and they were one of the best ball movement, perimeter oriented teams ever. Last year, the worst shooting team 76ers averaged 30 3 point attempts in the playoffs.

The GMs and executives who have told all their non-all stars not to take a shot from 8 to 18 feet. Even a player of Zach Lavine's skillset gets told not to take as many mid range. Nate McMillan gets fired because his team doesn't take enough 3s.

Even though there is still a lot of 3s, playoff basketball the calls and defense is way more consistent. I understand the 3s because of the math but teams will go 4-6 possessions without stepping into the arc, stepping into the paint. Point of the game of basketball is penetration. Endless amounts of layups have been past up on in the last couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, said it better than me. But then they come back with "we're trying to protect the player delivering the hit too". On any given play you can find hits/blocks away from the ball where a player leads with the crown of their helmet, whether to the head or body. If you called it to the letter every play, there wouldn't be enough players left for either team by halftime. Helmet-to-helmet I get, it puts the player being hit at unnecessary risk and they're often defenseless receivers taking a pretty nasty shot. I can get on board with that, but I don't necessarily agree on the ejection piece unless someone is blatantly headhunting a defenseless receiver, in which case they could make a new rule called "Targeting: with intent to kill, maim or injure".

Advertisement
That'll change. Has to.

I don't know. While agree it has to change, the question is how. I don't see how you can put in a parameter that says "the defender was attempting to avoid targeting that ultimately resulted in targeting." It's too gray. I just don't see how you fix it without making it too subjective.

This is why I laugh at people who always call these QBs today the GOAT because of the video game numbers they put up. You can only touch them in certain areas and have to tackle them without falling on them. If your pinky hits their facemask it's a personal foul lmao. Then add in you can't touch a receiver or blow them up going across the middle. You have to completely separate the eras when comparing players...it's like the steroid era in baseball.

I’m with you. Offense is fun, but it’s only fun when difficult plays are made and hard earned.

I think the issue stems, in part, from rule changes that punish physicality from DB’s. Wide receivers can now easily get to open spaces untouched and then when they do get to those spaces, they no longer have to worry about taking a pop (“wr that isn’t afraid to go over the middle” used to be a thing)

By way of analogy, you can’t run a shooter off the three point line anymore in the NBA. So shooters (Duncan, Beal, Steph, Clay, etc.) can move around the 3 point line unfettered by contact and get to their spaces at will. And then when they get there, there’s no hesitation to launch a contested 3 because any ounce of contact is gonna get you 3 free throws. These guys are pulling as though the in an open gym, even when a defender is in their hip pocket.

The issue with college football gets magnified in the playoffs because offensive lines for OSU, Clemson, and Bama can give their NFL qb 4+ seconds to get a pass off.

Advertisement
What?

Most offenses don’t operate like Bama or OSU. Even Leach and MSU, who after beating LSU in the season premie, only scored over 30 two more times (31 And 41).

And none of that defensive “limitation“ seemed to be on display when Miami played Clemson or UNC.

I‘m NOT dissatisfied with the game, just Miami’s place in it.
pure truth

The rule changes being disguised as "for the protection of the players" is laughable. The fact of the matter is no one wants to watch championship games resulting in a score of 9-3. Both the NFL and NCAA have implemented these changes to produce more points, because it makes for a more entertaining game.

It's basically just going to be arena football before long.

I don't want to watch 9-3 games either. you can find a balance lol

By way of analogy, you can’t run a shooter off the three point line anymore in the NBA. So shooters (Duncan, Beal, Steph, Clay, etc.) can move around the 3 point line unfettered by contact and get to their spaces at will. And then when they get there, there’s no hesitation to launch a contested 3 because any ounce of contact is gonna get you 3 free throws. These guys are pulling as though the in an open gym, even when a defender is in their hip pocket.

What's interesting about this is if you have a reputation for defense i.e. Avery Bradley, Pat Bev - the refs will let you get away with some hand checking/hand baring that they don't let other players get away with.

No one knows how to defend the perimeter or cares to try for 48 minutes, and with the high amount of pick and rolls it's **** near impossible. The ballhandler is allowed to shield off his man, who was just picked by a big man, using his off hand and create 2on1 or favorable 2on2 matchups all day. But they want to eliminate defensive handchecking while allowing PnR handchecking for the offensive player. Moreover, that's why teams have said **** it we are going to give up 3s let's see how many you can make and we'll focus on gameplan on shutting down the rim.

Dwyane Wade would actually draw fouls on pump fakes and use his body, now Trae Young can draw a foul on some bull****. Like Steve Nash said, "that's not basketball."

I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?
WRs used to be scared about going over the middle, because they would get their skulls cracked, now they got nothing to worry about and you never see OPIs called. The rub plays are the biggest crock of junk ever, it's clearly a pick and roll, and OPI, but it'll never change.

The only option for a defense is to sack the QB to stop the pass, and even then you have to do it the "right" way and even then (i.e., see ejection vs Miami vs Trevor Lawrence or Skalski vs Fields), it's coming to a point of almost the entire defense have no legal options. OL hold like crazy, the rule of thumb is, the best OL are the ones who can hold and get away with it.

Older folks on the board talk about that 2001 Miami team be the greatest ever, but the game is so different, half of the defensive players would have been ejected every 1st half of every game.

But to answer your question.... Yes.

Advertisement
Back