Today was the first...

Coach D is doing nothing, I mean nothing at all, to cover up the crap that we are playing with at dline. Whatever he is trying is easy to counter. Who blitzes and plays a soft coverage behind it?

It isn't just about this year. Its been the same crap since MD dropped 500 yrds on us last year.

Advertisement
SEC teams, even the top defenses of that conference incorporate a JUCO Defensive Linemen at least once a year and they end up playing with some kind of regularity.

Why? Well, other than being smart, the SEC schools know these kids can come in and play right away at the most important unit in college football (the defensive line...if you didn't know that, well...now you do). That is vital, because let's be honest...continuously shuffling through a constantly rotating unit with pups is going to lend to lulls and years where they just don't quite have the talent they thought they did...so, JUCOs fill the gaps with ready-to-play size.

If a true afterthought in JUCO recruiting, Darius Smith, can sign here late and see significant snaps...imagine what players like Daniel McCullers or Brandon Moore would contribute on this line. Sheldon Richardson or Maurice Couch or Jesse Williams or Quinton Dial. They'd be All-ACC candidates right out of the gate by pure playing time.

If Al Golden doesn't decree right away to scour the JUCO ranks for immediate playing time talent...I gotta question what is going on...even if you sign the 3 or 4 Freshmenz defensive linemen...maybe ONE will help next year?

I understand Al's need to develop the culture, but he needs to remain competitive as well. What happened today (loss notwithstanding, I knew we were going to lose, but its HOW we lost) is unacceptable.

The defensive line is going to take at least another 2 years to stock up on talent that can also contribute regularly. I don't care how many great DT's we recruit in 2013, they aren't going to be able to consistently contribute until they "grow that mustache". So you're looking at a long term project regardless UNLESS you go JUCO, which we've resisted thus far.

Stop ****ing resisting. If the 2001 team made use of the JC route, it's time to get down and dirty with guys who can't spell P-O-T-A-T-O.
It doesn't make sense to me why they've resisted. We need two star JuCo DEs worse than anything. We'd be a totally different team with Vernon and Ojomo.

What Ive been saying. This team quit because its a bunch of young kids with absolutely NO senior leadership of any kind. Look at the Seniors on this team. VT, Kendall Thompkins, Buchanan. Anyone else? This is a different team with Streeter, Forston, Vernon, B Wash, Lamar Miller, Ojomo. We got DECIMATED when all those guys bailed. We didnt just lose our best players, we lost all the leadership and experience on this team.

This team quit because its a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids with no experience or leadership. This team is missing an entire generation of players.

Advertisement
The defensive line is going to take at least another 2 years to stock up on talent that can also contribute regularly. I don't care how many great DT's we recruit in 2013, they aren't going to be able to consistently contribute until they "grow that mustache". So you're looking at a long term project regardless UNLESS you go JUCO, which we've resisted thus far.

Who is Miami going after on the D-Line? I think this should be a priority for Golden to recruit some D-Linemen.

Pause it at the 12 second mark. They have 8 blockers for Klein. We have 4 down linemen and 2 LB's six yards off the ball. They are 6 yards away from the ball.

Stop ****ing resisting. If the 2001 team made use of the JC route, it's time to get down and dirty with guys who can't spell P-O-T-A-T-O.
It doesn't make sense to me why they've resisted. We need two star JuCo DEs worse than anything. We'd be a totally different team with Vernon and Ojomo.

What Ive been saying. This team quit because its a bunch of young kids with absolutely NO senior leadership of any kind. Look at the Seniors on this team. VT, Kendall Thompkins, Buchanan. Anyone else? This is a different team with Streeter, Forston, Vernon, B Wash, Lamar Miller, Ojomo. We got DECIMATED when all those guys bailed. We didnt just lose our best players, we lost all the leadership and experience on this team.

This team quit because its a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids with no experience or leadership. This team is missing an entire generation of players.

Frightening. It's self-imposed probation. :(

NFL U! Most players in the pros! Who cares if the program that put me there is suffering, imma get mines! - every player for the last 10 years that left early

And it gets worse that players suck at Miami but do good in the NFL.

Pause it at the 12 second mark. They have 8 blockers for Klein. We have 4 down linemen and 2 LB's six yards off the ball. They are 6 yards away from the ball.

and we have a safety playing at the bottom of the screen for no ***king reason

Advertisement

Exactly. Defense is math and geography. Get the right numbers in the right place.

Exactly. Defense is math and geography. Get the right numbers in the right place.

I said it in another thread. How many times did we actually have 8 in the box today?

Lacking the foresight to fill needs with real JUCO players is why Randy Shannon passed on the likes of Terrance Cody and not even recruiting a plethora of JUCO linemen.

The other team goes obvious running formation, and we sit there with 6 in the box. They go obvious pass situation, and for some godawful reason we play up. Our DC might be mentally handicapped.

Advertisement

I said it in another thread. How many times did we actually have 8 in the box today?

I made this comment in the gameday thread. They would have 7 on the line and two backs in to block for Klein. We would have 4 down linemen and 3 LB's in the box (our box is 6-8 yards off the ball). The secondary would be 10-12 yards off the ball. I dont know if it is the players (Perryman, etc.) not calling the audible or Coach D making them play base D no matter what. At this point, I think it is the latter because I have never seen our D audible.

Frightening. It's self-imposed probation. :(

NFL U! Most players in the pros! Who cares if the program that put me there is suffering, imma get mines! - every player for the last 10 years that left early

Yep. This is almost worse than probation was. Think about all the guys that transferred, quit, and left early. The Brandon Marti's, the Zach Kane's, Arthur Brown, Vernon, Streeter, Lamar, Forston, B. Washington, on and on and on. Guys we never replaced, and as the MNW class scattered to the four winds, we are left with nothing. I cant think of a year in UM history where there is literally almost NO ONE left on this team from a class where they should have been the senior leadership of this team. We have VT, and Buchanon, who is only here because he was injured. Kendall Tompkins, Davon Johnson, career bench warmers who have never contributed, and are already sliding down the bench. This team has NO veterans.

Shannon's roster management was about the worst thing I have ever seen. The guys that bailed on us early last year killed us. What little leadership and experience we had coming back, from an ALREADY mediocre team, was wiped out. Golden and Company are basically starting from scratch this year.

Yes we have issues with coaching, scheme, and Golden and his staff are definitely going through some growing pains. But the meat and potatoes, the actual guys on the field, have no experience, no leadership, no veterans to guide them.

Im hoping after the debacle from last year with all these guys who bailed early having flopped or signed for peanuts, this will end most of the guys bailing out on this team before they are ready.

Lacking the foresight to fill needs with real JUCO players is why Randy Shannon passed on the likes of Terrance Cody and not even recruiting a plethora of JUCO linemen.

Where can we fit JUCOs in this class? Would you pass on this year's HS DT on order to take some JUCOs?

Advertisement
Mike James isn't struggling. He just isn't being used properly. How many times has he gotten to take a handoff from a QB under center and run north/south or run downhill behind a fullback? Hardly at all, and that is his strength.

We're using him for shotgun HB draws and on sweeps, and out in the flats, and to go east/west which doesn't suit him at all.

Blaming him for his results so far is like blaming a fish who is born to swim for not knowing how to walk on land.
Great post, cane33.

I´m a fan of Fisch, but he need to realize we are not the Patriots(T. Brady) to play this way.

All this shotgun love is killing us... and the use of Mike James from that formation like you said(draws, sweeps...) is borderline stupidity. If after this 2 games(looking at film) coach Fisch does not change his approach, we will be in real trouble. With the defense we have now, it´s not secret we need to outscore every good team we play against.

I hope it´s not an ego thing with Fisch...

Where can we fit JUCOs in this class? Would you pass on this year's HS DT on order to take some JUCOs?

I got a few hand fulls of players I'd tell to immediately kick rocks if I needed room.

No excuse for no rooms. I'm not in the business of coddling.

And, I want the HS DTs we are said to be in the lead for AND a JUCO.

Its needed.

Hunter Wells, Corey King, Jimmy Gaines, Tyrone Cornelius, David Perry...they could all be wished the best in all their future endeavors and we should go out there and start filling the roster with players that you think can play better than these guys in areas of real need...which should be very easy considering the names I just rolled out there.

I honestly don't think they quit today.......they just got taken to the shed from the first snap to the last.

A big FU for bringing up that name, I cried when he went to Bama and led them to a ship.

And Butch loved the **** out of JUCOs both when he was an assistant and head coach. He knew what was up. I said it last week and I said it this week in both gameday threads. We better be scouring the nation for DL and DE's and maybe one LB. Its absolutely critical for 2014, they year this current team is built for if we keep staying the course. Our juniors and seniors are a pile of bovine excrement talent wise.

Advertisement
Back