Too much offense

The league has de-fanged the defense with the targeting and ejections but the last two years the teams that have won has had top talent+top offensive minds. People downplay how Kiffin and Sark completely changed the Bama offense. They are the same guys that had USC doing the samething in the early 2000's. Brady had one year calling plays and one year in the NFL is getting interviews to be a HC.

Advertisement
That game doesn’t speak for any teams outside of those two. Bama was on another level offensively this year. Looking around the country I didn’t see much difference from the last couple of seasons.

I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

Anybody else dissatisfied with the direction of the game?
Refs need to call it up there as much as they do down here. I had my C called for being downfield and he was engaged in a block pancaking a dude and had no idea he was a whole 2y past the LOS

Advertisement
I’m not going to complain about lack of parity. College football has always been like that, and it’s the reason many of us are Canes fans.

But the game is suffering because the rules are too favorable to the offense. We’ve seen the “best offense of all time” three years in a row. Illegal man downfield doesn’t get called and DBs have no legal options against WRs.

During this decade (at least) of offensive ascendancy, I keep waiting for the next big defensive innovation that slows down scoring and yard accumulation. But it hasn't been forthcoming.

Getting 3-4 stops and 2 turnovers is now often the mark of a better than average defense, and enough to win a game if your own offense is powerful.

Instead of the next defensive revolution, I'm increasingly inclined to believe that better defenses now will be nearly entirely about recruiting, because the rules are so slanted against defensive scheme and tactics.

They should make all pick plays OI and they should allow DBs to be more handsy in the first 10 yards.

But don’t see that happening.

The rule changes being disguised as "for the protection of the players" is laughable. The fact of the matter is no one wants to watch championship games resulting in a score of 9-3. Both the NFL and NCAA have implemented these changes to produce more points, because it makes for a more entertaining game.

It's basically just going to be arena football before long.
It's greed.

The NFL / NCAA already have millions of fans, who LOVED the current product. But it wasn't enough - the layman on the street that they're targeting doesn't want to watch a defensive masterclass. They want to watch QBs throw bombs - "chicks dig the long ball".

Eventually what will happen is the core fanbase of the sport will fall away because the product currently on offer isn't what they fell in love with.

Advertisement
When I grew up, running the ball and playing defense was how you won football games. Because @Dwinstitles. Not anymore though.

To me, it's fun/cool to see wild offense in lesser conferences. The UCF's of the world. Even the Big 12 had a niche. But you aren't supposed to win titles like that.

And we wonder why MAR doesn't want to come here to play CB...

Yeah…but I don’t want to watch the 12-9 games of LSU/Bama fame

edit: 9-6. 6-6 at the end of regulation!

I'm with you. Given the choice, I'd prefer to see offense.

In 2011 Alabama & LSU played twice and only scored 36 total points combined. Soooo boring.

The rules changes has definitely made offense easier - but in the past 3 years Clemson/Alabama/LSU has also largely benefited from 1st round QB's/WR's/RB's all on the same team. These teams have just been absolutely stacked at the skill positions.

The league has de-fanged the defense with the targeting and ejections but the last two years the teams that have won has had top talent+top offensive minds. People downplay how Kiffin and Sark completely changed the Bama offense. They are the same guys that had USC doing the samething in the early 2000's. Brady had one year calling plays and one year in the NFL is getting interviews to be a HC.
Nah, Saban has just pivoted to the current trend.

He looked at the Spread and realised he couldn't beat it, so he joined it - then injected it with steriods and bought all the best players he could.

Basketball is same way. It’s stupid to watch. I hate it.

You have to wonder: are guys today more skilled than ever? Or do the rules radically inflate the NBA numbers? I think it's both.

Harden is amazing but him doing that one on 5 crap against the 90s knicks would have left him with a concussion or two.

Back to cfb I agree it's gotten to be too much offense. A defense now has to have in the back 7 at least 3-4 guys who are 6'1 210 and run a 4.4, cover cbs/tes, hit rbs like a truck, play the spread, play multiple, etc., just to have a good defense.

Advertisement
That's why WR's are paid a handsome amount to sign with Bag schools.

If I'm a Head Coach I'm prioritizing QB first, then WR's, then OL, then CB's, then DE's, then DT's, then RB's in that order.

Or you could be like Saban, and sign 5 stars at every position group.

We have seen generational players in the last two years championship teams... unbelievable collection of WRs, older, great 1st round QBs playing behind NFL ready OLs.

It will come back to earth..you will see

That being said.. OL is where we need to go get superior talent ... OL is the difference maker

Advertisement
Offensive PI needs to be an emphasis and offensive players lowering their helmet into defenders, or resulting in targeting calls should also start being called against the OFFENSE. You can't just protect offensive players and act like you truly care about player safety as a whole.

I was 5-6 years ago...I also stopped watching NBA long ago for same reasons

Luck hasn't helped as well...sorry to jack the thread. But AR was a wr we legitimately beat bama for. Dude played here under an ancient offense and killed it. Highly skilled super fast and talented....then bang he breaks his neck or back or whatever it was. That's the type of kids we need. People say it's x and os (which yea that's partial) but AR ran away from kids in a flintstone offense.

U put the wishbone or wildcat at bama they still win the SEC at least

When I grew up, running the ball and playing defense was how you won football games. Because @Dwinstitles. Not anymore though.

To me, it's fun/cool to see wild offense in lesser conferences. The UCF's of the world. Even the Big 12 had a niche. But you aren't supposed to win titles like that.

And we wonder why MAR doesn't want to come here to play CB...
I used to LOVE the body blow nature of a good running attack.

Forget the Shanahan zone blocking attack that used to just shred you from minute one (and can easily replace a high powered passing game).

I'm talking about those running attacks that start off by gaining 3/4 yards. Then in the 4Q you see defenders making business decisions as RBs break long runs - they don't want any more of that.

I miss the attritional nature of the sport.

Advertisement
Back