To the *People who voted to knockdown the Orange Bowl

Hard Rock gets loud when it’s half full. My ears almost bled during FSU last year.

FSU last year was one of the loudest sporting events I've ever been to.

Also expect VT and ND will be on that level.

This

The additional of the roof over the seats traps the sound (and heat) and makes that place LOUD. Just need people to actually show up now and stop complaining about weather, competition, etc.

Advertisement
Donna Shalala and the BOT moved us to HR for some extra revenue $$$. If memory serves me correctly, they turned down a deal with the city that would've seen a $200 million renovation to the OB. That wretched troll ruined everything great about Miami football, never forget.
Not what happened. Care how you wish about her but your information is just not factual.

I loved the OB too, but where was she during Miami's final game vs UVA?

Newsflash it wasn't the stadium.

If you don't think the Orange Bowl played a big role in a lot of our success then you weren't paying attention.

A big night game in the orange bowl was worth almost 7 vegas points. LSU at night is the closest thing to what the OB was.

Not to mention the swirling winds of the WEZ that opposing kickers had to deal with.

The vibe, the seats on top of the field, the open endzone - it all just worked.

Last edited:
I loved the OB too, but where was she during Miami's final game vs UVA?

Newsflash it wasn't the stadium.

If you don't think the Orange Bowl played a big role in a lot of our success then you weren't paying attention.

A big night game in the orange bowl was worth almost 7 vegas points. LSU at night is the closest thing to what the OB was.

Not to mention the swirling winds of the WEZ that opposing kickers had to deal with.

The vibe, the seats on top of the field, the open endzone

exactly!

i wasn't trying to butthurt anyone, just reminiscing a bit to the OB days

no way those two teams would ever beat us in the Old Girl, they just wouldn't have a chance

Advertisement
Loved the Orange Bowl. Had no problems with driving down to the game but Hard Rock is 35 minutes closer to home. Enough said.

to be honest, too young to have experienced the good ol' days at the orange bowl.

But i've been to plenty of NC State, UCF, and Clemson games

Hard Rock last year against FSU was louder than them all in my opinion. I know that is subjective depending on where you're sitting but that place was loud.

You are seriously bringing up the OB? When VT and UVA are left on our schedule? You do remember how those two teams closed out the OB, right?

Donna Shalala and the BOT moved us to HR for some extra revenue $$$. If memory serves me correctly, they turned down a deal with the city that would've seen a $200 million renovation to the OB. That wretched troll ruined everything great about Miami football, never forget.

Your post might be the dumbest one I have ever read on this subject.

There was a PUBLIC VOTE in 2004, where Miami-Dade voters approved over $100 million in bonds under the Building Better Communities bond package. The City of Miami then entered into a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes, the same company that renovated Lambeau Field, to do the same type of work to the Orange Bowl. The Latin Builders Association then protested to the City of Miami, claiming that they would be shut out of the subcontracting work on the Orange Bowl, since Hammes was not a "local" company. The City of Miami then REPUDIATED the signed contract and paid millions in damages, claiming that they were "unaware" that the entity that would be doing the work was a newly-created Florida LLC owned by Hammes, instead of the parent corporation of Hammes, even though the creation of a locally-incorporated entity is very common in these types of construction projects by national companies.

The University of Miami and President Donna Shalala NEVER EVER "turned down" a renovation project on the Orange Bowl, which we wouldn't even have the power to do anyhow, as the OB was owned by the City of Miami.

In fact, it was the scumbag owner of the Marlins who was busy making back-channel offers to the City of Miami so that the MARLINS could get the OB land to build their own stadium. Which, of course, is EXACTLY what happened.

Stop telling lies about what happened to the Orange Bowl. What transpired was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT the fault of the City of Miami, the Florida Marlins, and the Latin Builders Association.

Facts.

I hope if those responsible are still alive, they grow an unremovable cactus up their rectvm.

Advertisement
There was absolutely nothing to compare to a night game at the Orange Bowl. As Ed Reed said, the freaks come out at night. The Friday night game we played against FSU, and won in OT, because of the Monday game being "Hurricaned" out, was crazy. When Little Moss tied it up right at the end of the 4th quarter the **** stands were shaking. My sons girlfriend was at her first Cane game that night and I think she was literally scared because we were about halfway up behing the Canes bench and our seats felt like they were moving 2 to 3 feet with each stomp. And it got worse (better) when Gore put the team on his back and bulled his way into the end zone for the win in the first OT. Place was amazing.

I can corroborate this story and the shaking of the OB. Loudest game I've ever been at.

I was there, too, in the student section. I definitely felt the ground move beneath me -- kind of bouncing up and down a bit. You'll never get that at Hard Rock Stadium... but Hard Rock is still a good home, and it gets really loud with the roof.

People who think Shalala wanted to leave the OB or didn't care about the football program's success don't understand how money works.

Lmfao @ crying over **** that happened what, 08? It sucked when it happened sure but move the *** on

How maricon is it to make threads crying about what happened in the past

That last game at the OB against Virginia, I stayed to the bitter end. I think I was in shock at the pathetic state we were in. I would have never thought I would have to put up with a decade of that. Thankfully we are on the road back to our glory days. Irony is another blowout (Clemson)
Got this turned around. Thank you, Dabo. Getting a change in school presidents helped. We went from Frankenstein to Franks. Coaching went from a Yugo to a Farrari.

Advertisement

Your post might be the dumbest one I have ever read on this subject.

There was a PUBLIC VOTE in 2004, where Miami-Dade voters approved over $100 million in bonds under the Building Better Communities bond package. The City of Miami then entered into a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes, the same company that renovated Lambeau Field, to do the same type of work to the Orange Bowl. The Latin Builders Association then protested to the City of Miami, claiming that they would be shut out of the subcontracting work on the Orange Bowl, since Hammes was not a "local" company. The City of Miami then REPUDIATED the signed contract and paid millions in damages, claiming that they were "unaware" that the entity that would be doing the work was a newly-created Florida LLC owned by Hammes, instead of the parent corporation of Hammes, even though the creation of a locally-incorporated entity is very common in these types of construction projects by national companies.

The University of Miami and President Donna Shalala NEVER EVER "turned down" a renovation project on the Orange Bowl, which we wouldn't even have the power to do anyhow, as the OB was owned by the City of Miami.

In fact, it was the scumbag owner of the Marlins who was busy making back-channel offers to the City of Miami so that the MARLINS could get the OB land to build their own stadium. Which, of course, is EXACTLY what happened.

Stop telling lies about what happened to the Orange Bowl. What transpired was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT the fault of the City of Miami, the Florida Marlins, and the Latin Builders Association.

I was a freshman at The U in 2004, it was also the first time I voted, and guess what? That proposal was on the ballot, and none of us that voted for it could put our fingers on where that money went. Oh that's right, it went into someone's pocket, and not a thing was done for the OB. It's amazing how many of our "Fans" have little understanding of how or why things happen. Then again, the same fans that deify concrete forget how often the OB was **** near empty, even for name opponents. Go watch the ND game from 1985 when Miami DEMOLISHED Faust and the Irish. Not a ton of butts in the seats. I was at the GT game in 05, same thing. It wasn't the building, IT WAS THE PLAYERS AND COACHES ON THE FIELD. Those were the people that made that place a tough place to play, the fans only mattered when it was the biggest game on the schedule.

That last game at the OB against Virginia, I stayed to the bitter end. I think I was in shock at the pathetic state we were in. I would have never thought I would have to put up with a decade of that. Thankfully we are on the road back to our glory days. Irony is another blowout (Clemson)
Got this turned around. Thank you, Dabo. Getting a change in school presidents helped. We went from Frankenstein to Franks. Coaching went from a Yugo to a Farrari.

Yep, because Frenk is sitting around worrying about the **** football program. LMFAO at the stupidity of our fanbase, believing that Dr. Shalala or Dr. Frenk are more than peripheral characters. They aren't dictators, they work for the BOT, and it is the BOT that makes the decisions in regards to the Athletic Department. If they want change, if they want something to happen, it will.

Advertisement
I have a feeling by the time we play the Hokies and ND people will be forgetting about the OB.
Hard Rock literately be rocking.

Last edited:
OP is spot on. Nobody liked coming to the OB. The place was just electric and intimidating to players AND opposing fans. I loved that place- could give a rats *** about the facilities.

Advertisement
Back