Timing is everything

Mario and Kiddin have more track record and are less of a gamble that way. That’s probably why he’d be after them in priority at this point. Still a strong defensive coach.
Key to getting a bag for a coach (Fleck, Tucker, Aranda example) lower the bar the first year and perform well the second year.

Advertisement
So why don't they have an answer yet? We've been told this has been in the works for awhile and the Columbus Crew want Mario. Has he said no only 5 times? Not sure what he's waiting on if his boys are gonna give him everything we wants.
I’ll say it again… I don’t think Mario wants to leave Oregon just yet. Unfinished business/loyalty type of thing…

I think you touched on something important. There is going to be a big time commitment to the program if mario is hired, but is the same true for lane?
I would certainly hope so. This thing could be fck’g HUMMING by the time Mario is ready to make the move in a few years…

I think you touched on something important. There is going to be a big time commitment to the program if mario is hired, but is the same true for lane?
Make no mistake - Kiffin knows the resources it takes to win just as well as Cristobal does.

He's interested in the job because he's heard the new powers are taking football seriously. If he doesn't get everything he asks for he's signing that fat contract extension with Ole Miss and sitting tight for a year or two until the next opportunity comes along.

You can't short change him if you don't get Cristobal.

Advertisement
I’m with you, I think both would be successful.

My thing is I think we’d be more likely to win a title with Mario, and frankly that’s what we’re all here for. I think we’d be more likely to win the ACC and have a 11-12 win season next year with Lane but unless Jake stays I don’t think it’d be as sustainable. Mario would probably be a 7-8 win team next year but In 2-3 years I think we’re a consistent top 10 team. We’re coming up on 20 years since #6 was stolen from us, I can wait 2-3 years if it means sustained success, the Miami roller coaster is gonna kill me if it continues much longer.
I think the opposite.

You're going to out-talent the competition with Cristobal, but lose a head scratcher or two a year to derail your National Title hopes. I just can't overlook that Utah loss - that was startling.

With Kiffin you probably won't be as consistent, but you have a chance to go on a run every now and again that takes you to the Playoffs with a shot to beat anyone.

Advertisement
I would certainly hope so. This thing could be fck’g HUMMING by the time Mario is ready to make the move in a few years…
Kinda have a feeling Mario would want Miami to prove that they’ve got their **** together before making a move. And proving it might take a “job hopper” like Kiffin getting in first. Work out all the infighting and run it like a big time program for a couple of years. I have my doubts considering where he is that Mario would want to be in on the ground floor

Who says he "hasn't" given UM an answer yet??
Which UM? The faction that is leaking bad intel to Ferman or the ones telling 247 that a new AD alongside Frenk will hire the coach? Or is UM the Columbus Crew? No way those groups have already agreed on a coach when they can’t even agree on firing Diaz

Advertisement
Both splash hires, desperate attempts to buy respect. Give me the coach who squeezes the most juice out of his players and has them playing disciplined week in and week out. Give me stoops.

I didn't ask, why doesn't he leave now? I asked, why don't they have an answer yet? What is he waiting on as far as giving them an answer? But you said you're not an insider so you wouldn't be expected to know. Cool, no problem.
Honestly, he could have already given them an answer. We wouldn’t know it yet, of course. We don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes. Either way, it doesn’t look like we’ll know something concrete on the coaching front, until after the bowl games.

Kinda have a feeling Mario would want Miami to prove that they’ve got their **** together before making a move. And proving it might take a “job hopper” like Kiffin getting in first. Work out all the infighting and run it like a big time program for a couple of years. I have my doubts considering where he is that Mario would want to be in on the ground floor
I’m of the belief that the draw of moving back home and coaching his Alma Mater (not to mention the millions of dollars they are going to throw at him) will be too enticing for Mario to turn down, but FWIW that FLO guy agrees with you. He seems to think we’re a few years away from being in a place where Mario would actually considering leaving Oregon to come here. He also guessed that we would end up with Kiffin.

Advertisement
The great debate right now amongst fellow Canes fans is, inarguably, whether Mario or Lane should be the next coach of our beloved Hurricanes. I have witnessed great cases/arguments made in support of each candidate’s bid for the gig.

It basically boils down to (3) main points of contention; 1). Tenure/“program building”. How long will each coach stay? 2). Recruiting. Who’s the better recruiter? Who can stack the type of talent needed to take the next step? And 3). Coaching. Quite simply, who’s the better game day, X’s and O’s guy? When listening to the arguments either way, I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone is basically correct? The main thing causing the rift amongst us is “timing”. Both of these coaches will, I believe, do very well at Miami, but at different times.

To the first point, tenure/program building, the general consensus has been that Mario would have a longer tenure here, thereby providing stability and build up the program via recruiting and the like. Conversely, the general consensus has been that Kiffin is more of a journeyman and will only stay a few years before he’s off to the NFL. Ok. Here’s the complexity regarding this particular point. 1). Will Mario feel comfortable leaving his kids and what he’s built at Oregon before his vision has reached fruition? Will Mario feel comfortable prematurely leaving a program that has seemingly given him everything he’s needed to compete? It’s both a question of loyalty and accomplishment of personal and professional goals. Conversely, there’s no complexity when it comes to Kiffin. He will probably be at Miami for a maximum (4) years and bounce for a better opportunity. But that would almost certainly mean that he’s had success at Miami. Kiffin is eager to return to south Florida and take a very sharp weapon to the collective throat of cfb. His mind is clear and there’s no vacillation of any sort.

To the second point, recruiting. Again, the general consensus is that Mario is the better recruiter. I think the fan base is correct on this point also (although Kiffin isn’t exactly a slouch in this department). I, too, believe Mario will get better players (and more of them) to commit to the Canes. But I, and many others here, also subscribe to the fact that winning is actually the BEST recruiter and point of recruiting has a natural correlation to point (3)-coaching. Again, comes down to timing. Who’s the better game day coach? General consensus? Lane is definitely a better tactician on the sideline. Some believe Mario does less with more (out recruited his competitors, yet struggles with inferior competition) and Kiffin has proven that he can do more with less (see last nights results in relation to this season). So what does all of this have to do with timing? Most of you guys are super smart and already see where I’m going with this- BOTH coaches need to be hired to coach here…but at different times.

Lane needs to be our next coach. Period. Why? Because of point 1). Tenure. While Mario will stay and build up the program, he is not a game day savant and will need exceptional talent to bridge the gap in coaching acumen. He will need time…and WILL drop games early on that he should win. We are an impatient bunch and simply are out of patience after what we’ve endured over the last 15 years or so. As soon as he loses to one of the Tobacco Road teams, the “mopes v. Slurpers” schism is instantly reconstituted and it’s on and poppin’, lol. “Mario’s a corch!” and we are, once again, cobbling together funds to fly banners. Bad timing. But Lane will win RIGHT AWAY. We will NOT drop games to lesser comp and by year 3, I solidly believe we will be a lethal, legit team and in the playoffs. We return to the top and recruiting takes off…but so does kiffin- but only after we have #6 in the trophy case. Meanwhile, in the Pacific Northwest, Mario has honored his commitment to both himself, and the Oregon program. After continuing to cut his teeth on the PAC 12, he has since become a better game day coach, and has come to the realization that he simply can’t win it all at Oregon. He is watching what Lane is doing at Miami. Lane leaves for the NFL and Mario, without any consternation or regret, finally comes home to a program abuzz AND a stacked roster. This will enable Mario/Miami to maintain success and respectability (i.e. not dropping games to any sh1tty ACC teams not named Clemson) while he continues to grow as a coach and stack talent on his way to building another Canes dynasty. He doesn’t instantly have this insane pressure to win big right away because we, as a fan base, will be still be somewhat satiated by just having won it all couple of years earlier and thus, we don’t “eat our own”. Mario is able to ease into the job and the energy of the program is just…right.

Timing is, indeed everything. Lane first. Mario second. We all win.
disco laughing GIF

I’m of the belief that the draw of moving back home and coaching his Alma Mater (not to mention the millions of dollars they are going to throw at him) will be too enticing for Mario to turn down, but FWIW that FLO guy agrees with you. He seems to think we’re a few years away from being in a place where Mario would actually considering leaving Oregon to come here. He also guessed that we would end up with Kiffin.
Great. Let’s get on with it then.

Advertisement
Back