Todd Hartley

He recruited 4 Stars Dee Jay, Payton, Hodges and Ezzard.

I always find it interesting when recruiters get credit for guys they get who play different positions than the one they coach.

How many players really factor in a coach from another position who is not the OC, DC or HC?

Advertisement
He recruited 4 Stars Dee Jay, Payton, Hodges and Ezzard.

Hodges was a 3*
Richt recruited Deejay. We had UGA fans tell us Deejay was coming even before Hartley was on staff here.
Ezzard was Dugans/Brown.
Payton yeah Hartley definitely helped, but Dugans landed him/kept him.

Again, two 4* TEs in four cycles. Meanwhile Rumph lands 5 4*s in that time and is considered a failure

Hartley was a beast recruiter.

But this Beck commitment is just economics. Kid is a Gator fan, from Jacksonville. White, country looking if that matters. He bailed on UF for UGA. We all know that Georgia is dropping some SERIOUS bags (Haselwood). Is what it is.

I actually love that this kid (who I wasn't that high on), used the Gata to get his street price up and then sell out for the bag.

I don't want to see Emmert do one more nonsense investigation (like Mizzou tutors cheating for players, USC for agents getting Reggie Bush's mom a crib etc) until Bama and UGA go down.

Ole Miss wasn't bagging on the level of UGA. Stevenson, Campbell, Sony Michel, Battle, now Beck. Kirby and the dawgs making it rain in this ******

Hodges was a 3*
Richt recruited Deejay. We had UGA fans tell us Deejay was coming even before Hartley was on staff here.
Ezzard was Dugans/Brown.
Payton yeah Hartley definitely helped, but Dugans landed him/kept him.

Again, two 4* TEs in four cycles. Meanwhile Rumph lands 5 4*s in that time and is considered a failure

You take more CB’s than TE’s in a class so of course there is more volume but fair point regarding Rumph.

Think he really fell in love with that creepy short **** in one week and completely switched from Florida? Not buying it.

Advertisement
colossal mistake by manny that will haunt him for the next few years.

He did good in ‘17. Landed a couple studs in ‘18. And whiffed terribly in ‘19. And if you want to claim it’s because we went 7-6 well you can counter that and say Uga has two 10+ wins seasons and unlimited funds. It works both ways.

Smart/Coley/Hartley were all involved. He is an above average/good recruiter. The meltdown some folks are having over Todd f***ing Hartley is ridiculous.

He was the best special teams coach we've ever had - I'll miss seeing our punters kick the ball 10 yards.

Advertisement
My $02 is that Beck:

1. Saw an opportunity to compete and play relatively early.
  2. Saw the kind of supporting cast and depth that would help him succeed and potentially get to the next level.
  3. Saw a place that would be fun for college and allow his parents to come watch.
  4. Would let him play against good SEC competition.
  5. Hartley probably was a nice bridge to Georgia, but I sincerely doubt he was anything more than an ancillary reason.
  6. Probably felt comfortable with the offense that Coley was going to put him in.

I think Smart is a tremendous recruiter and has all the tools to recruit well. If you look at how much a priority it was for him at Bama and now at Georgia, it shows. He’s relentless with personalized letters, social media, and, of course, has an elite booster checkbook. That’s just a good combo.

Hartley was already a good recruiter. Give him GA bags and he’s even more dangerous. However this has nothing to do with Hartley. This was Coley all the way.

Hartley is a heck of a salesman (and recruiting is sales). But wasn't he our ST coach? Our ST were garbage.

I like having recruiting studs on the coaching staff. But IMO they should be at least competent in coaching their position group.

Last edited:
Listen, I understand this wasn’t completely Hartley’s doing. But the kid mentioned him as he committed. Obviously made an impact as the only other two he mentioned were Smart and Coley.

But Hartley has some doing in this, that’s for **** sure.

Fine, his STs were an abhorrent disaster. But his recruiting skills are kinda unmatched, especially in Jacksonville.

Advertisement
I know this doesn't affect his ability to coach nor (surprisingly) recruit, but I could never get over how he looked in every picture. Between the ridiculous goatee to the tough guy mug in every picture it looked like he was stuck in the 90s.

jordan-miller-1000-coaches.jpg

Attachments

• 1551671379267.png
    1551671379267.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Until we start stomping people uga has a lot more what have you done for me lately momentum. Uga can still sell the “we’re so close” narrative and 3 very good recruiting classes to back it up. If they get beat in the playoffs or don’t make it at all the question marks will start to Multiply at an exponential rate.

Advertisement
I’m not sure how one can possibly say it’s a wash between those 2 at this point. It’s Hartley by a mile right now. That can obviously change, but let Field produce something here before comparing him to Hartley. And I don’t think Hartley is some world beater either, he was good, but not irreplaceable. Just trying to keep it real.
It’s Hartley by a mile? Man hurry up and pass that bro smh..

I’m not sure how one can possibly say it’s a wash between those 2 at this point. It’s Hartley by a mile right now. That can obviously change, but let Field produce something here before comparing him to Hartley. And I don’t think Hartley is some world beater either, he was good, but not irreplaceable. Just trying to keep it real.

I'm just looking at field's line of work at Oregon and Louisville, he did pretty **** well recruiting for them

A wash might be a bit too far given the fact he hasn't coached a full year here, you're right, I love the potential he has though

Advertisement
Back