Tired of making the same post

The Candle stuff was 100 % BS , just like Briles.

The offer was widely reported, including by the local Toledo beat writers (who I assume are more plugged in than most). You think they were lying or lied to? As far as I can tell Candle didn't get a raise so he wasn't trying to get Toledo to up his salary like Briles did. You think Candle's people started the rumor? I think if the fake info came from the Canes side, they'd pick someone other than Candle to be Mario's #1 choice.

Advertisement
The offer was widely reported, including by the local Toledo beat writers (who I assume are more plugged in than most). You think they were lying or lied to? As far as I can tell Candle didn't get a raise so he wasn't trying to get Toledo to up his salary like Briles did. You think Candle's people started the rumor? I think if the fake info came from the Canes side, they'd pick someone other than Candle to be Mario's #1 choice.
A Toledo reporter put it out and some local Miami folks ran with it. Just like Briles agent leaked it out we were after him and he was never a serious candidate. I thought I shined a light on the media bs during the Ad and coaching searches. These guys lean stuff for a reason, their wasn’t many jobs left and Briles used this to get a raise. Mario would never hire a guy who runs his stuff. Mario has a relationship with Candle but that’s it.

A Toledo reporter put it out and some local Miami folks ran with it. Just like Briles agent leaked it out we were after him and he was never a serious candidate. If you don’t want to believe me that’s fine. I thought I shined a light on the media bs during the Ad and coaching searches.

I believe you, it's just the first I've heard it was fake. I was holding out a tiny bit of hope that Mario was willing to move to a 21st century offense. So much for that optimism. Gattis is pretty much a carbon copy of Mario's Oregon OC Joe Moorehead, so not a surprise he was the guy.

The Toledo beat writers got their information on Candle the same way the Albuquerque beat writers got their information on Eddie Nunez...

Advertisement
The Candle stuff was 100 % BS , just like Briles.
Wait now I am confused... I thought the Candle stuff was legit? Did your guys get taken for a ride on Candle as well? Here is what you wrote back in January

"Briles was never offered the job. I believe Candle was."

Wait now I am confused... I thought the Candle stuff was legit? Did your guys get taken for a ride on Candle as well? Here is what you wrote back in January

"Briles was never offered the job. I believe Candle was."
Yep. It was reported and I knew he had a relationship with Mario so I thought the reports could be legit, that’s why I said “ I believe with him “but was confident with Brikes being bs. When I asked “I was told neither was, there‘s a lot of bad info out”. Here’s a post a week and a half later and I clarified.

542287BC-E954-49B5-B7C5-9E3272CDEFF6.png

Yep. It was reported and I knew he had a relationship with Mario so I thought the reports could be legit, that’s why I said “ I believe with him “but was confident with Brikes being bs. When I asked “I was told neither was, there‘s a lot of bad info out”. Here’s a post a week and a half later and I clarified.

View attachment 209107

So would it be accurate to say Candle and Mario talked about an OC position but there was no formal offer? Another poster here mentioned that Candle told Mario that he wanted to bring his entire offensive staff with him, which basically ended the conversation. That could explain why there was no formal offer (if they did talk). That would still be worth noting since the fact that Candle runs a spread offense is not a secret.

Advertisement
Totally off topic but I don't know where else to ask this... what ever happened to Major Applewhite?

I think everyone remembers the drama with him being the supposed OC pick in 2019 (when we ended with Enos). Since then he's been an analyst at Bama and OC at South Alabama. What happened to this guy's career?

Some of you probably believe that the New Mexico AD really did turn us down and we settled for Rad

Yeah, we got sooooo lucky that it turned out exactly as you describe it...

Some mo-fos on this board just act like any random media report is immediately more true and reliable than things that the insiders talk about.

1663891784333.png

Advertisement
Wow. Safe to say we’re never entering modern football under Mario than if both of those more than qualified candidates weren’t options

Why do you say that? Candle was absolutely AN OPTION, it just never got to FORMAL OFFER stage because he wanted personnel control for the O-side and Mario had some other guys in mind.

I'm not sure why porsters turn these things into all-or-nothing types of analysis. Clearly we talked to Candle, who had to weigh whether to leave a G5 HC job for a P5 OC job.

Just because a person is "more qualified" doesn't mean that all the various considerations will line up. ****, we had people yapping about how we should offer the OC job to Dan Mullet, just because certain porsters thought they were qualified resume analysts. Had no bearing in any sort of reality where Mullet would have even considered such an offer.

As for Briles, he definitely got too cute over the conversations, and HE was the one who leaked out his candidacy, to get more money from Arkansas. That doesn't mean he was NEVER an option, but yes, there were some conversations. Mario used a lot of CONVERSATIONS to get to know certain coaches who were under contract at other schools, which is a different scenario than Mario had with, say, Steele.

Wow. Safe to say we’re never entering modern football under Mario than if both of those more than qualified candidates weren’t options
If you look at UGA, that's what Mario wants to run (UGA fans hated Monken year 1 fwiw). The problem is that we currently don't have the players to run the system successfully. Seems like we're ok with methodically developing it. Frustrating but MC seems to want to rebuild the whole thing from ground up.

/Pretty obvious Candle was the candidate. They just couldn't make it work. Briles was a name fans like to throw out there but his scheme/persona wouldn't ever be a fit for Mario. Even if he kicked the tires a bit, that's all it was (like NM AD). No hurt in letting people interview.

Advertisement
View attachment 208810

Yup. Corner on the boundary has his back turned. He likely has to make one guy miss and this is a TD. Absolute absolute worst, it's first and 10 from the 15 yard line.

He drops this, we miss a FG on the next play, and the place is going ballistic. Even though we held them to a 3 and out after this, their punter uncorks a 57 yard punt, and the next drives starts from our 9.

This was an absolute killer. Plenty of blame on the staff, and that's correct. But as a coach, what else do you want? One of your most electrifying players in space, wide open, the ball hits him directly in the chest. Make a play.
this play should be run for rooster not Parrish

Can you share any OCs that were considered or interviewed?

Various conversations were held with Dorsey, Chud (consultant), Brady, Gattis, Candle, and Briles. That does not mean every conversation lasted as long or went as far. Nor did most of those guys fly to Miami for a formal interview.

People can complain about Mario's coaching-search methods, but that's what he's comfortable with.

Besides Gattis, the only name on that list who had an absolute "the job is yours if you want it" status was Dorsey.

Various conversations were held with Dorsey, Chud (consultant), Brady, Gattis, Candle, and Briles. That does not mean every conversation lasted as long or went as far. Nor did most of those guys fly to Miami for a formal interview.

People can complain about Mario's coaching-search methods, but that's what he's comfortable with.

Besides Gattis, the only name on that list who had an absolute "the job is yours if you want it" status was Dorsey.
I'd love to know more about what went on with Brady. I'm a little more skeptical of him than most here, but I wonder how much interest there was on both sides. The discussion here was/is that Brady wants to be in the pros and so I understand that a QB coach in the NFL (Bills) is a good segue to another NFL oc position, but I presume that an OC gig here would have been far more visible.

Advertisement
Back