Timing is everything

Advertisement
I didn't ask, why doesn't he leave now? I asked, why don't they have an answer yet? What is he waiting on as far as giving them an answer? But you said you're not an insider so you wouldn't be expected to know. Cool, no problem.
Why are you assuming they don’t have an yet? What if they do?

Why are you assuming they don’t have an yet? What if they do?
And what if they don't? And who is the they? Which specific part of this rudderless athletic program is Mario even giving an answer to? Is it his Columbus buddies? Is it the group that allegedly put the brakes on the Jurich hire? Maybe he told Frenk and his two guys who are publicly in the process of finding and hiring an AD.

Advertisement
And what if they don't? And who is the they? Which specific part of this rudderless athletic program is Mario even giving an answer to? Is it his Columbus buddies? Is it the group that allegedly put the brakes on the Jurich hire? Maybe he told Frenk and his two guys who are publicly in the process of finding and hiring an AD.
I guess we will all find out together one way or another.

I keep seeing people say that if Lane is hired he will leave in 3-4 years for a better job…..I ask this question.

If Lane is doing as well as we think he will do how many jobs are better out there than a Miami job when the program is thriving.

You have a National brand unlike most others.You’re sitting in the middle of a tri-county area second to none for talent and the Miami areas offers as many if not more opportunities when it comes to NIL to entice said talent.

So where is Lane or any coach for that matter leaving for.It used to be Coaches would run to the NFL because of the money.That’s not the case anymore with contracts being pretty much on par with NFL contracts.Also in the NFL when you’re hired your clock starts ticking as to when you will be fired whereas in college you can stay at a school as long as you like if your winning on a consistent basis.How many long tenured coaches are there in the NFL for more than 5-6 years? If you’re winning in college you can get by with a down season every now and then.You don’t have this luxury in the pros cause owners don’t allow it.

So I mean the money would pretty much be the same OR better.It’s a lot easier to stay winning cause you can replace 20-25 players a year if players don’t work out as to opposed to having 6-8 draft picks and having a salary cap to contend with plus and this is a big plus…you’re not having to uproot your family every 5-6 years.

So where’s he going?

I agree dude. Im not sure where Lane goes from Miami if he comes here. I dont care what anybody says. While UM may not be a top 15 college job right now, it could be easily top 10 in a nanosecond if the Admin/BoT gets serious and puts the right team in place and supports them the way big boy programs are supported.

Said this in another thread earlier:

I’m not sure where Lane would go from Miami tbh. What colleges does he go too? Won’t be Alabama IMO. Saban will get a strong voice in who his successor is and I can’t see him picking Lane. Perhaps a scenario where Dabo goes to Bama and Clemson tries hiring Lane? ND isn’t hiring Lane. USC is off the table. He isn’t jumping to a LSU/TX type program if he has success at Miami and is paid well.

As for the NFL, that seems like a long shot to me. He is an unstable dude and I don’t know if he would get another shot. Urban and Rhule aren’t exactly helping the cause of hiring from the college ranks. I think Lane would **** near have to win a ring at Miami to get another shot at the NFL. If that happens, I’ll throw him a goodbye parade.

I agree dude. Im not sure where Lane goes from Miami if he comes here. I dont care what anybody says. While UM may not be a top 15 college job right now, it could be easily top 10 in a nanosecond if the Admin/BoT gets serious and puts the right team in place and supports them the way big boy programs are supported.

Said this in another thread earlier:

I’m not sure where Lane would go from Miami tbh. What colleges does he go too? Won’t be Alabama IMO. Saban will get a strong voice in who his successor is and I can’t see him picking Lane. Perhaps a scenario where Dabo goes to Bama and Clemson tries hiring Lane? ND isn’t hiring Lane. USC is off the table. He isn’t jumping to a LSU/TX type program if he has success at Miami and is paid well.

As for the NFL, that seems like a long shot to me. He is an unstable dude and I don’t know if he would get another shot. Urban and Rhule aren’t exactly helping the cause of hiring from the college ranks. I think Lane would **** near have to win a ring at Miami to get another shot at the NFL. If that happens, I’ll throw him a goodbye parade.
If lane has success here he’s staying. He’d mean as much to Miami as Dabo to Clemson and Saban to Alabama. A lot of glory,fame, and money will be received by the coach who resurrects our program. Kiffin is about all three of those things.

It’s honestly a perfect fit. Brash, confident, and hated. Everything Miami was when it was at its best. He’d be a legend and all he has to do is beat up on Duke,Pitt,Vtech,Gtech,and UNC every year. Send us to ACC championships and the playoff appearances will come along with that. Not to mention he loves South Florida, this is a destination job for him.

I think too many of us fans are falling in love with the idea of a former cane, Miami guy doing it. Mario is a solid coach, but I don’t think he wins immediately, and he hasn’t dominated the Pac12 with all those resources and USC in shambles. He’s a great recruiter, but we don’t need that in Miami. The city sells itself, this isn’t Eugene Oregon, or some middle of nowhere town in the SEC.

You win here, elite south Florida talent stays. Period. We need a jumpstart to get the ball rolling and Lane provides that as he’s won fast at multiple stops where these programs were struggling before.

….but you had time to scroll your “trolladex” to post this weak *** ****? Ok, pal.🙄 You read it…you like it…😌
Alex Newell Dancing GIF by PBS

Advertisement
The great debate right now amongst fellow Canes fans is, inarguably, whether Mario or Lane should be the next coach of our beloved Hurricanes. I have witnessed great cases/arguments made in support of each candidate’s bid for the gig.

It basically boils down to (3) main points of contention; 1). Tenure/“program building”. How long will each coach stay? 2). Recruiting. Who’s the better recruiter? Who can stack the type of talent needed to take the next step? And 3). Coaching. Quite simply, who’s the better game day, X’s and O’s guy? When listening to the arguments either way, I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone is basically correct? The main thing causing the rift amongst us is “timing”. Both of these coaches will, I believe, do very well at Miami, but at different times.

To the first point, tenure/program building, the general consensus has been that Mario would have a longer tenure here, thereby providing stability and build up the program via recruiting and the like. Conversely, the general consensus has been that Kiffin is more of a journeyman and will only stay a few years before he’s off to the NFL. Ok. Here’s the complexity regarding this particular point. 1). Will Mario feel comfortable leaving his kids and what he’s built at Oregon before his vision has reached fruition? Will Mario feel comfortable prematurely leaving a program that has seemingly given him everything he’s needed to compete? It’s both a question of loyalty and accomplishment of personal and professional goals. Conversely, there’s no complexity when it comes to Kiffin. He will probably be at Miami for a maximum (4) years and bounce for a better opportunity. But that would almost certainly mean that he’s had success at Miami. Kiffin is eager to return to south Florida and take a very sharp weapon to the collective throat of cfb. His mind is clear and there’s no vacillation of any sort.

To the second point, recruiting. Again, the general consensus is that Mario is the better recruiter. I think the fan base is correct on this point also (although Kiffin isn’t exactly a slouch in this department). I, too, believe Mario will get better players (and more of them) to commit to the Canes. But I, and many others here, also subscribe to the fact that winning is actually the BEST recruiter and point of recruiting has a natural correlation to point (3)-coaching. Again, comes down to timing. Who’s the better game day coach? General consensus? Lane is definitely a better tactician on the sideline. Some believe Mario does less with more (out recruited his competitors, yet struggles with inferior competition) and Kiffin has proven that he can do more with less (see last nights results in relation to this season). So what does all of this have to do with timing? Most of you guys are super smart and already see where I’m going with this- BOTH coaches need to be hired to coach here…but at different times.

Lane needs to be our next coach. Period. Why? Because of point 1). Tenure. While Mario will stay and build up the program, he is not a game day savant and will need exceptional talent to bridge the gap in coaching acumen. He will need time…and WILL drop games early on that he should win. We are an impatient bunch and simply are out of patience after what we’ve endured over the last 15 years or so. As soon as he loses to one of the Tobacco Road teams, the “mopes v. Slurpers” schism is instantly reconstituted and it’s on and poppin’, lol. “Mario’s a corch!” and we are, once again, cobbling together funds to fly banners. Bad timing. But Lane will win RIGHT AWAY. We will NOT drop games to lesser comp and by year 3, I solidly believe we will be a lethal, legit team and in the playoffs. We return to the top and recruiting takes off…but so does kiffin- but only after we have #6 in the trophy case. Meanwhile, in the Pacific Northwest, Mario has honored his commitment to both himself, and the Oregon program. After continuing to cut his teeth on the PAC 12, he has since become a better game day coach, and has come to the realization that he simply can’t win it all at Oregon. He is watching what Lane is doing at Miami. Lane leaves for the NFL and Mario, without any consternation or regret, finally comes home to a program abuzz AND a stacked roster. This will enable Mario/Miami to maintain success and respectability (i.e. not dropping games to any sh1tty ACC teams not named Clemson) while he continues to grow as a coach and stack talent on his way to building another Canes dynasty. He doesn’t instantly have this insane pressure to win big right away because we, as a fan base, will be still be somewhat satiated by just having won it all couple of years earlier and thus, we don’t “eat our own”. Mario is able to ease into the job and the energy of the program is just…right.

Timing is, indeed everything. Lane first. Mario second. We all win.
OP needs to be the adviser to President Frenk lol....you're 1,000% spot on.

I literally just asked someone today in another post, how many years does the fan base give Mario to win the Coastal. Imo if Mario doesn't do the Richt special and be in the ACC title game by Year 2, Cane Nation will be calling for his head

OP needs to be the adviser to President Frenk lol....you're 1,000% spot on.

I literally just asked someone today in another post, how many years does the fan base give Mario to win the Coastal. Imo if Mario doesn't do the Richt special and be in the ACC title game by Year 2, Cane Nation will be calling for his head
“Any competent coach can win the Coastal with this talent.”

Advertisement
If you had to pick Mario or Lane, who and why?
I’m not against Mario. What I like about him is the commitment of resources behind him+ recruiting. He also loses games he shouldn’t, is not as disciplined as we claim (penalties are on par with us) and needs both an OC and DC.

Lane can run an offense that I think we’d excel with and would only need a DC. He’s a bit weird and unless it was clear that Mario made the decision NOT to come home, half the fans will be quick to turn against the not-Mario guy.

It took Stoops 9 years to get a Kentucky to whatever level of respectability we want to call what he has there.

Similar to @Liberty City El, I think Lane wins faster.

I’ll take the fastest route and build through that vs the painful slow build route and hope.

BUT first, announce Jurich tomorrow and commit the resources to the program (not the coach).

We can have both:
Get Lane NOW, he wins a Natty within 3 years and bolts. Then you bring Mario back home with more reasonable expectations.

Advertisement
I’m not against Mario. What I like about him is the commitment of resources behind him+ recruiting. He also loses games he shouldn’t, is not as disciplined as we claim (penalties are on par with us) and needs both an OC and DC.

Lane can run an offense that I think we’d excel with and would only need a DC. He’s a bit weird and unless it was clear that Mario made the decision NOT to come home, half the fans will be quick to turn against the not-Mario guy.

It took Stoops 9 years to get a Kentucky to whatever level of respectability we want to call what he has there.

Similar to @Liberty City El, I think Lane wins faster.

I’ll take the fastest route and build through that vs the painful slow build route and hope.

BUT first, announce Jurich tomorrow and commit the resources to the program (not the coach).
I agree. Lane is the better candidate between the two.

If we miss on both, anyone heard of an elite OFF minded HC name Gundy?? There's the TX pipeline handled that LCE spoke of. Recruiting, hard to say, Oklahoma region is very different than Florida/Southeast.

Advertisement
Back