Tirek Austin-Cave up to 233

That's not a thing we do here. Most people here had written of Harley and Mallory and ****, you even had a bunch declare TVD "ain't it" based on some garbage time throws.
This is a board of exchanging ideas and opinions. Half the board was down on TVD after his first 2 conference starts. Even quoting negative stats after that 2 game sample size. I was/am one that saw TVD's greatness despite some early suspect play.

I don't think anyone should be bashing our own players. It's perfectly fine to critique them and give opinions on who we think is better or project who will win the job. This is what fans do.

Advertisement
But isnt it also okay to admit that some of those guys in the LB room just werent that good? I dont think any LB coach could help some of those guys. We need an infusion of talent as well. Chase Smith didnt need long to just look the part out there at LB. And buddy had played the position sparingly in HS. And he popped off the screen immediately. Alot of the guys in that room never gave us that feeling.
Absolutely. That's accurate too. But you gotta remember like you said it was something that was done sparingly for chase. It may sound stupid to say but in some instance no knowledge is better than all of it. Anotherwords linebacker is one of those positions where just instincts and attacking the ball can make a world of difference opposed to being someone who simply goes out and does your role inside of the gameplay. I'm not saying at all that those dudes had mastered Mandy's gameplay and they were playing good or even decent inside of it. But playcalling like Mandy was doing is based all upon a body here and a body there. It's misdirection and having people attack in what Mandy perceived as blind spots. For most in the know for football you'd see that broke down and our weaknesses at linebacker and at end were exposed when our tackles started being an issue. That defense started with simply having tackles able to account for multiple bodies and creating mismatches for ends,outside backers or strong safeties... It was a food chain essentially. Now kids will be asked to play inside of what should be there strengths. We'll find out quickly which ones are simply jags and which ones have just been getting bad coaching.bmyself I can't wait to see Chase,tirek & sam with these coaches... Just hoping Sam is still a possibility.

Absolutely. That's accurate too. But you gotta remember like you said it was something that was done sparingly for chase. It may sound stupid to say but in some instance no knowledge is better than all of it. Anotherwords linebacker is one of those positions where just instincts and attacking the ball can make a world of difference opposed to being someone who simply goes out and does your role inside of the gameplay. I'm not saying at all that those dudes had mastered Mandy's gameplay and they were playing good or even decent inside of it. But playcalling like Mandy was doing is based all upon a body here and a body there. It's misdirection and having people attack in what Mandy perceived as blind spots. For most in the know for football you'd see that broke down and our weaknesses at linebacker and at end were exposed when our tackles started being an issue. That defense started with simply having tackles able to account for multiple bodies and creating mismatches for ends,outside backers or strong safeties... It was a food chain essentially. Now kids will be asked to play inside of what should be there strengths. We'll find out quickly which ones are simply jags and which ones have just been getting bad coaching.bmyself I can't wait to see Chase,tirek & sam with these coaches... Just hoping Sam is still a possibility.
So sounds like lowkey you are saying that @Canezum5 has a point in what he is saying. LOL. Hey fair enough. Ill hold my judgement on Flagg then.

So sounds like lowkey you are saying that @Canezum5 has a point in what he is saying. LOL. Hey fair enough. Ill hold my judgement on Flagg then.
No, keep judging. That’s fine. It’s part of what comes from it. Don’t unfairly crucify without looking at the defense as whole and understanding what’s going on. I’m not saying you or anyone else is crazy but I think 95% of fans just see a play and have no idea what transpired other than someone making or missing a tackle. It wasn’t done to him on purpose, manny just sucked, but he was out there playing to fail no matter what because of the positions he was put in.. a Dave Aranda coach defense or dare I say Kevin Steele defense wouldn’t do that..

I don't know if TAC was handicapped because of the situation with his dad and the coaches. Definitely an opportunity for a fresh start.

He was handicpaped BEFORE that...hence his dad having to confront...because the past coaches were lying to him weekly about chances/shot at playing. He also advised he knew ALL of the LB positions.

Advertisement
Our only hope is that Mikel Jones comes here after Spring, otherwise, expect Flagg to start.
Hannibal Buress Thumbs Down GIF by Adult Swim

Playing time will do nothing but help. BUT that's not the end all when it relates to these boys. Every position group previously recieved coaching that limited their development to simply matches inside of the scheme. I REALLY don't think people comprehend how bad the coaching was previously towards development. Not gonna harp on it because far too much positive is going on right now inside of the program to bother with previous staph shortcomings. What I will say is the teachings of proven talent developers like Steele and Strong can't be spoke on enough. I gaurentee you a few of those boys are gonna be night and day come September. Just watch.

Man don’t be scared to teach. I know many of the mongoloids can’t take it, but most of us love to hear you explain things from your unique perspective.

Many here still underrate coaching. Manny is gone. He got a fat salary. We don’t owe him anything.

Bless us with the knowledge. You could tell we were poorly coached by our lack of fundamental skills across the board. Getting outran or overpowered is one thing, but we lacked skill to execute regardless of athletic ability. It was too widespread to be a player issue.

The more you could teach us about how and why that happened and its connection to hampered development would be HIGHLY APPRECIATED by the guys always looking to learn a little bit more. The more I learn from guys like you, Lance, Roman, El and so on, the better I am able to predict outcomes for players and the team as a whole.

Advertisement
All of the above. But he has the speed and striking ability we lack so badly at LB.
Or perhaps the coaching he has had up to this point has been pathetic. I mean we are talking Diaz and Patke. Our linebackers were put in bad situations where we blindly stunted and had our ends take themselves out of plays. Very easy to get to the second level to block our linebackers and for them to get lost in the wash. Without disruptive tackles these guys were sitting ducks. He is young enough where he can overcome any bad habits he learned from the last staff with very good coaching.

Last edited:
Maybe your right, but are you saying we should scheme our defense around Flagg because he has limitations?

Any competent OC and playcaller (we got one on Sept 20th in Jimbo Fisher) is going to look at Flagg and not go right at him but run circles around him and make him prove hes an athlete. Which hes not. If he has to go sideline to sideline or chase a running QB or chase wheel routes because Chase and Keontra are preoccupied with covering the TE seam or slot WR.... we are screwed.

I am hoping you are right about him. He will have every chance to prove you are right. Because ill be willing to bet even Gattis will test him in Spring. Test him big time.

Manny’s defense tried to reinvent the wheel. Worked for a while until it didn’t.

In the end it gave up too much for the occasional sack/til.

If we find a sideline to sideline Mike who can take Flagg’s snaps, great. However Flagg will get better and better between the tackles. I expect him to be a real eraser by the time he graduates. I think the game slows down even more and he looks like the tackling machine we signed.

We will be fine with Flagg if we use him right, whether as a starter or back up.

True, but that may not be saying much.

Manny's grades:

Coaching: C-
Recruiting: D+

Nah. I know it’s fun to **** on Manny. But C- coaches don’t produce the defenses he does. They don’t get P5 DC jobs on perennial Top 20 teams immediately. And his recruiting isn’t a D+. He’s gone, and he deserves to be. We’re obviously much better off. Thank god what happened did happen to get us to this point. But let’s not be “that guy”. He’s better than an average DC. The Ped State experiment will be interesting, IMO. A lot of people here have pointed out he struggled with the power Big 10 teams. I’m interested to see how he fares now that he gets them 9 times a year.

Advertisement
@Canezum5 has an idea of a point he is oversimplified. Using a quick snapshot to justify it and comparing the wrong player comp. Perryman was slow but very physical at point of attack. He was limited laterally but could shed blocks and moved the ball carrier backwards. Flagg was not put in position because he was more of a liability.

I think Flagg and Steed or good rotational players. Steed started coming on late. He probably has the most LB instinct on the team that i seen in games. You can see he was getting better as he moved away from the injuries. I think they were put in horrible positions where there was no edges being set and them having to fill randomly vacated gaps. It really was chaos. My point here is we have some serviceable guys who looked worse than they really are imo.

He was handicpaped BEFORE that...hence his dad having to confront...because the past coaches were lying to him weekly about chances/shot at playing. He also advised he knew ALL of the LB positions.
I don't know the background, what happened with his dad and coaches?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back